INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 9.1 Beta vs. 9.0.180  (Read 3233 times)

Klingler

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
9.1 Beta vs. 9.0.180
« on: July 14, 2003, 04:18:28 pm »

Is it worth upgrading yet?

I'm generally okay with Beta software, but if you have to reset everything (i.e. Media Library, Smart Playlists, etc.) with every new Beta version, then it seems like I should wait a while.

Any thoughts?

Rob

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: 9.1 Beta vs. 9.0.180
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2003, 04:36:35 pm »

if you lived on the edge you would have done it 4 weeks ago.

it works for me.

most things are better
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
https://centercitybbs.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

LonWar

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2003, 04:37:16 am »

It was 9.1 that convined me to but this program....
-

nila

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2003, 05:07:28 am »

You will lose it all, but it should be a one off loss.

View scheme's you'll realise why you've lost your old ones as soon as you install v9.1

It's a totally different feel and way of browsing, once I got used to it, I dropped all my old schemes and built new ones.

The new ones dont particularly work that well with v9.1

U'll find urself creating a lot of double columns with v9.1 and making the first one grouped so u can navigate around the second one a lot faster

ie:  Artist (Grouped 3)/Artist

gives u
A-C
D-F
G-I
etc

so u then click on that for ur first one to filter down the second.

Also, as you no longer have tree's - u can start browsing from anywhere u want along the scheme so if u do this:

Year/artist/album

U can ignore year if u want and just do artist

or ignore them both and go straight to album

Before you HAD to use the first items in a view scheme - now u can just ignore them :)

It's a BIG change but definitely worth it - v9.1 is a LOT better than v9.

jleerigby

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2003, 10:31:43 am »

Good point Klingler...

I read the posts about 9.1 regularly and I'm very tempted to upgrade too.  Main worry, like Klingler, is the initial set up (Nila's alayed any fears I have about this now) but also because I have a dial up connection I'm worried about the time taken to download and upgrade every other day.

Questions for anyone who has the answers:

Do you have to DL a full version each time there's a new build or is it just a quick upgrade?

Each time you DL a new build do you still lose stuff that you've customised like view schemes and options?

Are there any real 'show stoppers' in there still (music only)?

Is there a scheduled date for public release?

...I'd love to add my 2-penneth to the beta version but don't have a lot of time available.

LonWar

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2003, 10:45:56 am »

Good point Klingler...

I read the posts about 9.1 regularly and I'm very tempted to upgrade too.  Main worry, like Klingler, is the initial set up (Nila's alayed any fears I have about this now) but also because I have a dial up connection I'm worried about the time taken to download and upgrade every other day.

Questions for anyone who has the answers:

Do you have to DL a full version each time there's a new build or is it just a quick upgrade?yes it is a complete download

Each time you DL a new build do you still lose stuff that you've customised like view schemes and options? Sometimes you do. I haven't lost any in the past several builds. But it could happen
Are there any real 'show stoppers' in there still (music only)? It is a totally better product. If your using XP you should be able to revert your drive if it screws up

Is there a scheduled date for public release? Hmm well they keep putting more stuff in so I have no idea

...I'd love to add my 2-penneth to the beta version but don't have a lot of time available.

-

jleerigby

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2003, 11:38:40 am »

Just a couple more questions:

When you first upgrade from 9.0.180 and then each time you upgrade the Beta do you/should you uninstall or just wack it over the top?

Do you have to download all the plugins again - like encoders and Sparta's tools?

Are there any known issues with the beta that affect existing tags on MP3s.  I can cope with problems and glitches 'cos you can always just revert to the old version, but if file tags are at risk that would be a monumental disaster.

LonWar

« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2003, 11:46:18 am »

Just a couple more questions:

When you first upgrade from 9.0.180 and then each time you upgrade the Beta do you/should you uninstall or just wack it over the top?

Do you have to download all the plugins again - like encoders and Sparta's tools?

Are there any known issues with the beta that affect existing tags on MP3s.  I can cope with problems and glitches 'cos you can always just revert to the old version, but if file tags are at risk that would be a monumental disaster.

Install over top
Yes you will most likely need to install the encoders, SpartaPlugins and skins will still be there

If you are that worried use the library back up feature, You should not have a problem

**Please note that if your computer blows up from doing this I am not to blame!!**
-

Mastiff

• MC Beta Team
  • The Multi-Zone Tzar
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2003, 12:06:02 pm »

JLee, if you're chicken (or just have a spouse who does not like non working music systems) you do a full image of the system partition (with Drive Image or Ghost) and simply put that back if you're not satisfied with the results from upgrading.  8)
Tor with the Cinema Inferno & Multi-Zone Audio system

jleerigby

« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2003, 12:14:05 pm »

JLee, if you're chicken (or just have a spouse who does not like non working music systems) you do a full image of the system partition (with Drive Image or Ghost) and simply put that back if you're not satisfied with the results from upgrading.  8)

I'm not worried about my programs and PC in general - I very much doubt that MC would do any damage there.  My main concerns were down to effort involved in the upgrade and risking my existing MP3 tags.  I have 19K - not exactly a record I know but each one has been very carefully tagged involving listening to them all and rating them.  

I don't rely on the library backup as I know that the tags are intact on the files themselves but I suppose a library back up would allow me to restore any broken tags in a worse case scenario.

I'm going to give it a go.

GRAYDOG

• World Citizen
  • Weimaraners Rule
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2003, 04:28:41 pm »

I to was at the point you are at i wanted to but had secound thoughts i took the plunge because i got tired of reading about all the cool stuf Matt was doing and not being a part of it now i feel like i can .there are alot of smart guys out there that are always willing to send out a life line it is realy pretty  cool

nila

« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2003, 12:47:42 am »

One thing I'd suggest before doing the upgrade.

Just to be as safe as possible before doing it in case of any problems with the library upgrade.

Write ALL your tag's to the mp3's. Change the options for them so they're all saved to the files and then update the files from the tags.

That way v9.1 can get them no matter what happens to your library and there are no down sides to doing this.

As for the Beta sigh - I wouldn't worry about it.

Technically all software is beta - final release just means 'this is as far as we're willing to take it trying to fix bugs before we release it'.

No software is ever perfect and ur version of MC/MJ probably has as many or more bugs than v9.1 - occassional builds of v9.1 have big problems (like the build before last where we had no icons) but these are fixed almost instantly.

Just do the upgrade and thank me later :)

nameless

« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2003, 12:56:42 am »

Technically all software is beta - final release just means 'this is as far as we're willing to take it trying to fix bugs before we release it'.

An insightful remark indeed!   ;D

jleerigby

« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2003, 04:29:34 am »

Just do the upgrade and thank me later

Thanks Nila    :)

nila

« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2003, 04:39:54 am »

NP.

Cheques made payable to:

Nila's exotic holliday fund.

I'm not going anywhere this summer - how sad is that :(

Normally I go travelling for like a month or two - depressing!!

On the up side I am going to supposedly one of the most beautiful spots in Switzerland for a week in October for a one week dance workshop - all expenses paid. Still, thats only one week and its not for ages ;(

gkerber

« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2003, 04:40:47 am »

I use 9.0 mainly, but about once a week I try the latest 9.1 build.  Before "upgrading" I always back up my library.

Then the upgrade and I play around.

Then I reinstall 9.0 and then restore my library.

I ALWAYS have to re-customize the toolbar when I return to 9.0, but other than that, it's mostly painless.

nila

« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2003, 04:48:00 am »

Kerber

Not sure how competant/advanced a computer user you are but do this if your fairly competant.

Run regedit.

Go here:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER/software/JRiver/Media Jukebox/

There's a folder there for the MC toolbars - export that before you do an upgrade after u've customised it.

Upgrade to v9 and play, when you go back to v9 just re-import the exported file back into your library.

Should save u some time each time :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up