INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Is it possible ...  (Read 2150 times)

Fred1

• Galactic Citizen
  • Change this by choosing profile
Is it possible ...
« on: February 22, 2017, 04:02:46 am »

... to call an external app with a keystoke (MCCommand)?

I would like to call the Yate app (a very powerful tagging- and beautifying app with RegEx capability) from within MC.

Currently i do this with MC's Send to (external) tool and a right mouse click to the respective menu item. But i'd rather do this by a single keystroke because it happens very often.

Do you know a MCCommand to start an external app?

Thanks, Fred

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Is it possible ...
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2017, 06:33:08 am »

Have you been to the DevZone?  It's at the Developer link at the very bottom of this page.

blgentry

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2017, 06:34:35 am »

Test Post.  Just posted here and my post didn't show up...

blgentry

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2017, 06:39:26 am »

MC for windows supports this, but I don't think it sends files to external programs.  I think it just launches them.  There's an example in the keyboard definition file here:

https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/User_Defined_Global_Keyboard_Shortcuts

You should also know that MC's tagging functionality is really good.  It's very fast and easy to use.  It's also very powerful and supports JRiver's Expression Language.

https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Expression_Language

The Expression Language includes a REGEX function that works quite well.  I've used it many times.

You should try MC's Tagging tool.  Just highlight some files and do Edit > Tag .  If you want to do expression based stuff, like with regex, I'd be willing to help you do a few examples to get you started.

Good luck!

Brian.

Fred1

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2017, 09:26:45 am »

Have you been to the DevZone?  It's at the Developer link at the very bottom of this page.
Jim,

Thanks for the hint.
But if i get it right, the developer tools are for Windows only.
I'm on MacOS, so i wouldn't benefit, i think.

Fred

Fred1

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2017, 09:49:17 am »

Brian,

thanks for your help.

I know MC's tagging tools very well and also use them with RegExes frequently.
But MC's expressions only work for one field (or column) at a time, if i'm right.

For more general tagging i prefer Yate because there i can process as many columns at once with as many expressions as i like in any sequence i like. It works like batch processing. One click (or keystroke) and all is done. I use this for making my tags consistent over my whole library (i call it beautifying my tags).

In MC i select the rows i want to process (could be hundreds at once) and send them to Yate, where they are processed. Yate has a very good cover searching tool, too.
Then i run MC's auto import and the changes are back in MC.

For me MC and Yate work hand in hand very smoothly.
This is why i'd like to call Yate with a keystroke, but it also works very well with the Send to tool on my Mac.

Fred

blgentry

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2017, 06:10:01 pm »

Yate must have presets that remember what you want to change in many columns at once?

Generally speaking I don't do a lot of multi-column changes.  Though my metadata tends to be pretty clean to start with so...

So yes, if you are frequently doing the same regex based manipulations, on several columns simultaneously, I guess MC isn't all that good at that.  But it's weird to me that you'd need to do this frequently.  Maybe you're in the middle of a big metadata cleanup.  I guess that would make sense.

I *did* look at the Core Commands of MC for you.  I was hoping that there was a Core Command to launch "send to > external > <some program name here>".  But I didn't find one. 

Good luck with your tagging.

Brian.

Fred1

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2017, 02:14:29 am »

Yes, i'm fine tuning my relatively big library.

I always got my tags automatically when ripping my CDs but they mostly didn't fit my needs. Even when i buy online, there are many tagging standards. But seldom i'm really happy with them. So i decided to do the work from ground up and use my own standards for all of my files. That's why i have to so much cleanup.

In Yate you can define your own 'presets' using so called actions and apply them even when you are loading the files - if you like. These actions can be very small or very huge and can span over as many fields as you like. Each field can be treated individually. But you can apply all changes at once for all fields, if you wish.

There are preset-buttons for your most frequently used actions. You can click them or select from a list of all actions you ever created.

Yate is even capable of handling MC's somewhat special representation of star-ratings. There is an option that i requested for.

Thank you, Brian, for your efforts.
I, too, was looking for such a core command, but couldn't find one.

Fred.
Pages: [1]   Go Up