INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Windows Share and Debian  (Read 2844 times)

shadowlight

• Junior Woodchuck
Windows Share and Debian
« on: February 18, 2017, 05:09:16 pm »

First up.  This is not a JRiver problem but I am hoping that someone can help me with my problem.  JRiver expects to have read write privilege on the drive that music is located under.

I am trying to setup JRiver on Debian x64 (Stretch) with latest updates and everything is working correctly.  The problem that I have is my music is stored on Windows 2008 server which is part of a domain.  I am successfully able to mount the Windows share but unable to write anything to the mount point.  Just trying to to "touch /media/music/foo.txt" give me permission denied error.  I have confirmed that permission are correct and the share is mounted as read/write.  I even set the uid,gid to the account that has read/write privilege.

Command that I am using to mount the share

Code: [Select]
mount -v -t cifs -o user,credentials=/etc/.smbcred,uid=jriver,gid=jriver,file_mode=0777,dir_mode=0777 //10.19.67.35/public/Music2 /media/music
Directory listing before mounting the share.

jriver@jriver:/media$ ls -la
total 208
drwxr-xr-x  5 root   root     4096 Feb 18 16:37 .
drwxr-xr-x 22 root   root     4096 Feb 17 20:42 ..
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root   root        6 Feb 17 20:41 cdrom -> cdrom0
drwxr-xr-x  2 root   root     4096 Feb 17 20:41 cdrom0
drwxrwxrwx  2 jriver jriver 196608 Feb 18 15:02 music
drwxr-xr-x  2 jriver jriver   4096 Feb 18 17:02 Music2

Directory listing after mounting the share.

jriver@jriver:/media$ ls -la
total 208
drwxr-xr-x  5 root   root     4096 Feb 18 16:37 .
drwxr-xr-x 22 root   root     4096 Feb 17 20:42 ..
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root   root        6 Feb 17 20:41 cdrom -> cdrom0
drwxr-xr-x  2 root   root     4096 Feb 17 20:41 cdrom0
drwxrwxrwx  2 jriver jriver 196608 Feb 18 15:02 music
drwxr-xr-x  2 jriver jriver   4096 Feb 18 17:02 Music2

Error message
jriver@jriver:/media/music$ touch foo
touch: cannot touch 'foo': Permission denied

I also tried mounting the driver under /home/jriver/Music and got the same error message.  Any idea on what I should check for?

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
Re: Windows Share and Debian
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2017, 06:07:07 pm »

Have you checked the samba permissions on the *server*?  If the share isn't read/write (or if the "jriver" user isn't listed on the config for the share in question) most samba servers default ot read only guest access.  The client can't override the server if the user isn't listed or the share is set to read only

shadowlight

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2017, 06:08:42 pm »

Have you checked the samba permissions on the *server*?  If the share isn't read/write (or if the "jriver" user isn't listed on the config for the share in question) most samba servers default ot read only guest access.  The client can't override the server if the user isn't listed or the share is set to read only

The share is located on Windows 2008 server and I did confirm that jriver as user has r/w privilege on the share.

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2017, 06:14:59 pm »

That is odd.  Can root on the client write to the share?  What happens if you don't do a user mount, but instead mount it as root or in the fstab?

If root on the client can't write to it, it's almost certainly an authentication issue (either your credentials aren't working or something on the server is misconfigured).

shadowlight

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2017, 09:23:29 pm »

That is odd.  Can root on the client write to the share?  What happens if you don't do a user mount, but instead mount it as root or in the fstab?

If root on the client can't write to it, it's almost certainly an authentication issue (either your credentials aren't working or something on the server is misconfigured).

@mwillems,

Got it working.  Had to reapply the share permission and I am up and running.

Thanks for your help.
Pages: [1]   Go Up