INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: JRemote Connection Over Internet Problem  (Read 3745 times)

chrisgreen

• World Citizen
JRemote Connection Over Internet Problem
« on: April 12, 2017, 09:06:12 am »

I cannot figure out how to connect JRemote to the MC over the internet. The connection works great on the LAN. I believe I have the server, router, and firewall settings set correctly. I am able to connect using Gizmo when I am off the LAN, but I cannot get JRemote to connect. What's up with that?

aoqw76

• Galactic Citizen
Re: JRemote Connection Over Internet Problem
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2017, 09:23:33 am »

If JRemote works in your house but not from outside, then I would say the most likely culprit is the port forwarding settings on your router. The standard port for MC is 52199, so the port forwarding might assign 52199 to a local IP address, or to a local device (the latter is what my own router settings have, so 52199 forwards to my PC name running MC).
There is an option within MC to check whether it can access the outside world (or rather, the other way around), does that work? Click where the access key is displayed, there should be an option "test connection to this server"
xubuntu lts 14.04 32 bit, running mc22.0.36 as anything later doesn't work properly over vnc. using linux mc22 as media server to windows mc22 last version / jremote on ipad.
I am the owner / sole admin for www.cyrusunofficial.co.uk ("fan" site for Cyrus Audio hifi)

chrisgreen

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2017, 09:29:00 am »

Thank you for your reply!

I checked the test connection previously and again just now. I assume the response indicates there is no error...

Access Key: xxxxx (please write this down, it has also been copied to the clipboard)

You can load this server on any client by adding a library to the tree (Playing Now > Playing From) and entering the access key above.

Also, it seems that if I am able to connect over the internet using Gizmo, then the port forwarding issue must be working properly, no?

chrisgreen

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2017, 08:41:10 pm »

Still trying to work this issue out. Maybe I am incorrect in understanding the JRemote will work off the LAN. What I would like to do is use JRemote to stream music from my server at home to my iPhone while away from the home. I know Gizmo does this, and I have done it a bunch of times, but I don't like the Gizmo interface and want to try JRemote. It seems the port forwarding issue is not a problem since Gizmo works, so what am I missing?

marko

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2017, 09:21:00 pm »

Works for me, on iPhone, but I'm not using an access key, I'm using the server IP address + port number.

Couple of things you could try at home...

Turn off WiFi on your phone and switch to your carrier's data connection.
Try connecting by setting the external IP and port number in the JRemote settings... does that work?

If it does, it suggests that there's either something out of date with your access key or something is wrong with access key connection in JRemote.
You could try generating a new access key, which should start off with all your current connection options, and see if that works?
Although, having said that, if Gizmo connects externally using your current access key, it kind of suggests that something might be up with JRemote?

I'll test with access key when I get home and let you know what happens...

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2017, 01:32:53 am »

access key works here without a hitch. You must have something else going on at your end, but, if Gizmo is connecting from outside your network, I'm struggling to think of any useful suggestions to help you troubleshoot....

sorry :(

chrisgreen

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2017, 08:33:43 pm »

Hi marko, Thanks for looking into this. I've tried 'everything', of course I'm missing something. I rechecked the router, port forwarding, firewall; I restarted the the server; I deleted JRemote from my iPhone (and had a half day of fun getting it reinstalled); I generated a new access key. Maybe I even tried some other stuff, but in the end there's no joy. One thing, when I said that Gizmo works, I suppose I should say WebGizmo, as I was connecting to the server via a web connection not the Gizmo app for Android. I drove home today listening to music streaming off the server using WebGizmo (I won't go into detail here about why I don't love that method)", but no matter what I tried the JRemote connection won't happen. Here's the text of the connection error message in case anybody sees anything helpful:

WOL sent to MAC-address 'xxx'

Connecting to saved addresses
Connecting to IP: xx.xx.xx.xxx Port: 52199
Could not connect (An error occurred while sending the request)

Fetching updated addresses from jriver.com using access key 'xxxxxx'

Dorjee

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2017, 05:03:25 am »

Hi marko, Thanks for looking into this. I've tried 'everything', of course I'm missing something. I rechecked the router, port forwarding, firewall; I restarted the the server; I deleted JRemote from my iPhone (and had a half day of fun getting it reinstalled); I generated a new access key. Maybe I even tried some other stuff, but in the end there's no joy. One thing, when I said that Gizmo works, I suppose I should say WebGizmo, as I was connecting to the server via a web connection not the Gizmo app for Android. I drove home today listening to music streaming off the server using WebGizmo (I won't go into detail here about why I don't love that method)", but no matter what I tried the JRemote connection won't happen. Here's the text of the connection error message in case anybody sees anything helpful:

WOL sent to MAC-address 'xxx'

Connecting to saved addresses

Having the same issue.

JRemote used to work flawlessly now all of a sudden doesn't work.

I have tried resetting the access key and adding a new one to the pc and phone get the same error.

Using Win10

tyler69

« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2017, 05:25:43 am »

I recently set up a new PC with MC and JRemote can't connect from outside my LAN neither.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2017, 06:53:15 am »

The wiki has a topic called Network Access .

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2017, 10:08:16 am »

This is telling... The phone should have no issues whatsoever comunicating with jriver.com

Silly question #1
Is mobile data turned on on your phone?

Silly question #2
Do you have data allowance remaining with your carrier?

and finally, silly question #3
Are you able to generally browse the internet when this occurs?

If the answer to all three silly questions is "Yes", then something else is preventing JRemote from connecting to jriver.com, or, JRiver changed the access key url and JRemote needs an update to reflect that.

Here's another great thought that will make Jim smile...
Are any of you running AV or other 'security' apps on your phones?

-marko

chrisgreen

• World Citizen
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2017, 10:12:36 am »

Yes!!! Marko you are the best! The problem is solved by enabling cellular data for the JRemote app. I never thought to look at that setting. Thank you!

tyler69

« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2017, 02:32:51 pm »

The issue was also resolved for me: there has been a conflict in my port configuration on my router. Port forwarding for old pc was still configured so the router chose a random new port for my new pc. Removing the old configuration let me set the same port I have specified in JRemote. All good now.
Pages: [1]   Go Up