INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Always on IPC?  (Read 2403 times)

BCZ

• Junior Woodchuck
Always on IPC?
« on: April 09, 2017, 05:58:50 pm »

I'm using JRiver's WDM driver. Is there any way to keep it always on? Right now IPC stops after it senses there is no incoming signal, but I get an annoying startup stutter whenever I start playing something (and IPC starts).

Thanks

BCZ

• Junior Woodchuck
Re: Always on IPC?
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2017, 08:43:24 pm »

Bump

The initial startup stutter every time is really annoying. I need it to just stay on and never shut off. I even tried playing something really quietly, but if the signal is low enough that I can't hear it, WDM ignores it and shuts off after 10 seconds of "inactivity" as always.

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2017, 06:44:35 pm »

As noted in response to your request about this in the "how're we doing" thread, try the functionality under "Open Live" called "Wasapi loopback".  It's very similar to the WDM driver, but you can turn it on and it will stay on.  You just need an unused audio device set as the default audio device in windows (like the motherboard soundcard or an unused HDMi output).

BCZ

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2017, 11:15:31 am »

As noted in response to your request about this in the "how're we doing" thread, try the functionality under "Open Live" called "Wasapi loopback".  It's very similar to the WDM driver, but you can turn it on and it will stay on.  You just need an unused audio device set as the default audio device in windows (like the motherboard soundcard or an unused HDMi output).

I just tried this and used my SPDIF output as the unused audio device. But the problem is I'm limited to 2 channel processing now. This is most likely because SPDIF can only output stereo in PCM mode. How can I get JRiver to process in 8 channels?

Thanks

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2017, 02:05:52 pm »

You need a dummy device that supports 8-channel output.  SPDIF only supports 2-channels without proprietary encoding.  So an unused HDMI output would probably work perfectly as HDMI supports 8 channels.

BCZ

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2017, 02:14:44 pm »

You need a dummy device that supports 8-channel output.  SPDIF only supports 2-channels without proprietary encoding.  So an unused HDMI output would probably work perfectly as HDMI supports 8 channels.

I can't use my HDMI output unless I have a HDMI cable plugged in. No way to get JRiver to output 8 channels on a stereo source? If not how do you do stereo to surround sound upmixing?

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2017, 02:16:53 pm »

I can't use my HDMI output unless I have a HDMI cable plugged in. No way to get JRiver to output 8 channels on a stereo source?

Not that I'm aware of.  That's part of the problem the WDM driver was designed to solve, but it has it's own different configuration quirks as you've seen.

If not how do you do stereo to surround sound upmixing?

The sound device you use for the loopback source isn't the same sound device you use for output, so you can have differing numbers of channels on both and handle upmixing in the middle.

RD James

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2017, 07:09:49 am »

I just want it to not get stuck in the "Opening..." state which has been a problem ever since this feature was introduced.
Pages: [1]   Go Up