INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC Can't play after sleep/wake  (Read 1846 times)

dmitch77

• World Citizen
MC Can't play after sleep/wake
« on: April 17, 2017, 08:11:13 am »

MC 22.0.54 on a MacPro running macOS 10.12 (16A322). MC is unable to play after the computer does a normal sleep/wakeup. The UI is responsive but no audio plays. This is a normal wakeup via keyboard - the machine is fully awake, it's not in low power wake (e.g. from WOL). MC log attached. The log contains these events:

-- start MC
-- start playing a song
-- pause
-- put the computer to sleep
-- wakeup
-- unpause
-- no audio, grab the MC log

Even playing a new song (rather than unpausing) has no audio effect. The only recovery is to quit and restart MC.

Has anyone seen a problem like this? Any suggestions?

Thanks.

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: MC Can't play after sleep/wake
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2017, 03:57:25 pm »

Rather often, when I first launch MC, it will not play audio. It is responsive and seems to be playing, but I get no sound.  If I press STOP, I get a beach ball for about 5 seconds.  Then the beach ball goes away and when I press PLAY, it all plays correctly again.  I'm guessing that MC hasn't fully accessed the DAC yet or something.  So maybe try that.  It's worth a shot.

Brian.

dmitch77

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2017, 05:25:39 pm »

Rather often, when I first launch MC, it will not play audio. It is responsive and seems to be playing, but I get no sound.  If I press STOP, I get a beach ball for about 5 seconds.  Then the beach ball goes away and when I press PLAY, it all plays correctly again.

Interesting. Yes that gets past the hang. So does starting a new tune from the start. What does *not* work - and what causes the hang - appears to be unpausing a paused song after wakeup.

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2017, 05:51:02 pm »

Ah ha!  I'm normally a "pauser" also.  I almost never press stop on music.  I just hit pause (spacebar) and then resume it when I'm ready (spacebar again).  So we apparently see the same behavior because we use MC in similar ways.  :)

Brian.

MrMoto

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2017, 08:54:24 pm »

I get something similar. My Mac is hooked on the TV via HDMI. At the end of a day, I pause the playing and turn the TV off. The next day I go to the JRemote app on my phone and try to start playback again but get non response. I open the TV and check what's going on on the Mac and sure enough Media Center is hung. I get the spinning disk indefinitely. Only solution is to force Media Center to quit and restart it. Then everything is fine, until the next day...
I've turned off all powering down and automated tasks I could find on the Mac to no avail.
Sometimes I get a message that all available memory is taken or something like that. The only thing running on the Mac is Media Center.
This is very annoying.

I Have a Wyred4sound DAC2 that until recently needed drivers to work via USB. I've now upgraded the DAC to a driverless version (for OS X at least) but have seen no improvement.

Anyone have an idea of what could be causing this?

dfortney

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2017, 10:37:26 pm »

Same here but my situation is much simpler.  Every time my computer goes to sleep it loses touch with my DAC and won't re-establish a connection without relaunching MC.  Would be nice if it flagged itself on wake from sleep to re-initialize it's audio stack on the next attempt to use it.  One fix is to have it set to output to not the true DAC audio device but some virtual audio device that itself is outputting to the DAC.  Kind of like an audio forwarding device.  For example I haven't had this issue since starting to use Sonarwork's Systemwide app on my mac.
Pages: [1]   Go Up