INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: JRiver for Dummies -How can Raspberry Pi work when some use beastly CPUS/GPUs?  (Read 1689 times)

pepar

• World Citizen

Just started looking at JRiver (and Kodi) as a replacement for Popcorn Hour "appliances" to stream 1080p/Lossless Dolby/DTS movies from a media server.  Also have hi-res multichannel FLAC and DSD files.  All to a quite capable pre/pro. And all via HDMI.

With my context being using a small appliance for this, the Raspberry Pi solution looked familiar.  Ditto some of the other small boxes.  But then I started reading about discrete GPUs and Red October High Quality and I am somewhat adrift on Understanding It All. I am a gamer and also work with tools that rip, demux and mux Blu-rays, usually with several concurrent instances. So I understand beastly CPUs and GPUs. 

I guess my question is, for simply streaming HD video with no scaling or transcoding, and passing through lossless audio codecs to my pre/pro - all over HDMI - is there ANY audio or video quality advantage of a discrete GPU (and a beefy CPU) over a small appliance-type solution?

Jeff
"I like the future, I'm in it." F. Theater
Pages: [1]   Go Up