INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Video freezes, stutters and sometimes crashes computer  (Read 2003 times)

Trumpetguy

• Citizen of the Universe
Video freezes, stutters and sometimes crashes computer
« on: February 20, 2017, 03:53:48 am »

Lately (past few weeks), video has been freezing up at random times. MC22, always latest build, right now 22.0.75. Win 10, ROHQ, playback of ripped blurays (mkv).

The symptom is that audio and video suddely freezes, and most times the screen goes black (not black as in no signal, but projector is sending somthing that is looking like "movie" black if that makes sense). Then one of these things happen:

1. Video starts to stutter after a few seconds, then picks up speed and goes back to normal. OR
2. Video stops playing totally, but I am able to either kill MC directly or via Task Manager. OR
3. Video stops and does not react to any keyboard or mouse instructions. Need to cycle power.

These three outcomes are totally random. The occurrence is also random, and happens both on new movies and on older ones watched before without trouble (the same computer). Sometimes, it can happen twice, sometimes one time pr movie. But for the past 5-10 movies, the frequency has increased from once a year (if ever) to at least once pr movie.

I have no idea what causes this, and Windows Event Viewer shows nothing. I am worried that there is a failing disk or two, but Hard Disk Sentinel is reporting 100% performance and I cool the disks to ~25°C. Another option is a failing hard drive controller or mobo. Or video card (nVidia 660Ti), or video driver (happened on at least the two-three latest versions). I have not had the patience to watch entire movies in other media players to compare...

I would greatly appreciate help and suggestions on how to troubleshoot this issue.

CountryBumkin

Re: Video freezes, stutters and sometimes crashes computer
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2017, 05:28:12 am »

Play the movie with Windows Resource or Performance Monitor window open. Watch the CPU, Mem, Disk activity graphs. see if any of those spike during the time when the video goes choppy.
Is the media stored on the computer or are you using a network feed?

Trumpetguy

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2017, 05:32:27 am »

Thank's, I'll try that. Is there any way to trend those data for later analysis without having them visible while watching the movie?

All media is stored on local disks.

Trumpetguy

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2017, 05:34:33 am »

I Googled, there are plenty ways to log and store performance data, it seems.

Manfred

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2017, 03:34:57 pm »

Use GPU-Z for monitoring GPU Load.
Use Win Task Manager and Ressource Monitor to monitor CPU, Network etc.
If you have Win 10 and Windows does it upgrade process in the background then sometimes this could lead to 100% CPU utilization, dependent how strong your CPU is.
Also check if the problem occurs if Antivirus is running.

WS (AMD Ryzen 7 5700G, 32 GB DDR4-3200, 2x2 TB SDD, LG 34UC98-W)-USB|ADI-2 DAC FS|Canton AM5 - File Server (i3-3.9 GHz, 16GB ECC DDR4-2400, 46 TB disk space) - Media Renderer (i3-3.8 GHz, 8GB DDR4-2133, GTX 960)-USB|Devialet D220 Pro|Audeze LCD 2|B&W 804S|LG 4K OLED )
Pages: [1]   Go Up