INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Id Pi Upgrade to MC22  (Read 7921 times)

bob

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
Id Pi Upgrade to MC22
« on: February 23, 2017, 01:04:34 pm »

The IdPi update to MC22 is in testing now, we are still polishing to make it go smoothly.

When it's ready I'll announce it here and everyone who has purchased an IdPi will get a Media Center 22 Id license in their email.

This new license will only work on the Id and the Id cannot use any other license (i.e. linux MC22 or MC22 Master license).

To update your IdPi, you will just need to use the Check for Updates choice on the IdPi menu.

The upgrade will install several components and may require running the update function twice.

Installation of the update will make a copy of your existing MC20 library, cover art, etc and use it in MC22.

Your MC20 library backups will be left in place, but please make another on the /export/media share and save it somewhere off the device.

Please post any upgrade problems here.

rossp

• MC Beta Team
Re: Id Pi Upgrade to MC22
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2017, 03:32:22 pm »

Great looking forward to it.

Ross

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2017, 08:54:15 pm »

It's live now and you all should have gotten a MC22 Id license in your email.

duncan4791

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2017, 10:47:46 am »

I have been waiting for this upgrade assuming that it would use the latest Pi Linux kernel so that the Hifiberry Digi+ Pro and Dac+ Pro boards would work. While the overlay directory contains the dtbo files for the Digi+ Pro, the kernel is 4.4.13 v7+ not the required 4.4.19 or greater. Is  there a technical reason for remaining on an older kernel? For me the whole point was to build a coax/optical server. I don't want to buy yet another S/PDIF card just to get this function working.

On another notes:
The Main Menu window in GUI mode, does not reload if it gets shutdown. This ends the ability to shutdown or reboot the system safely.
Using Safari on an iPod the Panel Power function does not Reboot or Shutdown the IdPi and address :52199/Settings/settings.html.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2017, 04:08:42 pm »

I have been waiting for this upgrade assuming that it would use the latest Pi Linux kernel so that the Hifiberry Digi+ Pro and Dac+ Pro boards would work. While the overlay directory contains the dtbo files for the Digi+ Pro, the kernel is 4.4.13 v7+ not the required 4.4.19 or greater. Is  there a technical reason for remaining on an older kernel? For me the whole point was to build a coax/optical server. I don't want to buy yet another S/PDIF card just to get this function working.

On another notes:
The Main Menu window in GUI mode, does not reload if it gets shutdown. This ends the ability to shutdown or reboot the system safely.
Using Safari on an iPod the Panel Power function does not Reboot or Shutdown the IdPi and address :52199/Settings/settings.html.
Thanks for the feedback.

The Kernel hasn't changed on the IdPi. The changes were what was required to run MC22 seamlessly and fix bugs.
Is the the jessie RPi kernel up to 4.4.19 on the raspbian repo yet?

For what you are seeing on the shutdown, are you saying the next time the IdPi starts up the main menu is missing in GUI mode?
I've not seen that behavior on the test boxes. Will test with safari on the idevice as well. I didn't notice issues doing that from a PC.

duncan4791

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2017, 05:51:03 pm »

Yes the Raspian Jessie kernel is beyond 4.4.19 now. All the devices in the overlay directory have the correct drivers in the 4.4.19 kernel.

No, I mean if you close the main menu window while using the Id in GUI mode it doesn't start up again like the Media Center. Once it is gone it stays gone. The main menu window may return but I haven't waited that long. This has always been a feature of the IdPi. That is why you can't shutdown or reboot the IdPi because the menu window is gone and won't automatically restart.

The desktop is still running so why can't you add an entry to the window gadget in the lower left corner to restart the manin menu window. It is not recommended to pull the power on a pi because it could trash the SDcard.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2017, 06:08:02 pm »

Yes the Raspian Jessie kernel is beyond 4.4.19 now. All the devices in the overlay directory have the correct drivers in the 4.4.19 kernel.

No, I mean if you close the main menu window while using the Id in GUI mode it doesn't start up again like the Media Center. Once it is gone it stays gone. The main menu window may return but I haven't waited that long. This has always been a feature of the IdPi. That is why you can't shutdown or reboot the IdPi because the menu window is gone and won't automatically restart.

The desktop is still running so why can't you add an entry to the window gadget in the lower left corner to restart the manin menu window. It is not recommended to pull the power on a pi because it could trash the SDcard.
I see what you mean. That would be a good change.

Will also look into letting the kernel update.

syndromeofadown

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2017, 10:38:07 pm »

A possible bug:
Using my IdPi (MC22) as a server I cannot play audio on my windows or android phones using Gizmo/JRemote/nMedium. They all work fine to play audio on other DLNA devices but there's glitches and crashes on the phone when I select This/My Device. It worked last I tried on version 20, and it works using my windows PC as server.

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2017, 01:54:49 am »

I haven't received an email with the licence. My email address since buying the Id has changed - and I don't have access to my MC 20 licence either. Should I email you my current email address. For some reason, I didn't use my normal MC address when buying the Id.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2017, 06:51:41 am »

A possible bug:
Using my IdPi (MC22) as a server I cannot play audio on my windows or android phones using Gizmo/JRemote/nMedium. They all work fine to play audio on other DLNA devices but there's glitches and crashes on the phone when I select This/My Device. It worked last I tried on version 20, and it works using my windows PC as server.
Just tried this on Gizmo and it's working for me.  Please start a thread.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2017, 06:53:52 am »

I haven't received an email with the licence. My email address since buying the Id has changed - and I don't have access to my MC 20 licence either. Should I email you my current email address. For some reason, I didn't use my normal MC address when buying the Id.
Please e-mail deanna at jriver.  I can change your address if you mail me, but she will probably need to send the license again.  You could update now.  It will work for 30 days before you need the license.

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2017, 08:30:16 am »

Please e-mail deanna at jriver.  I can change your address if you mail me, but she will probably need to send the license again.  You could update now.  It will work for 30 days before you need the license.

Thanks, Jim.
I misread IdPi and thought this was for the original Id. I'll still contact Deanna though to get my MC20 licence again.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2017, 12:34:15 pm »

A possible bug:
After re-installing the license for MC22 you might have to go into Media Network and check the access code. If it's ok, go into the application settings on your Android phone and clear the data and cache for Gizmo.

syndromeofadown

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2017, 12:38:20 pm »

A possible bug:

Thanks for checking Jim, I found the problem. mp3 encoder needs downloaded to Id.
Solution: encode an mp3 while connected to the internet before using offline network.

syndromeofadown

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2017, 12:42:54 pm »

No, I mean if you close the main menu window while using the Id in GUI mode it doesn't start up again like the Media Center. Once it is gone it stays gone.
A workaround until this is fixed:
If you accidentally close the menu it doesn't come back. You can use ctrl+alt+F1 to go to text interface and do a restart.

duncan4791

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2017, 06:55:34 am »

Thanks for the info. I will try that once I go back to the Id software. There is a right mouse click pop-up menu with one entry to bring up the network config program, this menu could be expanded with additional programs.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2017, 09:13:56 am »

Thanks for the info. I will try that once I go back to the Id software. There is a right mouse click pop-up menu with one entry to bring up the network config program, this menu could be expanded with additional programs.
We are trying to keep it as simple as possible and I think adding it to the right click menu is a good suggestion.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2017, 09:23:35 am »

That doesn't appear that this is the case as far as I can see for a stock Jessie install.

My test RPi with Jessie is up to date and still on 4.4.13-v7+
Code: [Select]
ii  raspberrypi-bootloader                1.20160620-1                     armhf        Raspberry Pi bootloader
ii  raspberrypi-kernel                    1.20160620-1                     armhf        Raspberry Pi bootloader

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2017, 10:42:03 am »

My test RPi with Jessie is up to date and still on 4.4.13-v7+
ii  raspberrypi-bootloader                1.20160620-1                     armhf        Raspberry Pi bootloader
ii  raspberrypi-kernel                    1.20160620-1                     armhf        Raspberry Pi bootloader

I ran rpi-update on mine and got a 4.9 kernel (4.9.11-v7+)

Also newer packages of those you listed:
ii  raspberrypi-bootloader                1.20161215-1                              armhf        Raspberry Pi bootloader
ii  raspberrypi-kernel                    1.20161215-1                              armhf        Raspberry Pi bootloader

As I understood it, Raspbian provides some basic firmware that works, but its often advised to update to a later version using rpi-update.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2017, 10:53:37 am »

I ran rpi-update on mine and got a 4.9 kernel (4.9.11-v7+)

Also newer packages of those you listed:
ii  raspberrypi-bootloader                1.20161215-1                              armhf        Raspberry Pi bootloader
ii  raspberrypi-kernel                    1.20161215-1                              armhf        Raspberry Pi bootloader

As I understood it, Raspbian provides some basic firmware that works, but its often advised to update to a later version using rpi-update.
I had read that in general you didn't want to do that because the apt database could end up with conflicts with installed software and the stuff installed by rpi-update.
I'll take a look for those packages separately and see if it's possible to put them in our local repo.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2017, 11:11:10 am »

I had read that in general you didn't want to do that because the apt database could end up with conflicts with installed software and the stuff installed by rpi-update.
I'll take a look for those packages separately and see if it's possible to put them in our local repo.
It looks like the update to 4.9 is nearly imminent.

EDIT: The master branch of rpi-update has now updated to 4.9 kernel tree.

We are planning to move to the 4.9 kernel in the near future.
One advantage is there is a lot more raspberry pi specific support in the newer upstream kernels which reduces the number of downstream raspberry pi patches and so reduces maintenance effort.
The 4.9 kernel is planned to be an LTS kernel (long term support).

Obviously a newer kernel will bring additional kernel features and support for more devices (e.g. USB devices like wifi and dvb).
You can read up on what appeared in 4.5, 4.6 ,4.7, 4.8 and 4.9.

We will do this in a few stages. Starting now, we are updating the "next" firmware branch to the 4.8 kernel.
We are using this as an interim step to help with regression testing.
Also 4.8 kernel has been significantly tested in LibreELEC builds.

Currently 4.9 is at 4.9-rc8. The "stable" 4.9.0 is likely to here in a few weeks and we'll switch to 4.9 then.

Assuming testing is positive, we'll update the master rpi-update firmware branch.

Eventually the 4.9 kernel will appear in "apt-get upgrade" and on new raspbian images in the future.

I think it's better to wait until that hits prime time. Then we can add just that to the repo.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2017, 04:41:31 pm »

The repo is updated to fix the shutdown issues and add a main menu option to the right click gui menu.

duncan4791

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2017, 10:35:02 am »

Thank you for adding the extra menu item so quickly. I like to close out windows when I'm done using them, in order to keep my desktop clean. This leads to a bad habit of closing out windows and browser tabs I should leave open.

Please consider the following as a further description of my understanding. From the previous post it looks like you will be updating the kernel at some point and I can wait.

I should also apologize about the kernel issues. I am just repeating the setup instructions on the HiFiBerry web site concerning the newer Pro cards. I'm also referencing the results returned by uname -a on the latest dist-upgrade Raspian Pixel OS which is reporting as 4.4.48 v7+. I didn't know you were compiling from the Debian Jessie repro.

However, as mentioned earlier, the /boot/overlay directory contains all the latest .dtbo files which implies that the kernel has the correct drivers baked in. Under Raspian the HiFiBerry Digi+ Pro works for JRiver and reports correctly that the card is "card 0: sndrpihifiberry [snd_rpi_hifiberry_digi], device 0: HifiBerry Digi+ Pro HiFi wm8804-spdif-0 []". On the IdPi it reports the card as HifiBerry Digi Hifi and locks up JRiver for lack of a driver.

Since my JRiver 22 on Raspian OS works fine I'm in no hurry to get this kind of problem sorted out.

Thanks again, Duncan

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2017, 11:22:54 am »

I should also apologize about the kernel issues. I am just repeating the setup instructions on the HiFiBerry web site concerning the newer Pro cards. I'm also referencing the results returned by uname -a on the latest dist-upgrade Raspian Pixel OS which is reporting as 4.4.48 v7+. I didn't know you were compiling from the Debian Jessie repro.

However, as mentioned earlier, the /boot/overlay directory contains all the latest .dtbo files which implies that the kernel has the correct drivers baked in. Under Raspian the HiFiBerry Digi+ Pro works for JRiver and reports correctly that the card is "card 0: sndrpihifiberry [snd_rpi_hifiberry_digi], device 0: HifiBerry Digi+ Pro HiFi wm8804-spdif-0 []". On the IdPi it reports the card as HifiBerry Digi Hifi and locks up JRiver for lack of a driver.

Since my JRiver 22 on Raspian OS works fine I'm in no hurry to get this kind of problem sorted out.

Thanks again, Duncan

I'm being a bit sloppy when referring to Jessie. We are using the Rapsbian repo which is their compile of Jessie, not generic debian Jessie.
The 4.9 kernel hasn't been released in the Rapsbian repo yet.
It is in the rpi-update but that is essentially installing a beta kernel.
It sounds as if it's reaching release into the Raspbian repo soon.

LawshrinkMD

• Recent member
« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2017, 10:03:54 pm »

I am contemplating purchasing the Id for my Pi, but I have some questions:

1) Can I use a library file created under Windows MC22, so I can just do updates on the fastest machine in the house, and then just restore the library to the Pi?
2) Is SACD ISO supported on the Pi like it is on the Windows MC22?
3) Is the Hifiberry DAC+ and DIGI+ currently supported with the newest kernel?
4) I was also looking into the I2S to HDMI out to feed my PS Audio Nuwave DSD DAC.  Has anyone else tried this, and it would it be compatible with the Id Pi?  http://www.audiophonics.fr/en/interfaces/audio-gd-diy-kit-i2s-to-hdmi-output-module-p-9347.html
5) If the I2S isn't possible, how about sound quality of using the DAC+ vs using the DIGI+ and connecting by coax to the PS Audio Nuwave DAC?  Does Id Pi convert DSD into 24/198 or something compatible with PCM?

Thanks for the info

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: March 06, 2017, 05:54:12 am »

You can't easily restore a Windows library to a Linux machine, but you may not need to.

Usually, the Id is used as a Renderer.  You play to it from Windows.  It acts like the Windows version does. 

You could read the Media Network topic on our wiki for more.

Instead of converting I2S to HDMI, you could just use the HDMI port on the Pi.

Please search for threads here about the devices you're asking about.  This, for example:
https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,108743.msg753121.html#msg753121

LawshrinkMD

• Recent member
« Reply #26 on: March 14, 2017, 12:11:16 pm »

I am successfully running the Id Pi now, and after doing some research I found answers to most of my newbie questions.  It plays DSD128 gapless, which is great.  SACD ISO is working fine, and I was able to import my files off the NAS once I checked the "extended file names" option, since it was crashing before.

From the conversation above, I understand that once the 4.9 kernal is officially released in Raspbian, you will incorporate it into an update for the Id Pi.  I guess I will wait on purchasing the Digi+ Pro board until then.  I also understand now that SPDIF will only pass up to 24/192, so I would have to convert DSD to 24/176.4 on the fly.

I have a few new questions:

1) the sound level of the Id PI is lower than the USB output of my laptop.  Is this a Pi hardware issue, or a software setting?  I have volume disabled on MC22.  The sound seems sort of tinny, or like the digital level is not at 100%.

2) Is there a way to always boot into command line, or do I have to reboot from panel into this mode?

Thanks!

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: March 14, 2017, 03:46:40 pm »

I am successfully running the Id Pi now, and after doing some research I found answers to most of my newbie questions.  It plays DSD128 gapless, which is great.  SACD ISO is working fine, and I was able to import my files off the NAS once I checked the "extended file names" option, since it was crashing before.

From the conversation above, I understand that once the 4.9 kernal is officially released in Raspbian, you will incorporate it into an update for the Id Pi.  I guess I will wait on purchasing the Digi+ Pro board until then.  I also understand now that SPDIF will only pass up to 24/192, so I would have to convert DSD to 24/176.4 on the fly.

I have a few new questions:

1) the sound level of the Id PI is lower than the USB output of my laptop.  Is this a Pi hardware issue, or a software setting?  I have volume disabled on MC22.  The sound seems sort of tinny, or like the digital level is not at 100%.

2) Is there a way to always boot into command line, or do I have to reboot from panel into this mode?

Thanks!

You could run the alsamixer from the text or GUI menu (via vpn or remote desktop if you don't have a connected monitor).
It's possible the default setting isn't maximum. Usually you can get at that as well by changing the volume control in MC to system and seeing if it's maxxed out.

The Id will retain the last mode booted unless you change it. The text mode is what it's in when it's shipped but you can go back and forth between text and GUI.

LawshrinkMD

• Recent member
« Reply #28 on: March 14, 2017, 04:22:49 pm »

Thanks, I am still learning my Linux.  With the Id Pi distribution, how can I access the command line?  Is PuTTY or xrdp already installed in the Id Pi?  I was reading, and it said you based it off the standard Rasbpian distribution?  I was reading this page http://www.circuitbasics.com/access-raspberry-pi-desktop-remote-connection/  Or are we able to SSH into the Pi?

I already made a backup of my Id Pi just in case I wreck something!

Thanks for all your help

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: March 14, 2017, 04:58:48 pm »

The Id isn't meant to be used with the command line.  You shouldn't need to.

LawshrinkMD

• Recent member
« Reply #30 on: March 14, 2017, 05:03:21 pm »

bob made some suggestions about things to check in alsamixer, and he mentioned using remote desktop.   I've seen other posts with questions about the Rasberry Pi not sounding loud enough, and they suggested doing that.  Since I am on the Id Pi distribution, I wanted to figure out how to do that. 

The xrdp function would be nice, regardless, since it would save me the trouble of lugging an extra monitor and cables around if I ever need to check any of the settings.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #31 on: March 16, 2017, 11:49:43 am »

bob made some suggestions about things to check in alsamixer, and he mentioned using remote desktop.   I've seen other posts with questions about the Rasberry Pi not sounding loud enough, and they suggested doing that.  Since I am on the Id Pi distribution, I wanted to figure out how to do that. 

The xrdp function would be nice, regardless, since it would save me the trouble of lugging an extra monitor and cables around if I ever need to check any of the settings.
It is running a server for both vnc and rdp so you can get at it that way.
The alsamixer is available from the text menu on the Id in either gui or text mode.

ptrenner

• Recent member
« Reply #32 on: May 21, 2017, 08:45:40 am »

Hello, I got my MC20 Pi License in January 2017. Now I wanted to upgrade to MC22 but could not install the license. How can i do this?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #33 on: May 21, 2017, 11:23:12 am »

The IdPi uses a different license, not the normal Linux license.  Is that the problem?

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #34 on: May 22, 2017, 09:27:57 am »

Hello, I got my MC20 Pi License in January 2017. Now I wanted to upgrade to MC22 but could not install the license. How can i do this?
When you do the upgrade from the main menu, the IdPi will upgrade to MC22.
All of the IdPi owners were emailed a MC22 Id license.
Pages: [1]   Go Up