INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Duplicate album listing  (Read 1389 times)

garyi

• Recent member
Duplicate album listing
« on: February 18, 2017, 04:50:33 pm »

I have a number of sources over my network shares and some albums are doubled up. Also some albums are slightly different i.e. remasters or whatever.

When getting pulled into JRiver these albums are being combined. Is there a way that they will be displayed separately, specified by the fact they are from different locations?

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Duplicate album listing
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2017, 05:19:15 pm »

This is a complicated topic in general.  I've done a few projects on duplicate removal and developed some methods. But it's not exactly easy.  I've also spent time identifying different versions of the same album, which was also a lot of manual work.

The end result was pretty satisfactory though.

I suppose you would write an expression that took into account the parent directory, and used both the parent directory and the [Album] tag for sorting purposes.  You'd need to experiment with this, using a custom view, to see if it's viable.  The filefolder() function would probably be of use:

https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/File_Path_and_Identifier_Functions#FileFolder

The question is, how many of these do you have?  If it's something like 20 or 30, then doing it by hand is probably going to be more accurate.  If it's more than that, then a more automated solution, as I was just describing, would probably be better.

Good luck,

Brian.

syndromeofadown

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2017, 07:17:05 pm »

You could change your audio views to display something like [Album]-[Volume Name] instead of just [Album].

I agree with blgentry that it's a job best done manually. I removed all of my duplicates a few years ago and it was well worth the trouble. I spend an evening to do 500 or so.  I believe I found them all by making a view that sorted albums by location, the duplicate albums had a location called [Varies] and they showed up first.

~OHM~

• "I Don't Play The Music The Music Plays Me"
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2017, 08:48:35 pm »

there is also a smart list called possible duplicates, tho I have never looked at it, it's there.
“I've Reached A Turning Point In My Life. I Now Realize I Have More Yesterdays Then Tomorrows”
Pages: [1]   Go Up