INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Import issue: What are the supported video formats?  (Read 4385 times)

t1

• Recent member
Import issue: What are the supported video formats?
« on: February 12, 2017, 05:32:09 pm »

Hi,
First time user of JRiver Media Center. Having trouble with Importing Videos files and streaming them via DLNA to Clients.

Versions:
Media Center 22.0.54
DLNA client: Oppo

Couple of issues:
1. MC is not able to import several mp4 video files.   Metadata of one such video file below:
General:
Format : MPEG-4
Format profile : Base Media / Version 2
Codec ID : mp42 (mp42/isom/avc1)
File size : 24.2 GiB
Overall bit rate mode : Variable
Overall bit rate : 24.2 Mbps
Video
ID : 1
Format : AVC
Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile : High@L4.1
Format settings, CABAC : Yes
Format settings, ReFrames : 4 frames
Codec ID : avc1
Codec ID/Info : Advanced Video Coding

Are there specific files & formats that are MC requires/supports ?  . do I have to install any plugins for MC to understand them?

2. Few video files get imported, but they get placed in "Documents" type, not Video type.    One such file has the following metadata
Format : MPEG-4
Format profile : Base Media / Version 2
Codec ID : mp42 (mp42/isom/avc1)
File size : 10.8 GiB
Overall bit rate mode : Variable
Overall bit rate : 7 910 Kbps

These files in "Documents" do not show up, when streaming through DLNA.   Media Server/DLNA has been configured.

Media Server JRiver is visible from Oppo , but no files show up in Video sub-folders.

Even trying to play any of these files locally on MAC OS , that have been imported under "Documents" in MC gives "Something went wrong with the Playback" error.

Thanks

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Import issue: What are the suppored video formats
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2017, 05:41:01 pm »

MC has all of it's video support "baked in".  There are no CODECS to install or anything like that.  In practice I've had a small handful of videos that would crash MC and not import.  I believe those videos had really old unusual CODECs or perhaps were authored in a non-standard way.

I have never had an MP4 video that would not import.

As far as streaming to a DLNA host, that is outside the scope of what MC will import and what MC will play.  The DLNA host and MC's configuration for DLNA video are separate.  Once you get the importing, and local playing, working, maybe you will start another thread in the Media Network forum about DLNA video support.

Finally, I have had a small number of videos import as "document" type.  I'm not clear on why this happens, but it seems to mostly be when I'm importing lots of videos.  But not always.

Luckily the cure is very very simple.  Just select the "document" and open the tagging window (Edit > Tag).  Then find the Media Type and set it to Video.  You may also need to set the Media Sub Type to Movie, TV Show, etc.  In EVERY case on my system, simply changing these two fields has yielded video that I can play and that appears in the proper place in MC.

Good luck.

Brian.

t1

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2017, 07:00:00 pm »

Thanks for the response, but no luck.

On the imported video files under "Documents" , Edit ->Tag only allows edits to Date & Name fields, not Video Type. Currently I see "Media Type" as "Data" and "Media sub Type" as "Movie".  Cant play them( any of them) within MC(same "Something went wrong with the Playback" error).

I even tried to Right click on the Files (within Standard View) and Copy the "Media sub Type" to "Media Type", Media_type will be set to "Movie", enabling playback. But instead it cleared the "Media Type" to <none>...now its not even a "Data" file! and throws different error(not supported format blah).

Another file, that wouldnt play (after MC importing AVI file as Document Data file)
"
Format : AVI
Format/Info : Audio Video Interleave
File size : 90.9 MiB
Overall bit rate : 1 298 Kbps
Video
ID : 0
Format : AVC
Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile : Main@L3
Format settings, CABAC : Yes
Format settings, ReFrames : 2 frames
Codec ID : H264
Color space : YUV
Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
Bit depth : 8 bits
"

Well, am disappointed with my limited experience with MediaCenter..cant import and play a single file. (All these play natively on the MAC with VLC player).

Any help ?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2017, 07:06:38 pm »

Currently I see "Media Type" as "Data" and "Media sub Type" as "Movie".
Set the Media Type to Video.

t1

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2017, 07:18:10 pm »

Set the Media Type to Video.

Edit->Tag allows me to update only Date & Name fields, not "Media Type". "Media Sub Type" is "Movie"  but that doesnt seem help in playing.

blgentry

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2017, 07:32:37 pm »

You might need to use the "Gear menu" at the upper left of the Tagging Window to "show all fields". Then, once you can see "Media Type", you can change it!

Again, this is [Media Type] not "video type".  Set [Media Type] to Video and you should be good to go.

Brian.

t1

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2017, 07:59:17 pm »

Sorry, couldnt find such Gear menu & Tagging Window..

In the meanwhile, following the instructions at http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Edit_Properties_Directly_in_the_List_Pane  ,  I was able to Edit the File(via Rename!) properties and set the Media type to Video, for all these files.

But still no luck with playing them. Same error.

blgentry

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2017, 08:02:02 pm »

Slow down.

Open the Tagging Window with Edit > Tag.

Open the gear menu by clicking on it in the upper left hand corner of the Tagging Window.

Brian.

t1

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2017, 08:14:39 pm »

Open the Tagging Window with Edit > Tag.

Open the gear menu by clicking on it in the upper left hand corner of the Tagging Window.

Thanks, I see it( it was a tiny square,was looking for a gear ;)).  So I do see the Media Type (Video) and Media Sub Type(Movie) set correctly , already ( through the previous Rename exercise). No luck.

blgentry

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2017, 05:50:37 pm »

As I said, setting the Media Type (and sub type) correctly has always fixed these videos for me. I'm not sure why you are having problems playing.  Unless you are testing with your DLNA video player?  If so, you should switch to local playback as a test.  Local playback is sort of the "normal way" of doing things and will help isolate whether this is an MC video playback issue or a DLNA issue.

Good luck!

Brian.

t1

• Recent member
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2017, 05:10:55 pm »

They do play now :-) , was playing around with few config options & restarted MC..(shame on me, didnt note down the settings changes)

Thanks...Now the Device Discovery server doesnt seem to start.,cant see the DLNA server from clients. Will open a different thread.
Pages: [1]   Go Up