INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Is there an "audiophile" DAP that allows MC to create and manage playlists?  (Read 5341 times)

riparius

• Junior Woodchuck

Having recently purchased my first audiophile/hi-res DAP, the AK Jr, and found to my surprise that it did not allow Media Center to create and manage its playlists, I have begun looking for a DAP that does allow this.  However, in my research I've yet to find such a device.  Does anyone know of an audiophile/hi-res DAP that allows Media Center to create and manage its playlists?  Or is it the case that, in our increasingly phone-centric, lo-fi world, the idea of managing the playlists (a la iTunes/iPod) of a hi-res device via a PC is considered so quaint that no manufacturer will make one at any price?

shAf

• Citizen of the Universe

It's called JRemote (app) for the iPhone/iPad/iPod...
cheerios from the Avalon Peninsula, Newfoundland

riparius

• Junior Woodchuck

Always enjoy a facetious (?) reply.  I am in fact a user of JRemote on an iPod touch, but as I assume you know, that's not what this thread is about.

shAf

Always enjoy a facetious (?) reply.  I am in fact a user of JRemote on an iPod touch, but as I assume you know, that's not what this thread is about.
Sorry :)

Playlists are usually nothing more than text files. I've used MC to export playlists and then to use a batch text editor to find&replace pertinent formatting. This worked for the media player that came with my 2013 Audi and was able to put my entire library in my car. A similar workflow should work for any player...

HTH :)

Dorsai

• Recent member

I do the same for my AK120.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk
Please turn off the ad.  It's in the signature settings.  Thanks.

riparius

• Junior Woodchuck

I've used MC to export playlists and then to use a batch text editor to find&replace pertinent formatting.
Thanks for elaborating.  I've read about people doing that sort of thing. However, expending that amount of time just to create a playlist—something that I do with some frequency—is a dealbreaker for me.

Why makers of these audiophile devices are offering them with such @#$% UIs is beyond me.  Is it really that cost-prohibitive to develop a decent UI when you're selling your devices for hundreds of dollars?     

shAf

Thanks for elaborating.  I've read about people doing that sort of thing. However, expending that amount of time just to create a playlist—something that I do with some frequency—is a dealbreaker for me.
MC will export a variety of playlists. It could be that one of them will be formatted appropriately without the extra editing, or a minimum of editing. Personally, I found that I spent a lot more time creating the playlist than I did editing it to work properly...

riparius

• Junior Woodchuck

MC will export a variety of playlists. It could be that one of them will be formatted appropriately without the extra editing, or a minimum of editing.
I appreciate the suggestion, but I'm skeptical that it could be done without the extra editing, and even the need to do only a minimal amount of editing is sufficiently objectionable to me, as a matter of both practice and principle, that it's a deal-breaker.  I'm willing to use a high-price/low-benefit DAP, but not one that requires me to live as if I've returned to the 1990s.

MarSies

• Galactic Citizen
  • Keep on doing mambo ...

Hi Riparius, my AK240 works fine with MC.

contium

• World Citizen
Re: Is there an "audiophile" DAP that allows MC to create and manage playlists?
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2017, 01:07:22 pm »

JRiver playlists work with my LG V30. Granted its a phone but is has a very good DAC and headphone amp. Many people buy these just to use as a DAP.

riparius

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2018, 08:55:57 pm »

Hi Riparius, my AK240 works fine with MC.
I've just come across your reply, thanks.  I have to ask, though, does the AK240 interface have the same problems that I reported here in regard to another A&K device: https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,109686.0.html  

If the AK240 has any of those problems, then it is not my idea of a DAP that "works fine" with MC.

BTW, when I attempted, several times over a period of weeks last year, to communicate with A&K, I found their support to be non-existent.  Others have reported the same.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2018, 10:31:17 pm »

I looked at a few DAPs a couple of years ago, including the AK Jr and frankly, I just laughed.

If I was looking for a high-end solution now I would find a suitable rechargeable battery powered USB DAC AMP that was compatible with an Android phone. Pair that with a good App on the phone that handles playlists from MC, digital output to the DAC AMP, and I would have a responsive quality interface with great sound, all be it with a large device profile.

I recently changed to an Android phone, and selected the Sony Xperia XZ Premium partly because of its better audio handling. It is enough for me at the moment. If I wished to have Hi-res audio on the go I could add one of the Sony USB DAC Headphone Amplifiers. Not cheap by my standards (note that is an Australian site) but certainly high quality and compatible with the Xperia range.

What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

riparius

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2018, 08:17:19 am »

I looked at a few DAPs a couple of years ago, including the AK Jr and frankly, I just laughed.

If I was looking for a high-end solution now I would find a suitable rechargeable battery powered USB DAC AMP that was compatible with an Android phone. Pair that with a good App on the phone that handles playlists from MC, digital output to the DAC AMP, and I would have a responsive quality interface with great sound, all be it with a large device profile.
I appreciate your thoughts on this, but I was hoping to find a DAP in the form of a single, small device.

And, yeah, the AK Jr is laughable (as my review of it in the other thread indicates), though at that price, the joke was really on me.
Pages: [1]   Go Up