INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Id & Engen  (Read 1779 times)

hoyt

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Id & Engen
« on: March 05, 2017, 02:33:18 pm »

Just a general question about the two.  I know they're different things, but I'm confused with Engen being 'packaged' with Id - at least that's what I understand. 

I have a server rack in my basement with a Windows 7 VM just for MC 22.  It's on 24/7, works fairly well.  I have an HTPC running Windows 10 in a media room that connects to the server.  I then have a few Mac laptops, JRemote, Gizmo, etc that all connect to the main server.  I have a master license for MC22.  I'm looking to install a small footprint audio only device in my living room, perhaps dining room and bedrooms.  The Id Pi seems like a great tool for that.

Am I correct in assuming that when I buy an Id Pi it comes with the Engen product and license as well?  Does that give me the ability to install Engen elsewhere?  While these Pi's may remain on at all times, I'd prefer that they sleep, so I'd rather install Engen on something in my server rack.  I typically run Ubuntu, so I have a server I could throw that on easily.  Would that work, is that how it's envisioned to work?  Thanks!

--Ryan

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Id & Engen
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2017, 04:47:16 pm »

The Id Pi comes with Engen and the license for it.  The license cannot be used in another location though.

The Pi takes very little power so it's not a problem to leave one on.  You could search for the values, but I think it's around 4 watts.

hoyt

• MC Beta Team
Re: Id & Engen
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2017, 05:22:51 pm »

Too bad.  I really like to centralize all of the products, devices, power, etc that I can.  It makes recovery, backup, and security easier to manage.  The Engen license can be purchased separately and then installed on whatever Ubuntu platform I choose, right?  I'm not fully in the Z-Wave boat yet, but thought this might be a good way to play with it prior to diving in.  Thanks!
Pages: [1]   Go Up