INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Share Library for dual boot windows/linux PC  (Read 2139 times)

brightonbob

Share Library for dual boot windows/linux PC
« on: February 24, 2017, 11:17:46 am »

Hi
I run MC on Manjaro and Windows. Both OS installations work well. However, I have two separate libraries and I would like to share a single library so that imports, deletes, edits etc are updated on this shared library,

I happen to run two versions of Windows and share a single library between these installations as the data drive with the music files is mapped to the same drive letter on both installs. I am trying to find out if it possible to do this for my  Linux install?

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks etc
BB   

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
Re: Share Library for dual boot windows/linux PC
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2017, 11:34:58 am »

The lack of cross-platform file path support makes it impossible to literally share the same library.  You can have two libraries pointed at the same files, but do to the file path issue there's no way to have the exact same library on both (unless both are clients of another machine running as a JRiver server)

mikeza

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2017, 10:50:33 pm »

If you know how to program you could use MCWS to sync changes to the other library when you exit from the current one.

BryanC

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2017, 01:02:05 am »

Locally running Samba/SMB?

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2017, 10:09:24 am »

Locally running Samba/SMB?

That'll share the files and the library, but it won't help the file paths issue inside the library itself.  On linux the samba share has to be mounted somewhere, so the front of the path will be "/mnt/media/path/to/Audio"  rather than the UNC path or the drive letter; even if you were trying to browse using smbclient you still need to prefix the UNC path with smb:, and there's no way to handle auth in MC, which would foul the library's attempt to lookup the files.

The way other cross-platform media library programs have addressed the issue is to allow the user to specify alternative root paths for different OS's, and that more or less solves the problem.  The only robust cross-platform solution to library sharing for MC right now is having a server/client model, which requires having at least two machines, one of which is running MC all the time.  You can get 90% of the way there just writing all the tags to files and keeping separate libraries, but you lose out on playcounts and some other odds and ends.
Pages: [1]   Go Up