INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Fill Properties From Filename  (Read 1271 times)

davemccorkle

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
Fill Properties From Filename
« on: March 29, 2017, 01:19:31 pm »

Is there a way to have "fill properties from filename" fill "artist", "band", "album artist" at one time?  I use the library tool constantly and realise I can do this is multiple steps but was hoping of a way to code it.  Here is what i currently have.

m:\music\#\'Til Tuesday\Voices Carry\01 - Love In A Vaccum.mp3

So I want to pull the "'Til Tuesday" and replicate it to the three fields.  Right now it only updates "artist".

Fill Properties From Filename
Template
Directories:  [Artist]\[Album]
Filename:  [Name]

aviateur

• World Citizen
Re: Fill Properties From Filename
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2017, 06:32:22 pm »

Dave, Hi:

I cannot find any Expression Language function that will set a tag so this doesn't address your request to update three fields at once but it is an alternative to using Library Tools. After importing, choose a view that allows you to see the tracks for the target files of the album/albums that you wish to tag update. Then open the tag window and within the field you wish to update such as 'Band', enter the expression =[Artist] and press the ENTER key. This will propagate the [Artist] value, such as 'til tuesday, to the [Band] field for all of the selected tracks. Repeat the process for the [Album Artist] field. It is still 3 steps but the last two allow you to view the track and tag windows while you make the change. This is also the method I use when I want to copy one field to another. In essence, it is what you wish to do with the [Artist] field, copy the value to two other fields.

I've attached a sequence of images that changes a blank [Comment] field by using the expression =[artist] for the subject album tracks. The result is "'til tuesday" is placed in the [Comment] field for each track.

Someone with more experience may jump in to tell us that there is a way to do synchronous updating to fields. I'm just not sure what that is.

Cheers,
Lawrence
Two Cows Walk Into a Bar ...
Pages: [1]   Go Up