INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Album Artist Tag will not save  (Read 2929 times)

CaptEHLee

Album Artist Tag will not save
« on: March 08, 2017, 08:44:17 pm »

Hello Everyone,

New to this awesome forum tool but have been using JR MC for a couple of years and feel fairly fluent with it.
I'm running windows 10 and now MC22, having started with MC19.

I keep my library on four 4TB Solid state drives.

I travel a lot for work, pretty much constantly and get home maybe eight weeks a year. So I tote these drives with me and while I'm traveling I add to my library whenever possible. So I have JR MC22 on three windows computers, home, work and traveling laptop. I use the SSD drives with all three.

My problem is that whenever I arrive at the next computer (home from work etc.) I have about 250 ripped CD's that come up in the library with Bob Dylan as the Album Artist. It is always the same files, I understand they must have been changed as a group at some point. I don't know when or how it happened but I've been trying to undo it permanently for about five months now.

I've been into windows and individually corrected and saved the metadata there, it did in fact save and remain with the correct Album Artist if I bring them up now. But when in MC22 they all come back up as Bob Dylan, every single time. I can go into the tags and change it, and I have clicked the box that says save changes and yet MC22 does not save the changes. They always come back next time I use the drives in another computer.

I've looked everywhere and figure I've tried everything I can even guess at without success.

I'm ready to buy more SSD drives and just keep them isolated to each computer as this will work but I'm hoping someone can point me in the direction of where the tagged data is stored?

or just how to permanently change the album artist tag so it saves permanently with the music files.

Many, many thanks for your time and any suggestions at all,
Ethan

Windows 10 > MC22 > iFi iUSB3.0 > iFi Micro iDSD > Audio Research LS-25 > McIntosh MC601 (monoblks) > B&W 802D w/ Rel Gibraltar G2 (two in stereo)

Spike1000

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Album Artist Tag will not save
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2017, 01:57:23 am »

Sounds like you're writing the changes back to the MC database but not to the files on the SSD.

Make a change and then right click 'update tags from library' and see if that makes it stick to the file. You could examine the tags in the problem files with something like MP3Tag to see how they look outside MC (they must be wrong as the problem is moving with the files not MC).

There's a setting that ensures that changes made to the MC database are written back to the file tags by default. I can't remember where this is off of the top of my head, but I'm sure someone will chip in as it looks like this may not be set for you.

Spike

aviateur

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2017, 10:30:03 am »

Spike / Ethan:

I think this is the option to which you are referring: Tools > Options... > General > Importing & Tagging. It may be the wrong direction though: File-to-Library. I'll continue to look further.

Cheers,
Lawrence
Two Cows Walk Into a Bar ...

aviateur

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2017, 11:24:32 am »

Ethan:

I conducted the following test on a single track: Track number 1 of the Album 10CC. The Name field contained 'Johnny Don't Do It'. The Artist field contained '10CC' I located the single track (the file) within Windows Explorer. I then right-clicked the target file and chose the Edit ID-Tag option for the purpose of changing the Name and Artist fields to 'John Don't Do It' and 'TenCC' respectively. I then restarted MC22.0.77 and executed 'Run Auto-Import Now'. The results of the import operation indicated 'Updated 1 file that had external changes.' The pictures below show the progression of the change and how it eventually appeared in MC22. Again, this change was from the File-to-Library perspective. Is this your situation or is it different? Also, 'Edit ID-Tag' (2nd JPG below) is a component of the dBpoweramp software application, which I use for ripping purposes.

Cheers,
Lawrence

aviateur

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2017, 11:39:18 am »

...continuation of previous post.

The final step was to change the modified Name and Artist fields back to their proper values. I did this within the Tag window and the changes (proper values) appeared in the file display within Windows Explorer.

Cheers,
Lawrence

CaptEHLee

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2017, 11:01:52 am »

Hi Guys,

Spike was spot on with my issue.
Updating the library once I manually corrected all the tags solved it. i did try a couple and change machines to see it worked. Some of the "Album Artist" appear as Bob Dylan is random files, weird but I'm slowly finding them all. 

Thank yo both for the reply and assistance, it was driving me insane.

Cheers!
Ethan
Pages: [1]   Go Up