INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Proper bass management  (Read 3436 times)

narbi

• Junior Woodchuck
Proper bass management
« on: February 12, 2017, 08:10:30 am »

Hi,

Slowly moving from a prepro + external crossover setup to a full JRiver > pro soundcard > power amps setup I'd like to make sure on the bass management part I will be able to set things up the way I'd like to.

First some background to make sure everyone speaks the same language.

.1 Channel : it contains the separate LFE channel recorded at the same level as one unique standard channel in the 5.1 mix
Sub Channel : references the redirected bass from the other channels

If only one subwoofer is used (my case) both have to be mixed, but what about the levels...

The usual +10db on LFE is because it has the same level as one unique channel (let's say center channel), NOT because it is recorded 10db lower than the oters.
So where do these 10db come from ? Considering coupling at low frequencies (lower than around 80-100Hz) to have the same energy as 2 channels the boost will have to be +6db (twice the surface, and twice the power).
We are considering here that all five channels are only partly correlated (due to distance between them and the room itself) we will be somewhere in-between the standard log 10 (for uncorrelated sources) and log 20 (for correlated sources) as a result for the boost to be applied.
+10db was retained as an overall average answer.

That means it only applies to LFE channel and the redirected bass from other channels has nothing to do with it.

That means that the +10db one LFE are not set in stone, but are function of the number of speaker channels actually used at the output, and the room/acoustics itself.
If you play a 5.1 movie downmixed to a stereo + sub setup, the LFE boost applied and sent to subwoofer will not be +10db, but more like +5db. That's why some AVR have a LFE channel level adjustment, from 0 down to -10 (after the +10 boost every avr applies automatically)

Now there are 2 ways of dealing with this : the AVR way, and the right way

The AVRs will mix redirected bass and LFE into one single output and then you will have to choose between 2 evils :
- loose the upper part of the LFE (up do 120Hz) when your speakers are crossed over with the sub part at lower frequencies to ensure phase match between LFE and redirected bass potentially correlated signals
- filter sub and LFE separately (some AVRs can do it), but then you will have cancellation and loss of power in the summed signals itself due to phase cancellations from different crossovers summed in one channel, because slopes of crossovers cannot be set
The first one is the lesser evil I think, and what is usually done in AVRs

About the right way to do it requires external crossover, and the right prepro (Denon AVP, Trinnov Altitude, Lexicon MC12, that's about it):
- sum all 5 channels into one, unfiltered channel
- output LFE as is, unfiltered
- got those signals into an external crossover, and process them separately, one crossover on the sub part to match the fronts (say 60Hz 24db), double order filter 1 octave higher on LFE to maintain overall summed phase in the end (say 120Hz 48db)
- then mix them and output them to amplifier and subwoofer

From what I've checked so far it seems JRiver will be able to let me do it the right way using its internal DSP, I will use a Motu 1248 as a pro soundcard for output, so I think this should work, but I'd like to have some confirmation before I jump into this :)

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Proper bass management
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2017, 09:24:30 am »

That means that the +10db one LFE are not set in stone, but are function of the number of speaker channels actually used at the output, and the room/acoustics itself.
If you play a 5.1 movie downmixed to a stereo + sub setup, the LFE boost applied and sent to subwoofer will not be +10db, but more like +5db. That's why some AVR have a LFE channel level adjustment, from 0 down to -10 (after the +10 boost every avr applies automatically)

it's not entirely clear but you seem to be confusing handling the LFE channel (which is a +10dB offset to the LFE channel) with providing the digital headroom to sum multiple channels (which does vary with channel count and requires ~8dB for a 7.1 mix if you assume the worst case of a full scale signal on all channels at the same time).

A typical setup is

- reduce main channels by 10+x dB (where x is the headroom you decide to allow for bass management)
- reduce LFE by x dB
- low pass mains
- sum low passes with LFE to produce subwoofer output channel
- increase main channels by 10+x dB

you now have a SW output channel which is 10+x dB too low so you need to recover that gain somewhere or alternatively you leave out that last step. The ideal approach is just a gain structure question so that depends on your signal chain.

narbi

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2017, 10:51:53 am »

Yes headroom can be an issue here that should be dealt with, but it's not what I meant there.
That part was explaining that the +10 on LFE in the norm is to have the same power response from the LFE in the subwoofer as from the combined remaining speakers on the other channels, acoustically. And that acoustic response needs +10db on average when 5 channels are used, but it is no more true when less channels are used.

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2017, 11:10:09 am »

you seem to be suggesting that the 10dB should vary with (main) channel count, are you?

narbi

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2017, 11:40:27 am »

Yes.
+10 is the norm because you're supposed to use 5 channels, but if you downmix, it is not the right number anymore. Besides when a downmix is applied, the norm discards LFE, here I'm talking of keeping it :)
The redirected bass from the 5 channels is unaffected of course.

What I would do in jriver is :
- sum all the channels into a new one that will be the sub part (before crossover)
- apply crossover to that new channel to match the one of the other speakers
- apply the right boost to LFE channel and the right crossover to match in phase the other sub channel
- mix LFE into the new sub channel
- output to soundcard

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2017, 01:05:10 pm »

Sorry, I missed the fact you were talking about a stereo downmix.

narbi

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2017, 11:21:37 am »

No problem.
I think a much appreciated setting would be the option to set the desired LFE level, +10 being default, and a custom option allowing anything between 0 and +10.
Pages: [1]   Go Up