INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Video playback fails on linux client unless the video is started by the server  (Read 2066 times)

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe

linux client running 22.0.75
windows server running 22.0.76

any attempt to play a video (any video, whether converting format or not) from the client results in the "something went wrong" dialog box

if I go to the server and select "send to (my linux client)"; playback starts normally
if I use jremote, connect to the server, select the linux client as a zone and pick a video; playback starts normally

I can't see any errors in the client logs that give any clue as to what is going on. Any ideas?

imugli

• MC Beta Team

That's because of a lack of filename path translation.

If you're trying to play on a linux client, from a Windows server, the file path is different.

The linux machine is looking for C:\Users\User\Music\Filename.mp4 (or similar, the path in the Windows library) however it cannot read that file path.

When you PUSH from the client, you're telling your windows machine to send that file (which the windows machine CAN read) to your client, which then doesn't have to read the file path.

Unfortunately you're not able to do what you're trying to.

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team

no that shouldn't be the problem because the client is set to convert as necessary, if it were a problem then music playback wouldn't work (it does). It also used to work for video the last time I tried this, this was a month or so ago (and which yielded https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,108688.0.html , video playback on linux never seems to go smoothly for me!).

imugli

• MC Beta Team

Can you play the file locally? e.g if the drive with the files is shared and mounted locally on the linux machine, can you open the file?

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient

I can't reproduce your issue, video plays on linux clients here, but performance seems significantly worse than it used to be (last time I tried on this machine was MC 22.0.30 or so).  On a machine that used to be able to playback 1080p .mkvs just fine, I'm now getting stutters once a second (even playing the file locally).  The same files play smoothly on other linux players (mpv, vlc) so there may have been some kind of video performance regression in MC (or maybe in new versions of mesa?  I'm on Arch).

This is with fairly recent intel integrated graphics and hardware acceleration enabled.

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team

Can you play the file locally? e.g if the drive with the files is shared and mounted locally on the linux machine, can you open the file?
I did the following

- attempted to play some mkv from the library
- playback errors
- mounted the drives
- File/Open Media File
- playback started normally (for mkvs)
- unmounted the drives
- played the file again from the library
- playback started normally

no idea what is going on there  ?
Pages: [1]   Go Up