INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Channel Order Bug  (Read 966 times)

Hal9000

Channel Order Bug
« on: April 05, 2017, 02:47:57 pm »

There Seem to be a mix up of the channel designations in JRiver MC22 (and probably earlier versions too).  Looking in the Room Correction tab in DSP studio, the Channels are named as flws:  Left - Right - Center - Sub - SL - SR - RL - RR  (fig1)
Using Convolution config file as shown below (fig2)sends the high frequencies to my tweeters amps  connected to Channels 7 and 8 of my 8 channels   (here in cfg file named 6 and 7 because first channel is named 0)
 This also works, and the signal comes out of last 2 channels as supposed.
So far so good.

Now looking in the Analyzer, signals show up on last 2 channels, but these are designated SL and SR.  Channel order is now switched to Left - Right - Center - Sub - RL - RR - SL - SR.(fig3)

It is a bit confusing that the channel order on screen is different in the Room-Correction and the Analyzer screens.   The routing is correct as L - R - C - LFE - LS - RS - LR - RR.....I think....but the analyzer has swapped Side and Rear channels.  Looking in the top line in analyzer you can see that the treble signal correctly shows at the last 2 channels, but channel names are wrong. Should show LR and RR at these 2 last channels.

But further...I have used a parametric equalizer to delay these 2 last channels (tweeters) by 0.1ms but also here I must select SL and SR channels to adjusts the last 2 channels as can be seen here below, I would have expected to use RL and RR:

Is this behaviour intentional for some reason, or is it maybe a bug.  At least it confuses me quite a bit...

All Best
Jan

PS thanks for a very great Swiss knife software player...

mojave

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Requires "iTunes or better" so I installed JRiver
Re: Channel Order Bug
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2017, 09:27:22 am »

The channel order in JRiver is like this for 7.1:
1 - Left
2 - Right
3 - Center
4 - Subwoofer
5 - Rear Left
6 - Rear Right
7 - Surround Left
8 - Surround Right

The reason Room Correction shows them with the side surrounds before the rear surrounds is because 5.1 content uses the side surrounds, but not rear surrounds. 7.1 adds the rear surrounds so Room Correction just listed them last. They still all map the same as above.
Pages: [1]   Go Up