INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: BBC radio live streams - Here's how :-)  (Read 1867 times)

Marko

BBC radio live streams - Here's how :-)
« on: June 25, 2003, 12:30:03 pm »

Has anyone managed to get any of the BBC radio live streams (real media) to play in MC?
If you have, d'ya fancy sharing the secret with me?
I really didn't want real player on my system, but I really wanted to listen to BBC Radio 3 live too. I've installed realplayer 8, declined any upgrade notices, succesfully managed to get the channel ident message to play in MC and after that, presumably the live feed should kick in. It doesn't for me, sometimes the ident will repeat untill stopped, other times, the ident will play, then I get this error....

Any suggestions how/if I can get this to work? The stream url is....
http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio3/ram/r3g2.ram

cheers,
-marko

canaro99

• World Citizen
Re: BBC radio live streams - How to?
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2003, 12:39:33 pm »

Marko,

I copied your URL into the File>Open Streaming File>Enter URL... Dialog Box and it worked; I current have 9.1.205 installed.

While this worked, I have had a great deal of trouble trying to make other stations work with this approach. I have also entered radio stations into the submit seb media and have never seen them available. I currently use Real Audio to listen to the stations I want -- not a satisfactory approach.

Thank you,

John

Marko

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2003, 12:44:52 pm »

seriously canaro99, it worked for you? you got the ident, followed by the live stream? Tell me more.......

I'm on MC v9.1.205 too.

What version of real do you have installed?
Are the transport configurations inside realplayer relevant to MC or does MC handle this side of things itself?

Marko

Listening to: Re: BBC radio live streams - How to?
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2003, 11:50:14 pm »

k. I have this working now.
How?
I installed realone player  :-[ :-[ :'(

I'm now gonna see how much of it I can get shot of before it breaks.
1st on the list is all the startup crap ;)

Now, from previous postings, I was under the impression that realone player wouldn't work due to changes made by real to prevent 3rd party apps playing their stuff, and that for real streams to work, we had to install an old copy of v8. Well, it's a-working now, so if anyone else is thinking of having a go, it might be worth a shot. I'll let you know how it goes with the "pruning" :D

-marko

Listening to: 'Radio 3' from 'Radio' by 'BBC' on Media Center 9.1

Marko

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2003, 01:31:39 am »

Well, I pruned away to my hearts content......

First, Run the darn app (not allowed past firewall) and disable everything possible in its options dialogues. Next, check the streams all work and get 'em imported into MC library (radio 5 live needed some dolby codec d'loaded, which I gratefully received before slaughtering the installation:D). Reboot. Start MC and play the stream. Zip up sections of the realone program saving full path info, then attempt to delete originals. Anything MC is using should be protected from deletion.....

1. Got rid of the tkbell nonsense from the registry startup run
2. Removed entire contents of "docs 'n' settings\user_name\app data\real" (a txt file with transport info gets recreated here. fair 'nuff)
3. Got rid of 90% of the stuff in "prog files\common\real\"
4. Got rid of everything in "prog files\real\realone\" except the plugins and rpplugins folders.

Not a whole lot left, and MC still plays the streams  8)
Anyone think of anywhere else I might have missed?

Warlock

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
Re: BBC radio live streams - Here's how :-)
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2003, 02:59:26 pm »

Marko, I have read your posts with great interest, but I listen to live baseball that is available only as a RealOne feed.  Because the url changes with each game, there is no apparent way to just paste the url into MC.  

I just did a clean install and I am loathing adding Real Player.  Is there any way to avoid loading that crap ridden bit of software?

Marko

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2003, 10:48:42 pm »

I've kept a pretty close eye on this and it all appears to be behaving well enough. I've not gone to the extremes of deploying a packet sniffer (yet) to see if there's anything sneaky going on with the realone .dll's, but my impression is that, so far as I can tell, there's only the codecs left, and MC is using them w/o a problem.

Can you get the game's URL from the web or does realone have to import it directly?

Warlock

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2003, 06:43:21 am »

Can you get the game's URL from the web or does realone have to import it directly?

I am going to try and find that out tonight.  I have to go through the Major League Baseball website and enter a password to access the feed, so it might turn out to be a real hassle.

I wonder if it is possible to download only the Real codec, and avoid the rest of the files you seem to have deleted anyway.  Hmm...

canaro99

• World Citizen
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2003, 09:25:02 am »

seriously canaro99, it worked for you? you got the ident, followed by the live stream? Tell me more.......

I'm on MC v9.1.205 too.

What version of real do you have installed?
Are the transport configurations inside realplayer relevant to MC or does MC handle this side of things itself?

Marko, sorry for the delay in getting back -- I've been out of pocket for a few days.

I have Version 2.0 Build 6.0.11.853 installed. I tried again this morning before writing and I do get the live feed.

Unfortunately, I'm not technically grounded enough to answer your second question.

John
Thank you,

John

Marko

« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2003, 01:55:12 pm »

I wonder if it is possible to download only the Real codec, and avoid the rest of the files you seem to have deleted anyway.  Hmm...

I have a strong feeling that the correct registry entries are just as important as the codecs themselves and I don't have the savvy to aquire those at this time.
Pages: [1]   Go Up