INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Converting a 'String' field into a 'List' field (Style, coming from discogs)  (Read 1566 times)

Ferdi

• World Citizen

Hi,

I am considering to re-tag my whole library based on discogs classifications, for 'genre' and 'style'. Discogs / foobar allow me to tag my music with various values in a field named 'Style'. In the attached example, 16 Horsepower come with the styles "Folk Rock; Country Rock; Bluegrass".

The values in the field Style are semicolon separated, but the field is a String type field, which means I can not navigate by the individual values. My thoughts were to use expression language within a new field ('test style'), that would be a 'List' style field and therefore would break down the individual values.
However, it seems that a 'calculated field' can only be of type 'string': as soon as I set the flag 'calculated in the field definition, the field type reverts back to 'string' and can't be changed. See screenshot.

Is there another way to do what I try to do?

thanks!

Ferdi

• World Citizen

Thanks Marko!
The field replies with 'Expression Error (unknown). I had a look at the wiki page, re-typed carefully what you suggested, used the 'insert field' wizard to enter the correct field name etc, still....
It's late now and since I am new to this, I'll try to better understand and work on it in the next few days.

Ferdi

• World Citizen

never mind - figured it out.
The brackets "()" around the "[style]" were giving the error.

Thanks again - willl be busy now for next few weeks re-tagging :D

marko

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe

Good catch. I ran from memory there. Square brackets removed from two posts up. Confirmed as working.

Best to take the square ones out as that's the way it's meant to be formatted for the field() function, and you don't want it breaking years from now when something else gets fixed, which has happened in the past.
Pages: [1]   Go Up