INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Updated files that had external changes  (Read 2669 times)

CHaun

• World Citizen
Updated files that had external changes
« on: March 21, 2017, 07:14:50 am »

I have 4 folders on my media server that show external changes to the files inside every time I run an auto-import ("Updated 67 files that had external changes"). Nothing has changed with these files or their location, and I don't have the issue with any of the other folders. It's always the same 4 folders and the files inside.

This doesn't appear to cause any issues other than the message during import, but I wanted to know if there is something I need to change or be concerned about.

aviateur

• World Citizen
Re: Updated files that had external changes
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2017, 01:39:23 pm »

Hi:

Is it possible that an external application (outside of MC) or process is changing your metadata for the specific 67 files? When I change a field of a file like 'Genre' outside of MC with Edit ID-tag , the next MC 'Auto-Import' will recognize these changes and perform the required update.

If this isn't the case, perhaps we can dive into this deeper. Would you please post an image of the top portion of the Import Details.

Cheers,
Lawrence
Two Cows Walk Into a Bar ...

CHaun

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2017, 09:31:31 am »

I'm not using anything on the server to change metadata on the files. It's always the same files, and I can run auto-import over and over in succession and it's still the same files.

I have attached a pic.

Spike1000

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2017, 10:14:12 am »

Strange one that.

Speculative questions:

Do the files in question actually play?
They aren't read only by any chance?
Have they got time and date stamps that'd you would expect them to have? (no crazy dates in the past or the future for example for last modification, created, last accessed).

Spike

CHaun

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2017, 12:48:00 pm »

They all play fine. The other seasons for each series don't have the issue. I have checked permissions and assigned everyone "all" in security and no other more restrictive permissions are set. If I change series or name, it updates fine but doesn't solve the issue. I've created a different folder and moved the files there and re-imported. I've deleted the jpegs and sidecar files and recreated them. I've hand typed the filenames on a few to make sure there were no hidden/special characters. I've opened up the tag menu and selected all tags to make sure there was nothing out of the ordinary in there.

I'm stumped but curious. I'm willing to not worry about it at all, but then I run a manual auto-import and the 67 files sit there in the details mocking me.

aviateur

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2017, 01:46:33 pm »

I find your situation baffling as well.

Is M: a local or network drive? Are there other files/folders besides the '67' on M:?
Do you have the Auto-Import option 'Update for external changes' checked?

Lawrence

CHaun

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2017, 02:23:48 pm »

M: is a local drive, I tried moving the folder to another drive with no difference and there are tons of other files on the M: drive with no problem.

I do have the auto-import options "update for external changes" and "analyze audio for video files" checked. Everything else is unchecked.

CHaun

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2017, 02:38:47 pm »

I just tried moving the files off of the computer, running an import so it could find them missing and then move them back and run another import. The problem remains.

I'm betting this has to be something with a messed up tag. I think I can trace this problem back to when theTVdb was having issues and I was getting info. Can you recommend a good external tagging program for video so that I can try re-writing or deleting tag fields?

aviateur

• World Citizen
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2017, 02:54:17 pm »

I just ran a test of a read-only file that was externally changed (I changed GENRE). The Auto-Import behavior was normal so that is not the problem. Regarding external tagging, unfortunately, I only have audio files to manage. I use the product called dBpoweramp which comes with a component called Edit ID-tag. I'll look around the forum to see if I spot a video tagging suggestion from others.

From a generic analysis perspective, there is some indicator that is detected by Auto-Import, which causes the update but it remains in the same state (is not cleared to indicate that the pending update was addressed) after the update. So when you run a subsequent auto-import, the same update process repeats.

Lawrence

aviateur

• World Citizen
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2017, 02:58:48 pm »

Hopefully Brian (blgentry) will see this post and thread. He always has good insight and advice for these sorts of things.

Lawrence

aviateur

• World Citizen
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2017, 03:30:36 pm »

Here's one more item to consider. If the problem you described does not get resolved within this thread, I would probably do the following because the 'Auto-Import' behavior you described is not normal: enable logging (Help > Logging...), recreate the Auto-Import 'repeated 67' problem, and then send the log zip file to the JRiver developers for resolution.

Lawrence

CHaun

• World Citizen
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2017, 06:40:48 am »

I found a tag editor and looked at the files. Even though there appeared to be no corruption, I made a small change to each tag and saved.

This fixed the issue.
Pages: [1]   Go Up