INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Media stored on unRAID - how to access it from several clients?  (Read 2571 times)

pepar

• World Citizen

I have been wading through the wiki and haven't read where this is possible.  To me anyway, it seems basic. But I am coming to JRiver from a Popcorn Hour.

My movies, music, etc., is stored on a an unRAID server.  Can I access those files from multiple JRiver clients?  The unRAID won't be running JRiver, and I really don't want to have another computer running 24/7 to have Media Server/Media Network running. So can the library database be stored on the unRAID and accessed by clients?
"I like the future, I'm in it." F. Theater

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Media stored on unRAID - how to access it from several clients?
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2017, 02:17:25 am »

You have to run the library server somewhere so that means adding a VM to your unraid box and running it on there (assuming your machine running unraid is suitable for that).

astromo

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2017, 02:38:37 am »

All you should need is access to a samba share.

This might offer some tips:
https://forums.lime-technology.com/topic/42232-unraid-user-share-problems/
MC31, Win10 x64, HD-Plex H5 Gen2 Case, HD-Plex 400W Hi-Fi DC-ATX / AC-DC PSU, Gigabyte Z370 ULTRA Gaming 2.0 MoBo, Intel Core i7 8700 CPU, 4x8GB GSkill DDR4 RAM, Schiit Modi Multibit DAC, Freya Pre, Nelson Pass Aleph J DIY Clone, Ascension Timberwolf 8893BSRTL Speakers, BJC 5T00UP cables, DVB-T Tuner HDHR5-4DT

pepar

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2017, 07:37:17 am »

Thanks, I found a thread on unRAID and exactly what I need to do.  I need to check if my board/system meets the requirements.  I didn't include this function in my calculations when I sized my CPU.  That's easily changed, but I have a concern about needing a sound device to run my audio through. If that means my audio will be compromised by onboard audio or even a "sound card" that could end my pursuit of using JRiver.

Jeff

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2017, 07:49:28 am »

Audio is played by the client that actually plays back not the server, what device do you intend to use for playback? There is always an audio device involved after all

pepar

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2017, 09:42:57 am »

Audio is played by the client that actually plays back not the server, what device do you intend to use for playback? There is always an audio device involved after all
;) Sure, I know that.

I found this post https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=102475.0 on this forum.  Point #2 is what has been causing me agita.  The client devices will output over HDMI to my pre/pro or AVR, so those would be my audio devices, right?  Is there still some reason why my unRAID server/VM box needs an "audio device?"

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2017, 10:57:00 am »

If the server never plays anything directly then no need for an audio device.

pepar

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2017, 11:26:04 am »

Thanks, I will re-read the Interact post on the subject and merge that with what I can glean from the unRAID community.

Jeff
Pages: [1]   Go Up