INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Display of list fields in (experimental) Tag window  (Read 1759 times)

mattlovell

• Galactic Citizen
Display of list fields in (experimental) Tag window
« on: April 14, 2017, 07:14:49 pm »

Howdy,

I have added Performer as a custom field in JRiver's metadata, configured to be a semicolon-delimited list.  I've also set its edit mode to List (basically, mimicking what I saw for the built-in soloists field).

Entering several performers for one opera, though, I'm a bit confused regarding the display of the performer field in the (experimental) Tag window.  With more than one entry within the Performer field, I would have expected the field to be labeled "Performers", but the window still just shows "Performer".  Also, I was hoping (perhaps naively) that the list would be shown with newlines, such that one could read all of the performers easily.  Instead, the semicolon-delimited list is shown as just one long line of text.

Is all of this functioning as (currently) intended?   If so, any possibility of changes along the lines I describe as future features?

I know tagging of classical music gets involved, but JRiver seems to offer nearly endless metadata flexibility.  I'm just looking for some "help" in viewing the results!

Thanks,
  Matt

marko

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Display of list fields in (experimental) Tag window
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2017, 08:05:18 pm »

"I have added Performer as a custom field in JRiver's metadata, configured to be a semicolon-delimited list."

Nip back into the 'manage library fields' and find your field.
Double check the "Edit Type" setting for your field.
Sounds to me like you have it set as "Standard", when what you want, is List.

-marko

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2017, 01:02:30 am »

Though maybe not... I've an MC in front of me now and I see what you mean....

Like so....

right?

vs...

Good point. I'd not noticed this before. A good case of 'new' not necessarily being 'better' :)
Though, I still think the new tag window is better in general, even as it is. Slowly but surely, it's getting there, almost ready for prime time.

-marko

MusicBringer

• Galactic Citizen
  • MC32.0.87 x64bit
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2017, 07:00:53 am »

I have noticed some funnies with the new tag window and thought you would like a little feedback.
My tag window sits under the Tree.
When I turn in on it flashes. That doesn't make me feel comfortable.

Sometimes the length of the Field is too short so I have to stretch the whole pane to the right to expose the truncated text - in turn that stretches the right hand column of Field Names which means that the stretch has to go much further and begins to cover my working pane on the right. In fact I think the right justified Field Names column looks ugly (sorry) and would prefer the normal Left justified display.
thanks,
Caesar adsum jam forte. Brutus aderat. Caesar sic in omnibus. Brutus sic inat.

mattlovell

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2017, 10:47:32 am »

Sounds to me like you have it set as "Standard", when what you want, is List.

I double-checked the Performer field definition, and the edit-style is indeed List, as your screenshot showed.  (I hadn't tried switching back to the standard tag window.  I really like the grouping that's possible with the new window, so I wanted to give it a try first.)

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2017, 08:42:37 am »

Coming next build:
Changed: Made the display of a list style field in the new tag window show the list on multiple lines instead of all together with semi-colons.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

mattlovell

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2017, 11:40:45 am »

Changed: Made the display of a list style field in the new tag window show the list on multiple lines instead of all together with semi-colons.

Great!

From one Matt to another, thank you.  :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up