INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How do I sync my Explorer music files with MC9  (Read 1782 times)

Chasoscar

• World Citizen
  • Being is Important......... being important is not
How do I sync my Explorer music files with MC9
« on: July 17, 2003, 12:06:23 pm »

I was halfway scared to post this question because the answer is either real simple or I have screwed up. I know I will probably catch flack for not finding the answer to this elsewhere in the forums (seems like I have seen a similar problem)but I have looked and have been unable to come up with a solution........ so here is my quandary. I was not happy with the multiple way that my music files were named in Explorer (apparently caused by experimenting with different rules). I have ended up with duplicate files and some duplicate folders. Everything in MC9 is reporting fine but I am seeing almost double the number of actual files in Explorer. I have tried everything I know short of just going into Explorer and starting to delete files but I am scared to do that for fear of messing up my Media Library. I would like to start with a clean slate with a new rule(now that I am thru experimenting). Is there an easy solution to fix this? I am a newbie.......... so please be specific, if possible. Your input is greatly appreciated.
Thanx
Chasoscar

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: How do I sync my Explorer music files with MC9
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2003, 01:01:51 pm »

now that I am thru experimenting

sounds like someone who did not want to take there car down to ford because it would cost too much to fix so they did it them self, once they got over there head they put all the parts in a plastic bag and drag it down to ford.

====================================

Are the dups in the same folder?

if so what is the extender on them?

if one is wav and one is mp3 or something else you may not have send orginal to recycle bin when you did a convert.

hard to say.
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
https://centercitybbs.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

Chasoscar

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2003, 01:55:15 pm »

Touche' on the Ford remark King............ Im not the kind to take in a bag of nuts and bolts. I am the kind to try my best to learn what I can before hollering for help. I'll concede that I did something wrong, but not before reading and trying to learn the correct way. I did all I could to figure out for myself what rules I should use and followed the instructions provided by the Help menu the best I could.  I can tell you this... all the dups are MP3 files. I dont know if this helps but when I open "my computer" in the MC9 folder tree..........the duplicate files show up with a yellow icon and the originals show up in blue. Maybe I need to create a smartlist with yellow icons and just delete all of them, huh? I dont really know what I did wrong, but I would appreciate it if someone could tell me if it is Possible to sync explorer........ thats all.......... if there isnt then I will have to manually delete about 1500 files. I just dont want to mess up more and screw up my whole Library. Again........ everything is reporting fine in my Media Library in MC9 and there are no duplicates there.
Thanx for your compassion and understanding~~~

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2003, 03:22:59 pm »

Touche' on the Ford remark King

I  just don't like fords had 4 they all broke down

Maybe you can take a snap shot and display that picture maybe someone can see and sugest something.

I are the bit rates the same?

if so just move the dups with the format you don't want to another folder, and if everything works out. you can the delete them later.
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
https://centercitybbs.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

221bBS

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2003, 03:44:25 pm »

1) Select all your music files
2) Use the LIBRARY TOOLS > RENAME FILES FROM PROPERTIES.. command
3) Check DIRECTORIES
4) Enter a BASE PATH ( should be in a different folder from your music files)
EXAMPLE: If you save your music in "D:\My Documents\My Music" ENTER "D:\Music Temp"
(Remember to save your files in the same drive so it will be faster)
5) Enter your RULE for your folders
6) Press enter

Check the newly created folder to verify that all your files are there...goto your music folder and verify that these are files that can be deleted...delete the files then move every thing back

Kurt Young

• Tastes like crab, talks like people.
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2003, 04:07:49 pm »

My input, for what it's worth...

Requirements for this to even be an option:
  • You have lots of extra room on a hard drive.  Just in case.
  • Media Center is reporting everything accurately.  That is, no duplicate songs are being reported by MC9.  Your media library is up-to-snuff, but your files themselves are in disarray.
  • Your media library's data accurately reflects your music's data.  That is, your artists, albums, names, and so on are accurate.
  • Your computer is reasonably fast and you have the time, temperament, and/or courage to undertake what I'm going to suggest.

Okay, now that that's out of the way, I suggest using MC to put all of your good media in a temporary location.  Once everything that's important is safely out of the danger zone, start deleting things.  Then, you can use MC to put everything where you want it.  So, step by step, here's what I suggest:
  • Step 1:  Select your temp space -- For the purposes of this tirade, let's say that you have a LOT of empty space on your P: drive.  So, you decide to make a folder in it called "musictemp".  Great choice.  Remember that folder for the later steps.
  • Step 2:  Select 'em all! -- Close everything.  Open up MC9, expand your media library and click on the "Audio" node.  Now, select everyting in the lower-right pane.  The goal is to select every single song in your library at the same time.  (I think the easiest way to do this is to select one song and then press CTRL-A)
  • Step 3:  Move 'em! -- Now, right-click in your selection, choose Library Tools > Rename Files From Properties....  When the box pops up, make it look like this.  When you click OK, you will have ample time to go take a walk while MC processes all of these files.
  • Step 4:  Seek and destroy! -- After MC is done "renaming" your files, all of your good songs that you have entered into MC9 will be in P:\musictemp, safely out of the "line of fire" for what's to come next.  Crack a grin, fire up Windows Explorer, and start deleting the files that have been left over, secure in the knowledge that MC9 doesn't even know they're there, and since MC9 doesn't know about them, and you only use MC9 for your music, they're safe to delete.  Use your best judgement, of course.  ;)

Now that all that ugliness is over, you can repeat steps 2 and 3 to re-move all of your good songs to wherever you want.  On my P4 1.8 machine at home, it took MC9 less than 2 minutes to move about 3000 songs in this fashion, it's great!

(I'm a pretty smart guy, but I'd wait until someone else backs this statement up to go do it.  Hehe!)
 mjextman.exe /ipodsync

Chasoscar

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2003, 05:51:09 pm »

Thanx to everyone for your help............ the advise that I have gotten here and in the ipodlounge/MC9 forum has been sound and I am fixing to start(I really like the idea of creating another folder and to be honest am a little ashamed that I didnt think of it myself)........... I promise I wont push any more buttons without asking first. hehe
Thanx again
Chasoscar

Chasoscar

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2003, 09:16:35 pm »

Eureka............... worked like a charm! I cant believe I didnt think to try that---- sometimes you just need someone elses ideas I guess.  I even left the "extra copy" of my Media Library on the "other drive" since I have plenty of room(almost 200gigs)....... for the time being at least~~~~
Btw, I even enjoyed the walk......... now for some rock and roll.
Thanx alot
Chasoscar
Pages: [1]   Go Up