INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Updating blank Album Artist field  (Read 1276 times)

CDillard

Updating blank Album Artist field
« on: March 15, 2017, 11:21:00 am »

Using a SmartList I can identify all my entries that have a blank Album Artist.
I would like to then update these so that the Album Artist value is populated with the Artist value.
I do not see how to do this using the Modify Results function.
Is there a way to do this?
Thank you.

~OHM~

• Citizen of the Universe
  • "I Don't Play The Music The Music Plays Me"
Re: Updating blank Album Artist field
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2017, 12:17:24 pm »

I would just include the album artist in your tab view....I thought it would be there by default....then in that view all you would need to do is click "album artist" and it would line them up including ones with with no value....been a long time since i set my views up so not sure whats there by default.
“I've Reached A Turning Point In My Life. I Now Realize I Have More Yesterdays Then Tomorrows”

CDillard

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2017, 12:40:32 pm »

Thanks.   I am getting the view I want by creating the SmartList based on AlbumArtist=Empty.  The list is sorted by Artist so I can easily select all titles for an artist and use the Tag edit to fill in the Album Artist field.   But I have hundreds of titles and this is taking a long time.   What I would like to do is use code like IF AlbumArtist = <> set AlbumArtist=Artist so that the entire database is addressed in one step.   But I have no experience using scripts with JRiver.

aviateur

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2017, 01:27:06 pm »

Hi:

Just a point of clarification regarding the fields Album Artist and Album Artist (auto). I use Album Artist (auto) for this purpose. Whenever a solo artist (by name) has a guest appearance (i.e. featuring ... or Artist & Someone Else or Artist; Guest), I make sure during the rip (I use dBpoweramp) that I explicitly state that the Album Artist field contains just the solo Artist name (see image). This overrides the default value of (Multiple Artists) that would normally be stored if I did not make the explicit tag to the Album Artist field. With this approach I can always depend on the Album Artist (auto) field to contain the Album Artist name that was intended to be highlighted by a particular album. In normal Album Artist occurrences where just the Album Artist name appears for every track, Album Artist (auto) will default to the same value that appears in Artist and Album Artist will be blank. This is why I use Album Artist (auto) for my views.

Cheers,
Lawrence
Two Cows Walk Into a Bar ...

CDillard

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2017, 02:51:27 pm »

Thank you for the information.  I thought some albums were not showing up on my Artists display due to empty Album Artists fields.  But my display is based on Album Artist (auto) so that was not the issue.   I was able to query and find all my "Various Artists" under Auto and clean them up so I appreciate the advice.
Pages: [1]   Go Up