INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Media center crashes  (Read 4815 times)

stevem87

• Junior Woodchuck
Media center crashes
« on: April 13, 2017, 08:13:53 am »

Every time there is an update MC crashes after playback of a few seconds to a minute. Even if it's not playing it crashes. I have to go back to a previous version to stop the behavior. My music files are on a Synology NAS server and I am running Windows anti virus and firewalls.

stevem87

• Junior Woodchuck
Re: Media center crashes
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2017, 12:49:33 pm »

This problem has now just started happening when I didn't do an update. Just started all on it's own. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling several different builds of MC 22. Nothing helps. It runs for about 10 to 15 minutes and then crashes.

Spike1000

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2017, 02:52:17 pm »

Windows 10?

What do you mean exactly by 'crashes'.

Spike

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?

stevem87

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2017, 03:32:51 pm »

I get a message that Media Center has stopped working and must close. I have gone through the trouble shooting and attached a log to the original post. I have figured it to be something in the settings that is causing it. Not sure what. If I uninstall and reinstall and don't restore the library and settings, it doesn't crash. As soon as I restore it crashes. I'm trying to trouble shoot it out with the skins and fonts. Those are my 2 most likely culprits. Any other ideas are welcome,

broncodan

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2017, 05:59:49 pm »

Hi,

I had a similar problem - all my music on my NAS - I had a drive going bad - you might want to check that.

stevem87

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2017, 09:51:18 am »

Thanks for the feedback. I have a Synology NAS server. It's showing that all the drives are good, but there is an update that needs to be done...Hopefully that will fix it.

stevem87

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2017, 10:49:52 am »

I did notice that I am running a plug in Skin. IT seems that third party skins haven't been compatible since MC20. The problem is that they show up on the skin list like all of the others. There is no way to figure out which are original and which I added some years ago. There is no plug in manager at all that I can find. How can you identify these and disable/uninstall them?

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2017, 10:55:17 am »

MC really should not be crashing because of a Skin. If you can point us to the Skin you are using, I would like to take a look why it does that.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

stevem87

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2017, 11:03:35 am »

It's Black on Black. I am still trouble shooting things. It seems that even after I stopped using it, it still crashed. It took a little longer though. So I wasn't sure if the skin was causing it by just being there. I also just noticed that there was a pending update for my NAS server, which I took care of this morning and so far Media Center has been stable for about 20 mins. I'll keep you posted.

MusicHawk

« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2017, 11:45:18 am »

Not to pile on, but MC has been crashing regularly for me too, versions 108 and 110, when tagging Images.

I was tagging/re-tagging large batches of photos. Worked well for 10 minutes, then freeze, Not Responding message. Repeats... 10 minutes is just a ballpark, likely it is triggered by the intensity of what I'm doing, so many files selected at once for tag updating. At some point the next thing I typed or clicked triggered the freeze. But restarting again and again, eventually I got all the tags completed (so I'm not likely to do such a big project again soon).

I've done essentially the same thing big tagging with prior MC versions (21, 20, etc) without a crash, though I realize that's a fuzzy fact.

I think all the files are .jpg, don't know if that is a factor.

There are no third-party add-ons that I know of, though months ago I selected a different skin that doesn't have many gray/light/unreadable text areas (I'm just trying to tag, not have a visual "experience"). How can I tell if a skin (or other add-on) is JR OEM or added by me?
Managing my media with JRiver since Media Jukebox 8 (maybe earlier), currently use Media Center for Audio/Music and Photos/Videos.
My career in media spans Radio, TV, Print, Photography, Music, Film, Online, Live, Advertising, as producer, director, writer, performer, editor, engineer, executive, owner. An exhausting but amazing ride.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2017, 12:00:30 pm »

... I also just noticed that there was a pending update for my NAS server, which I took care of this morning and so far Media Center has been stable for about 20 mins ...
Musichawk,
Are you also using a NAS?

stevem87

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2017, 12:52:37 pm »

Been 3 hours now and still no crashes. I'm gonna try to switch the skin back and see what happens, but it really seems like it was the NAS update that fixed the problem.

MusicHawk

« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2017, 06:19:33 pm »

Musichawk,
Are you also using a NAS?
Nope, local drive. But ... sometimes searching/selecting more than 58 thousand image files, tagging a bunch in batches (those that have a tag in common). I'm guessing this quantity being processed triggers the crash. I've been using MC to organize my images for many years and don't recall crashes, in case some recent change might be suspect. Then again, my images library keeps expanding, perhaps hitting a threshold. The only clue is that MC locks up when I hit a key, but I'm such a fast typist I can't be sure what key...
Managing my media with JRiver since Media Jukebox 8 (maybe earlier), currently use Media Center for Audio/Music and Photos/Videos.
My career in media spans Radio, TV, Print, Photography, Music, Film, Online, Live, Advertising, as producer, director, writer, performer, editor, engineer, executive, owner. An exhausting but amazing ride.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2017, 06:32:59 pm »

That kind of disk activity can stress other parts of the system, including antivirus software.

MusicBringer

• Galactic Citizen
  • MC32.0.87 x64bit
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2017, 08:28:47 am »

..., likely it is triggered by the intensity of what I'm doing, so many files selected at once for tag updating. At some point the next thing I typed or clicked triggered the freeze. But restarting again and again, eventually I got all the tags completed...

Just a thought......when I do this type of updating I have found that I have to wait for MC to finish what's its doing. It is sooo slow at times. I keep an eye on the status bar at the foot of the screen, and wait till its done what its doing before touching the keyboard again. I suppose like me you have music playing while doing these jobs. I find that MC does not like multitasking very much.
Caesar adsum jam forte. Brutus aderat. Caesar sic in omnibus. Brutus sic inat.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2017, 08:36:03 am »

There are no known problems with multiple tasks.  These kinds of problems nearly always turn out to be related to other software or hardware.  Please try the "Weird Problems" link in my signature.
Pages: [1]   Go Up