INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Move to new computer (with different location in the file system)  (Read 2297 times)

dmitch77

• World Citizen

I need to move my media library, including all media files and the MC files themselves, to a new computer. When I do this, the location of every file will change (relative to the root of the file system). So for example, whereas now everything lives in /Volumes/homes/mydir/music, after the move everything will live in /Users/mydir/music/.

After researching the Wiki and poking around and exploring a bit, here's what I've come up with for what I have to do. I'm not at all sure about this, so I thought I'd run this by the folks out there who might have already been through something like this. What I have is:

1. On old computer, do a Back Up Library op on MC.
2. Move all the media files to new computer, where I want them.
3. Install MC on new computer.
4. Run MC on new computer. Do a Restore Library op there, restoring from the backup created in step 1.

At this point I have MC on the new computer, with a library that doesn't know where its media files are. Now:

5. On MC, do Library Tools > Rename, Move & Copy…
6. Select “Update database to point to new location”
7. Select Find & Replace
8. Specify old path (e.g. /Volumes/homes/mydir/music) and new path (/Users/mydir/music)
9. Select the 12,000 media files I moved from the old computer
10. Hit "OK".

One question I have is: what will MC do after step 4, when it can't find any of the media files the newly restored library points to? Is it going to try to find those files? Ask me where they are? Delete them from the library because it can't find them?

Then, another question: is there a better (easier or safer) way to do this?

Thanks.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Move to new computer (with different location in the file system)
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2017, 03:06:13 pm »

Our wiki has a topic called Moving Files .

Rename the files and choose the directory option.

You could set up a test library to experiment.

dmitch77

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2017, 03:12:05 pm »

Our wiki has a topic called Moving Files .

Yes, I found that in the research I referred to. I was a bit concerned by the first line on that page, that says "Outdated: This content is outdated currently, and may no longer be fully accurate."

Also it doesn't answer my question about what happens after step 4 in my description.

Since that Wiki page claims to be out of date, and it doesn't directly address my situation of moving to a new computer, I was hoping for a little help here.

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2017, 04:40:53 pm »

What I have is:
[Steps 1 ... 10]

I'd suggest some slight changes.  First, step 9 should actually be step 4.5 .  RM&C won't do anything if you don't select files first.

Then, after step 8, but before step 10, I'd suggest that you look at the RM&C Preview Window.  It's going to show you what it will do before it does it.  Make sure that it looks correct before you press OK.  If it doesn't look OK, you can change your Find and Replace parameters, or something else, or start over.

One question I have is: what will MC do after step 4, when it can't find any of the media files the newly restored library points to?

Good question.  You should turn off auto import as soon as you possibly can after doing your library restore.  Tools > Options > Library & Folders > run auto import in background > (uncheck)

Part of auto import is a setting called "fix broken links", which *might* be set to remove missing files.  So if you turn off auto import, you'll protect against this happening.  Otherwise, MC won't do anything other than show you a red minus sign (-) next to each file and refuse to play it because it can't find the file.

Then, another question: is there a better (easier or safer) way to do this?

You've actually done a remarkably good job at outlining the proper procedure.  This is the fastest, best way I personally know of doing this job.  Once you've done it a time or two, you will probably find it to be relatively easy and quick.

The RM&C tool is one of MC's best features.  It lets you do things that other media managers just can't do.  Once you understand it's power, you'll be able to really control everything about your file layout, including these types of "I want to move some or all of my stuff" jobs.

Good luck and let us know how you do!

Brian.
Pages: [1]   Go Up