INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Can I use replay gain and DSP/crossfeed when listening via JRemote on an iPad?  (Read 1291 times)

Von

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...

Hi,

I would like to know if it's possible to use DSP effects like headphone crossfeed and replay gain when I listen with headphones connected to my iPad or iPhone.

When I use JRemote to control playback on my computer, this works, but perhaps it's not possible remotely?

Would there be a difference between using a Windows PC or a Mac as a server in this regard?

If it can't be done, I suppose my only option is to create a separate library encoded with the DSP settings. If anyone has any tips, I'd appreciate it.

Von

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...

I'm still hoping there's a way to do this without creating a new library with re-encoded files, but in the meantime I'm experimenting a little bit.

I have re-encoded some albums to FLAC while applying DSP (cross feed and volume leveling). The files seem fine on playback, so I believe I can use this method if there are no other options.

However, out of curiosity, I analyzed the resulting files and discovered a couple of things I don't quite understand:

1. The dynamic range (DR) has changed, on one album typically up from about 8 to 10. Shouldn't the dynamic range remain the same, or, if anything, perhaps be a little bit reduced instead of increased, since the volume has been lowered? The R128 values are approximately unchanged, some tracks up a few decimals, and some down. What is the difference between R128 and DR here?

2. The new, volume leveled tracks have new replay gain values. In this case they have changed from around -7 on the original tracks to around +9 on the processed tracks. I would have expected the processed tracks to have replay gain values of around 0. Why is this not the case?
Pages: [1]   Go Up