INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Edit Disk Information or Tag?  (Read 2429 times)

rsg

• Galactic Citizen
Edit Disk Information or Tag?
« on: March 12, 2017, 11:00:28 am »

If I am ripping a CD and the tagging information is incorrect or incomplete, what is the best way to update it: 'Edit Disk Information' or 'Tag'? I usually wait until the CD has finished ripping, and then update the tagging through 'Tag' (I think you have to wait until the rip is finished or your tagging update may not apply to every track). But now I am wondering if I should update the tagging information by selecting 'Edit Disk Information' while the CD is ripping. Are both options actually doing the same thing? Is one 'better'? The kind of updating I am referring to is missing date or incomplete title (e.g. missing something like "40th Anniversary Edition").

MusicHawk

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Edit Disk Information or Tag?
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2017, 11:49:43 am »

In a typical use of MC, the final locations of an audio track's metadata / info /tags can be:
-- MC's database.
-- inside the audio file, which can also contain tag text and even image (depending on the type of audio file).
-- some metadata can be stored as part of the audio file name.

While you can somewhat choose what gets stored, and where, to meet your needs, I use them all. I store all known metadata/info in MC's database (and I'm always striving to expand and improve what I know about each track). Also, I have MC write all of this data back into file tags. Then I have MC rename every file in a consistent format that contains some of the metadata.

How the metadata gets to the storage locations is up to you. Whether you Edit Disc Information while ripping, or later edit the Tags / fields, is simply a choice of convenience, same outcome. Some metadata can be typed in by the user, and/or MC can get it from the file name, and/or from online lookup, and/or from any tags that already exist in the file. But then or anytime later, you can further update/edit/delete/whatever, until it is "right" for you.

Also, consider what metadata you care about. It is typical to use some of the standard fields, but ignore others, as desired. You can see which fields MC assumes will be used, because they show up in the standard views. I use some, but ignore some. Also, I added several custom fields to store metadata that goes beyond or works better for me than certain standard fields. Therefore, the disk/track lookups that happen when ripping are only the start of getting the metadata I desire for each track. Customizing capability is essential for me, one of the reasons I adopted JR Media Center (actually, predecessor Media Jukebox) about 15 years ago.
Managing my media with JRiver since Media Jukebox 8 (maybe earlier), currently use Media Center for Audio/Music and Photos/Videos.
My career in media spans Radio, TV, Print, Photography, Music, Film, Online, Live, Advertising, as producer, director, writer, performer, editor, engineer, executive, owner. An exhausting but amazing ride.

JFBCFO

Re: Edit Disk Information or Tag?
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2017, 03:16:28 pm »

Hi, I think I am having a related problem and was hoping you could help.     Before importing, I used tag editor to ensure that all my files were tagged the way that I want.    However, when I import them into Media Center 22 (Mac Version), for certain groups - specifically the Beatles and The Grateful Dead - and then look at them in the side view under Audio/Artists - the individual album names show up instead of the Artist.   So for example under Artists - it will show the Abby Road title alphabetized under "A"  instead of the Beatles.     It also separated my compilations and soundtracks into separate artists, even though I had tagged them to avoid this and they show up properly on my Asset UpnP.     Appreciate any help you could offer.
Pages: [1]   Go Up