INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Automatic Stop Playback  (Read 2878 times)

severalboxes248

• Recent member
Automatic Stop Playback
« on: February 21, 2017, 07:33:11 pm »

There's a few issues if video playback continues when the HDMI display is turned off. Is there a way for video/television playback to stop automatically when the display is turned off? I realize it's as simple as hitting the stop button, but this is for ease of use for the wife.

Thanks

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Automatic Stop Playback
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2017, 08:09:36 pm »

I would think that may be a bit difficult, given all the various problems with HDMI visibility, versions, capabilities etc.

But if you have a programmable remote that is being used to turn off the HDMI display (TV?), then it should be easy to add a "STOP" command in front of the "Power Off" command. I know I could do that easily with my Harmony remote.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

muzicman0

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2017, 08:57:11 am »

I have done that with my harmony, just know that if you have already pressed stop (prior to turning off the TV), then the 2nd 'stop' will remove the bookmark, which is a pain if you are used to using the resume function. 

CountryBumkin

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2017, 11:25:05 am »

Thanks for reporting that. "adding the Stop command" to my Harmony was also the suggestion I received from JRiver when I asked for a new Feature (for similar reasons to OP). I did it and thought it was working - but didn't know about your discovery. For now, having it clear the bookmarks is still better than the alternative.

Maybe JRiver can give us a new feature: Ignore "double stop command to clear bookmarks". Either an On or Off feature.

severalboxes248

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2017, 11:55:50 am »

OK thanks for the reply. That never crossed my mind, I'll give it a shot.

muzicman0

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2017, 12:21:23 pm »

OK thanks for the reply. That never crossed my mind, I'll give it a shot.
Yeah, in my case, it was a pain.  It's very common for us to be watching something downstairs, and then finish it in bed.  We were constantly having to fast forward to the place we stopped.  I've thought about adding a command before the second stop, but it would have to be something that wouldn't cause problems.  Maybe back then stop.  Haven't thought it through yet.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2017, 07:11:46 pm »

As long as you don't press "Power Off" too soon after the first "Stop", that wouldn't be a problem.

But if "Stop" then "Stop"+"Power Off" is often pressed in quick succession, then adding another command between is a good idea, and "Back" would be a good one as it is non-destructive; i.e. Goes back up one menu level, or doesn't nothing if already on the top menu.

You could also add a pause\wait time at the beginning of the "Stop"+"Power Off" sequence, I think, on many remotes. I haven't actually checked if that is possible on a Harmony remote.

I suspect a one second pause\wait would prevent the double Stop from clearing any Bookmark. Some testing should sort that out. The remote would have to be pointing at your HTPC for the full pause\wait time though I suspect, so that commands are received, as I think any pause\wait on a Harmony is executed in the remote, and then the following commands would be sent.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

muzicman0

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2017, 09:13:24 pm »

As long as you don't press "Power Off" too soon after the first "Stop", that wouldn't be a problem.

But if "Stop" then "Stop"+"Power Off" is often pressed in quick succession, then adding another command between is a good idea, and "Back" would be a good one as it is non-destructive; i.e. Goes back up one menu level, or doesn't nothing if already on the top menu.

You could also add a pause\wait time at the beginning of the "Stop"+"Power Off" sequence, I think, on many remotes. I haven't actually checked if that is possible on a Harmony remote.

I suspect a one second pause\wait would prevent the double Stop from clearing any Bookmark. Some testing should sort that out. The remote would have to be pointing at your HTPC for the full pause\wait time though I suspect, so that commands are received, as I think any pause\wait on a Harmony is executed in the remote, and then the following commands would be sent.
I could be wrong, but I don't think that is true.  I seem to remember that there is no time limit between the 2 'stops'. 

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2017, 11:56:20 pm »

Hmmm, I would have to research or test that.

I recall a discussion about it, which I thought concluded that there was a time limit.

EDIT.
From here: http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Bookmarking#Clearing_the_Bookmark_from_a_media_file

"A bookmark can be cleared simply while playing a media file by pressing Stop twice. Not as fast as a double click, but also not too slow."

Implies if the two Stops are done too slow, the Bookmark won't be cleared. But that could still be wrong. Testing would confirm.

muzicman0

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2017, 12:26:50 pm »

I just tested with 20 seconds between stops, and ~90 seconds between stops, and both times reset the bookmark.

It appears that a Stop, and then a left cursor also resets the bookmark, so that is not an option.

A 'back' and a 'stop' did appear to save the bookmark, but I have to think through any scenarios that a back could be dangerous.  I can't think of any off the top of my head though.

Well...maybe it didn't work.  I watched a movie on my server, pressed stop, back, and the stop again.  Then went to a client, and pulled up the movie.  It started from the beginning.  Hmmm.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2017, 03:46:13 pm »

Maybe after the last discussion on the speed required for double pressing Stop it was changed so that any consecutive Stops cleared the Bookmark. Dunno.

I did a quick test last night at 10 seconds and got the same result you did. Bookmark cleared.

Moving between the Server and a Client adds another variable. Did you test that is still working on the Client without the Stop, Back, Stop?

Another method would be to check the Bookmark tag, rather than play the video. That would eliminate the playback functionality as a variable. I think the Bookmark is in Milliseconds, so you can easily see if it is cleared, at an early position (at the start of padding), or at a later position consistent with partial playback.
Pages: [1]   Go Up