INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Encoding problems  (Read 1685 times)

arialblue

• Recent member
Encoding problems
« on: March 26, 2017, 07:38:36 am »

Hi,

I recently bought a new computer, and decided it would be a good time to update my Media Center to version 22 (from 20). I backed-up my previous library, and loaded it up into the new version. I went to rip a CD and found that it wouldn't do it. It keeps giving me an error message to do with not finding the encoder.

Additionally, whenever I try to do anything in the Options menu to do with mp3 encoding I get an error message saying the default has been restored, but then I get the same message next time I do anything.

I've looked at previous posts to do with this and they all seem to reference a lame.exe file (downloaded and copied into the plugins folder) and enc_mp3.dll file (ditto), but to no avail.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Incidentally, the album art lookup doesn't seem to be working either, which is puzzling. Am I missing a setting somewhere?

Cheers,

Ian

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Encoding problems
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2017, 08:41:11 am »

It sounds like you don't have a connection to the Internet that MC can use.  I believe MC downloads components on the fly to do decoding and encoding.  Cover art is pulled from the Internet as well.

Just a guess.

Brian.

arialblue

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2017, 10:56:43 am »

Thanks, I reached the same conclusion. The thing is, it was looking up album art (and CD information). It is now doing so intermittently. Is it likely to be a firewall issue, do you think?

blgentry

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2017, 06:28:24 pm »

Maybe?  If your firewall gives permission to each application that wants to use the Internet, then you certainly would want to tell it to give MC22 permission.

You might try disabling the firewall as a test and see if MC can do the tasks you want it to.

Good luck.

Brian.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2017, 05:52:24 am »

Antivirus software can sometimes cause problems like this.

arialblue

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2017, 06:58:00 am »

Thanks guys, I'm running it from a new computer, and I've a feeling that there may be a couple of firewalls and anti-virus software packages running concurrently. I know this can cause a problem sometimes. I'll have a play around with these things and see how I get on.

Thanks again,

Ian
Pages: [1]   Go Up