INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Convert .dsf to .flac issue  (Read 3768 times)

jkolker

• Junior Woodchuck
Convert .dsf to .flac issue
« on: March 12, 2017, 05:07:29 pm »

Hello!

I have a few songs in .dsf format, which play just fine on MC22 but don't do well being sent to the receivers in the house.  I thought I would convert them to .flac, as the receivers have no issue with .flac files.  So, I highlight my .dsf files, tell it to convert using the .flac enconder, and all seems to go well.  Until I try to send the new files to my receiver.  The new .flac files play in s-l-o-w - m-o-t-i-o-n on one receiver.   Basically playing 1 second of sound every 4 or 5 actual seconds.  On another newer receiver, it just doesn't play.

But the funny thing is if I use MC22 to play it on my computer, it sounds great. 

I've adjusted the settings from 6 (recommended) from both 0 to 8.  Changed some of the other settings, but cannot get it to work. 

The bitrate of the converted file is 6015, but do have other .flac files that are that or a bit higher with no problems.  Those files were downloaded from HDtracks.com. 

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Jeff

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Convert .dsf to .flac issue
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2017, 05:57:18 pm »

That bit rate is HUGE!  Which makes sense if you haven't changed any parameters when doing the conversion.  A 1X DSD file is natively converted to 352kHz by MC.  352kHz is a very high sampling rate that is not supported by most receivers.  A good number of stand-alone DACs support 352, but there are many that do not support it.

The answer is to convert your DSF files to FLAC, but to convert to a lower sample rate.  Something more sane like 192kHz, or even 96kHz.  Most receivers should be able to handle those sample rates.

Open the options dialog from the FLAC conversion box and you can set a DSP option to convert to a lower sample rate.

Brian.

jkolker

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2017, 06:14:14 pm »

I figure that something is overwhelming the receivers, but the flac settings mention nothing about changing the sample rate

The flac settings show compression, which I've tried the recommended, smallest, and largest.  And various combinations of the check boxes below that.  So, where do I find the setting for a lower sample rate?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2017, 06:16:29 pm »

Compression levels don't matter for what you're doing.  Just use the default.

jkolker

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2017, 06:35:50 pm »

Compression levels don't matter for what you're doing.  Just use the default.

I did (at first), but the problem from the first post still persists.  Which is when I tried other options...

blgentry

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2017, 06:45:30 pm »

When you choose Convert Format, you should get a box at the lower left.  In that box, you should see a button labeled "Options".  Click Options and you'll get another dialog.  In there you'll see Audio > Apply DSP settings.  Also DSP Settings.  Click the box to apply DSP, then click the DSP settings to set up the conversion from 352 to 192.  You'll see a normal looking DSP configuration dialog that will allow you to change the output format.

This is not obvious at all.  It's not quite hidden, but it does take some effort to get there.

Good luck!

Brian.

jkolker

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2017, 06:55:22 pm »

Oh, THAT option box. 

Found it, made the changes, and it all works great. 

Thanks a lot!
Jeff
Pages: [1]   Go Up