INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Pops and Clicks - every 4-5 months  (Read 2066 times)

AudioAnalyst

Pops and Clicks - every 4-5 months
« on: April 02, 2017, 05:23:50 pm »

So, I’m using a Dell Optiplex 3010, Core i5 (3470 CPU at 3.20GHz), 8 GB RAM, 256 GB SSD for the OS (Win 10 Pro, 10.0.14393), two external 4TB drives for music file storage and back up. I’m sending the signal out the USB cable to a Hegel HD30 DAC that will play up to DSD128 - so, I’m using their ASIO for USB driver…

About 4-5 months after a fresh OS install, JRiver starts to have pops and clicks during playback – of any format, at any resolution. I rebuilt the server last May and started using it then. By mid-October, I was getting pops and clicks during the playback of any file format… After using all the info at https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Pops_and_Clicks, trying all the buffer settings, etc., I rebuilt the server. Guess what? With the fresh install of everything, I was back to all silent play back…

But, it has started doing it again. NOTHING changed. I have the exact same settings for EVERYTHING that I have used since the day of the rebuild. I keep EVERYTHING, including the OS, fully patched and updated. I’m an IT guy by day, having spent 15 years as the IT Engineer/Analyst for the Athletics Department at the University of Notre Dame. I know how to troubleshoot…but I’ll be hanged if I can figure out why this happens after that 4 to 5 month time-frame…

I’ve REALLY hoping that I don’t have to rebuild my server and reinstall everything every 4-5 months. Has anyone else run into this - and found a solution?  I’m at wits end…

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Pops and Clicks - every 4-5 months
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2017, 06:38:29 pm »

That sounds like a system or driver update is causing the problem.  Did you search Microsoft for related problems?

AudioAnalyst

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2017, 11:16:33 pm »

Well, I just did a fresh OS install, and this time -- IT DID NOT WORK. It still does it every bit as badly now as it did before the rebuild... Any thoughts would be appreciated.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2017, 05:45:43 am »

Dawgincontrol

• MC Beta Team
  • We have met the enemy and he is us.
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2017, 10:02:41 am »

Try Options>Audio>Settings

then try the various memory playback options and see if that changes your problem.

Below that try changing bitstreaming

Then try unchecking "Use SoX for resampling.

DO it one at a time in this order and you'll have a good chance of finding it.  Had this problem about a year ago and the memory playback was the culprit.  But, any of these could be the area you would need.

It's also possible that you could go back to previous editions and find where it changed in an update.

Good luck.

blgentry

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2017, 11:23:46 am »

Your computer seems more than powerful enough to play just about any reasonable audio format.  It certainly should be practically idling when playing 44.1/16 audio.

I wonder if you have a flaky USB cable?  Or bad USB port?  Or Windows OS "power saving" changing the power delivery options on your USB port?  Just throwing out guesses...

Brian.

Zhillsguy

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2017, 06:33:50 pm »

Your computer seems more than powerful enough to play just about any reasonable audio format.  It certainly should be practically idling when playing 44.1/16 audio.

I wonder if you have a flaky USB cable?  Or bad USB port?  Or Windows OS "power saving" changing the power delivery options on your USB port?  Just throwing out guesses...

Brian.

I went to the Hegel website.... the latest W10 drivers are from 2015, which could be considered 'old' in W10 audio driver terms. The good news is that DAC is USB Audio 2.0 compliant, evident by the no-action-needed "walk throughs" provided for Ubuntu and Mac. If you have an old machine laying around, throw linux on it and try it, or try it on a Mac. When the Creators Update (USB Audio 2.0) gets fully implemented your DAC may work correctly with no drivers.
Ryzen 5 W11 x64 MC 29 HTPC/Server and HP G2 Mini Elitedesk W11 MC 29 (music only zone), various Android Phones and Tablets for control of both, powering two lanai surround systems, 5.1 and 4.1 respectively.
Pages: [1]   Go Up