INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Advice for new HTPC  (Read 6748 times)

WeeHappyPixie

• Galactic Citizen
  • Gonnae no dae that..
Advice for new HTPC
« on: March 04, 2017, 03:51:45 am »

Hi,

I currently use MC22 on my dedicated HTPC using the built in Intel HD Graphics. The problem I currently have is that the native 3D playback in MC 22 using ROHQ doesn't work too well and from other posts I have read here they suggest using a dedicated card like an nVidia however I have a very nice low profile HTPC case and I have never been able to find a fan-less nVidia card that can do 3D and H.265.

I've read that the Intel Kaby lake processors can do native 3D support and H.265 and was wondering if Hendrick or anyone could confirm if the Intel® Iris™ Plus Graphics 640 on these CPU's can play 3D in ROHQ without any glitches before I build a new system.

Thanks,

John

Cryptographer

• Recent member
Re: Advice for new HTPC
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2017, 08:58:33 am »

Had a lot of problems with the built-in Intel chip. So I decided to enhance my HTPC with a separate graphics card.

Fanless is not really necessary, there are a lot of cards with a Zero-Fan-Mode. These cards are completely quiet under the load of madVR/ROHD (at least in my configuration).

My additional criteria were support of HD audio (DTS-MA, Atmos), HDMI2/HDCP2.2 (4k), and ok, not necessarily low profile, but nothing more than the height of a slot bracket. (Most cards have power connectors on top.) So I found two slim RX460 cards (Gigabyte Windforce OC 4G single-slot and XFX Core 4GB).

I am absolutely happy with the latter one after having done this setting:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/52uxn6/psa_use_dx11_in_madvr_to_prevent_hangscrashes_on/

WeeHappyPixie

• Galactic Citizen
  • Gonnae no dae that..
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2017, 12:01:40 pm »

Thanks, problem I have is I don't want to replace my case and therefore I need a low profile card.

John

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2017, 03:44:20 pm »

Could you turn off the Tapatalk ad?  It's in the settings for signature.  Thanks.

Wungun

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2017, 11:17:51 am »

I have a nVidia 960 that, while not fanless, it is absolutely silent while running RO Advanced 4k, x265 content. As far as I know, it's the only nVidia card that does hardware x265

WeeHappyPixie

• Galactic Citizen
  • Gonnae no dae that..
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2017, 12:15:21 pm »

I have a nVidia 960 that, while not fanless, it is absolutely silent while running RO Advanced 4k, x265 content. As far as I know, it's the only nVidia card that does hardware x265

Hi,

The 960 is a nice card but I have never been able to find a low profile version of it.

John

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2017, 03:44:27 pm »

I am running the 1060 now. I'm pretty sure I saw low profile versions of it when I was shopping around, some time back now.

As above, it runs silent for all HTPC use, as far as I can tell. I don't monitor the fan speed regularly to check, but I think it is stopped all the time. I can only hear the hard drives in my HTPC, and only if I try hard.

Or there is now the option of a 1050, although I haven't evaluated those as a HTPC card. They may not have everything needed. But as an example; http://www.anandtech.com/show/10856/msi-adds-lowprofile-geforce-gtx-1050-ti-to-lineup

"The board has DL-DVI, HDMI 2.0 and DisplayPort 1.4 outputs with HDCP 2.2 support, which is required for Ultra HD Blu-ray playback."
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2017, 04:17:17 pm »

The 1050Ti low profile would be what I would be going with if I had to get low-profile (its about the speed of a 960). Integrated GPUs are probably OK, but I haven't had good experiences in the past, and not really felt the need to re-test.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

BartMan01

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2017, 07:34:47 pm »

As others have noted, many (if not all) of the new nVidia cards don't use their fans unless they need them. This may be why you can't find much in the 'fan less' variety. I got a refurb 970 not that long ago for my hackintosh system and the only time it runs its fans are at start up and when the card temp exceeds a fairly high temp.

stewart_pk

« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2017, 07:36:38 pm »

Thanks, problem I have is I don't want to replace my case and therefore I need a low profile card.

John

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

I use an AMD R7 240 low profile card from ASUS with a virtually silent fan for 3D in MC and it works well.

WeeHappyPixie

• Galactic Citizen
  • Gonnae no dae that..
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2017, 03:37:00 am »

Thanks guys for all your help and suggestions. Think it will be a low profile 1050Ti if I can get one.

John
Pages: [1]   Go Up