INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: One Weather Report Album won't play.  (Read 885 times)

syncopates

• Recent member
One Weather Report Album won't play.
« on: April 10, 2017, 01:10:06 pm »

Good Morning. I am in the process of cleaning up my music collection's file info. The vast majority of the files are AAC or M4A. There are a number of stray song files which appear to be duplicates so I am verifying by playing to see if they are identical sounding (on top of checking time and file size, etc.).

I happened across a few song strays for Weather Report. Checking them off one by one against the same songs contained in complete albums. I discovered in this process, one complete Weather Report album, (8:30) will not play from the main library. (The files load, show as playing, just no volume. Check song files above and below this album and they all play fine.)

Upon further investigation I found that song files from that album will play (from Windows Explorer using 'open with') in QuickTime, iTunes, VLC, but won't play in Microsoft's Groove. Right Clicking on the actual file using Window's Explorer's 'open with', selecting "J River Media Center 22", the files will play.

I have reprocessed the files through 'AVS4YOU Audio Converter' and also tried the 'J River MC 22 converter' (in the same format ALAC), thinking that would reestablish the missing data. Again, they will play in QuickTime, iTunes, VLC but not from the main library.

During the conversion process I created a new folder with a different name. I deleted the entries from the main library, closed JR MC and auto imported by re-launching JR MC; but same results. I'm thinking it may have something to do with a 'library memory'. There is a toggle somewhere that avoids reimporting files you've once deleted from the library. Perhaps there is another switch somewhere?

FIXED

Each time reprocessed the files and I created a new folder with a new name. Before closing JR MC I would delete the library entries. Each time I reopened JR MC it would add all the folders back in. So now with 3 versions of the same album but for a difference in Folder Name. The third version was from a portable Free Agent HDD and it's copy was pulled back from the iPod (songs play on the iPod).

I then converted the Free Agent song files to FLAC, re-opened JR MC and this time only the FLAC files imported ??  The album now plays in JR MC. I then converted via JR MC back to ALAC (M4A) and the files play. Still doesn't answer why, but the album now plays.

Pages: [1]   Go Up