INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Problem with MC & WinXP Standby Mode  (Read 1792 times)

jleerigby

Problem with MC & WinXP Standby Mode
« on: July 14, 2003, 12:12:51 am »

I've recently started seeing a problem whereby my PC won't resume from standby mode.  I'm running XP pro with SP1 and all the latest updates.  The problem only seems to have started within the last few weeks and the only change that I've made to my system lately is the installation of MC9.0.180.

Has anyone else seen the same problem?

Pink Waters

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Finally I understand the feelings of the few
Re: Problem with MC & WinXP Standby Mode
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2003, 01:32:36 am »

what is the relationship between a multimedia program not running in windows background like The Explorer or rundll for example and standby!?

no one seems to have this problem

if you have a nVIDIA card ... be sure you install Q306676 patch from microsoft web site. it fixes some issues with nvidia cards and standby and power management,.

hope that helps...  8)
Tamer

jleerigby

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2003, 03:01:53 am »

if you have a nVIDIA card ... be sure you install Q306676 patch from microsoft web site. it fixes some issues with nvidia cards and standby and power management)

Thanks ToMy00.  I have an ATI Radeon Card so it's not that.  I thought about driver updates but the confusing thing is that it's only recently started happening.  If it's not MC it must be a windows update thats caused it 'cos there's nothing else been near my PC.

Pink Waters

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2003, 11:03:28 am »

Try the update too it may fix some issues!
Tamer

Wobbley

• World Citizen
  • What a bum rap for a nice, sensitive guy like me
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2003, 11:35:09 am »

That update doesn't apply if you've already installed SP1, I assume because it's included.

Wobbley

Pink Waters

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2003, 11:46:34 am »

yeah :) .. Coz it is included in that service pack
Tamer

DocLotus

• Retired and; Loving It!!!
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2003, 02:15:43 pm »

I'm running MC 9.1.213, XP Pro, SP1 I & an ATI A-I-W-Radeon 7500 video card.

I also am having Standby & Hybernate problems (but what's new... it's Windows, right)?

I have NEVER had any long-term Standby & Hybernate reliability with either Win XP Home, XP Pro or for that matter Win 98.

When Windows is first installed there is no Standby or Hybernate.  This comes about after you install a video card that supports them.

Soooo.... is it video related?  I think so, but no matter how many new, latest & greates drivers I have every installed the problem keeps coming back.  Standby & Hybernate will work for awhile then you install something that kills them or causes various problems.

Standby & Hybernate is so poorly implemented in Windows that I have completly given up trying to use either as I know that sooner or later they will start acting up.

Microsoft needs to implement Standby & Hybernate directly into Windows & not have to relay on the viseo card manufacturer.
MC... Latest version, 1 Mini PC, w/ Server.
TV... USA, ZIP 77036, Std view, Full screen, Not detached, Silicon Dust Guide, OTA, ATSC 1.
MC Audio... Realtek HD 7.1, MP3 Ext, Basic playback.
MC Control... Key, Mouse w/ G HUB.
Windows... 10 Pro, 64 bit, All MS updates.
Hardware... Beelink AMD GR5 Pro Mini PC, 16GB memory, 3 internal HDD's w/ 4.5 TB storage, 8 TB external storage.
1 SiliconDust HD HomeRun Connect Quatro, 1 SiliconDust HDHomeRun Flex Quatro, Amped Antenna w/ splitter.

jleerigby

« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2003, 05:06:48 am »

Thanks guys for your comments.  I agree that the timing of my problem is more than likely coincidence than an indication that MC is to blame.  I'll disable standby in power options.

Incidentally I tried to recreate the problem with monitor to sleep and standby set to come on after just 1 min and hard disks to sleep after 3 mins.  I tried with and without MC running but could not recreate the problem.  Each time I've had the problem in the past it's been when the machine has been idle for a few hours.  

Strange...but who cares.  Like you say it's not stable and not worth bothering with.

DocLotus

« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2003, 11:26:56 am »

One time I had both Standby & Hybernate working except for one little problem.... each time it came out of Standby or Hybernate the sound volumn would go to 100 percent.

Never did find the cause of that one.  Neither new soundcard or video drivers resolved it.

Finally gave up on Standby & Hybernate as being just too buggy... a totally "normal" Windows condition.
TV... USA, ZIP 77036, Std view, Full screen, Not detached, Silicon Dust Guide, OTA, ATSC 1.
Hardware... Beelink AMD GR5 Pro Mini PC, 16GB memory, 3 internal HDD's w/ 4.5 TB storage, 8 TB external storage.
1 SiliconDust HD HomeRun Connect Quatro, 1 SiliconDust HDHomeRun Flex Quatro, Amped Antenna w/ splitter.

nameless

« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2003, 01:11:28 pm »

Finally gave up on Standby & Hybernate as being just too buggy... a totally "normal" Windows condition.

The problem isn't with Windows, it's some of the buggy third-party drivers you are using.  In order for standby and hibernation to work, the entire system has to be compliant.

DocLotus

« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2003, 04:48:22 pm »

Tell that to the various manufactures.

We the user are only human... we have to use what the manufactures throw at us.

The fact is that Standby & Hybernate is unrealiable.

nameless

« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2003, 06:32:19 pm »

I don't understand your response.  I was just clarifying something...  your misplaced blame for standby and/or hibernation (note the spelling) not working.

Actually, it's your job to notify your hardware manufacturer(s).  They may have updated drivers that will solve your issue.  If you really miss using one of those power modes, it may be worth looking into.
Pages: [1]   Go Up