INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: JRiver DSP is clipping, how to track down the problem?  (Read 2317 times)

BCZ

• Junior Woodchuck
JRiver DSP is clipping, how to track down the problem?
« on: April 09, 2017, 06:02:54 pm »

Currently I'm using DSP studio to do an active crossover for my speakers. I am getting clipping and other weird noises at high volumes. Is there any way to track the signal and see where in the DSP chain it is clipping? Or better, any way to avoid this problem? Lowering the volume is not an option because as it is JRiver's output volume is already very low and I don't even have to turn it up that loud for JRiver to clip. The low volume problem is another problem I need to solve.

muzicman0

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: JRiver DSP is clipping, how to track down the problem?
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2017, 12:11:15 pm »

How are you turning up the volume?  Externally, or within Windows/MC?

Is the input clipping?  I would assume (but could be wrong) that MC has a 64 bit audio path internally so not likely to be clipping internal, but could be clipping on the output.

Are you sure it is actual clipping, or is it line noise?  Is it a harsh distortion, or weird noise?

My guess is that if you are seeing JRiver output very low, there is something within Windows that is set low (master volume?).  Then you are having to drive the input too hot to compensate.  In my Pro-Audio days we would call this Gain Staging.

BCZ

• Junior Woodchuck
Re: JRiver DSP is clipping, how to track down the problem?
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2017, 02:46:29 pm »

I found the problem, but it deserves its own thread:

https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,110199.0.html
Pages: [1]   Go Up