INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How to programmatically add smartlist to playing now  (Read 1609 times)

budloveall

• Recent member
How to programmatically add smartlist to playing now
« on: March 10, 2017, 04:28:59 pm »

Hi all,

Newbie here. Is there a way to add a smartlist to the playing now list without doing it manually? The specific situation I have is a smartlist that comes up with 6 songs I'd like to listen to. I press play and start listening. While these songs are playing, I refresh the smartlist and it comes up with 6 different songs. I then manually select all of them, right click and choose "add to playing now." This all works fine, but I'd prefer to add the songs to playing now without having to do it manually.

Thanks very much!
Bud

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: How to programmatically add smartlist to playing now
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2017, 06:12:42 pm »

Did you try the Car Radio buttons? 

Or Play Doctor?

budloveall

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2017, 10:37:26 pm »

Did you try the Car Radio buttons? 

Or Play Doctor?

No, I haven't looked into either of those features yet. Will do. Thanks!

budloveall

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2017, 12:23:15 am »

Neither Play Doctor nor Car Radio accomplish what I'm looking for. They do expand the original list of 6 songs, but not in a way that I'm looking for. Again, is there an expression command or something else that I can add to a smartlist (or some other functionality that I may not know about yet) that will add this instance of the smartlist to what's playing now?

Thanks,
Bud

Spike1000

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2017, 01:50:09 am »

Just trying to understand your workflow here. . .

You're manually refreshing a smartlist to get 6 new songs, but don't want to have to then manually add these to playing now?

Would a longer (than just 6 tracks) smartlist reduce (eliminate?) the times you have to manually add files?
And selecting the first 6 tracks (or more) and selecting 'play with play doctor' doesn't give you 100+ tracks that match the 'style' of your smartlist?

It may be possible to create a single playlist that's based on some logic and 'randomness' using your existing smartlist(s) as input that may achieve what you're after in one shot. . . You'd have describe exactly what you're trying do and how your smartlists work though (at the moment it reads like you're working with just one, short smartlist)

Spike

aviateur

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2017, 12:16:08 pm »

Bud:

This may be beyond the scope of the expression language. After reviewing the Wiki documentation (?), I wasn't able to find any function, such as 'Add To Playing Now' that would allow you to pass the results of a playlist or something similar to 'Play Now' in an automated manner. The expression language appears to allow the selection and manipulation of field data of your current selection, whether that be from a manual selection from your current view scheme, a playlist, or the result of a search. Again, I do not see any ability to pass the results of any of these constructs in an automated manner but I will keep experimenting.

Cheers,
Lawrence
Two Cows Walk Into a Bar ...

budloveall

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2017, 04:25:14 pm »

Thank you Spike and Lawrence for your replies. I'll answer both of you here in this one post.

Spike, You have the workflow correct and there are some work-arounds that I can do to get a longer smartlist, but that involves creating and maintaining additional child smartlists which I'd prefer not to do.

As it is now, the 6 song smartlist gets one song each from 6 different (other) smartlists and keeps them in sequential order by the ~seq ~sort=[Sequence] expression. Keeping the order is important which the manual "add to playing now" keeps as it adds to what's playing now.

Re: "It may be possible to create a single playlist that's based on some logic and 'randomness'", yes this is possible but I specifically do not want randomness. I want to control the order in the smartlist and keep that order as I build either a playlist or into playing now. I appreciate your interest and inquiries.

Lawrence, Thanks so much for searching the wiki documentation. I also wasn't able to find any function in the expression language documentation but was hoping there was either an undocumented command or some other way to add to the playing now list. I appreciate your desire to keep experimenting.

All the best,
Bud
Pages: [1]   Go Up