INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Streaming radio channels  (Read 3346 times)

jjazdk

• World Citizen
Streaming radio channels
« on: April 19, 2017, 08:53:53 am »

My overall impression is that, as a standalone player, it does everything I need and works well but where it falls down is as a network of connected devices.

I agree.

My biggest "networking issue" with MC is that I cannot stream "radio channels" from MC to my DLNA device (Libratone Zipp). Streaming my saved music works, but radio channels do not.
Working on my 12 channel JRiver entertainment center :-)

robt

• Galactic Citizen
Re: Streaming radio channels
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2017, 03:02:09 pm »

I agree.

My biggest "networking issue" with MC is that I cannot stream "radio channels" from MC to my DLNA device (Libratone Zipp). Streaming my saved music works, but radio channels do not.

Agreed. We did start working on this and I believe the developers have the information to make this happen (as another well known audio server has already achieved this). Hopefully its on the plan for the (near) future.... any news Jim?

Rob

tls62dk

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2017, 03:20:19 pm »

I have my Radio channels saved in a playlist and they stream just fine to my DLNA device which also is Libratone Zip.

robt

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2017, 03:32:02 pm »

I have my Radio channels saved in a playlist and they stream just fine to my DLNA device which also is Libratone Zip.

I think this is about the aac format used by the BBC and a number of other stations (Radio Paradise). Do you have any stations streaming in that format?

tls62dk

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2017, 03:45:44 pm »

I am not sure, but dont think so. I dont really check the format. If you can stream aac in MC I would have thought it would also work to drag the stream to a playlist and play it from there.

jmone

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2017, 05:33:29 pm »

The issue is that over DLNA, MC just hands the URL off to the end device instead of pushing the stream through the DSP so it is converted to the desired format.
JRiver CEO Elect

Spike1000

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2017, 02:13:46 am »

The issue is that over DLNA, MC just hands the URL off to the end device instead of pushing the stream through the DSP so it is converted to the desired format.

I've found that DNLA results with radio streaming are indeed 'mixed'. The BBC changed the way they deliver their streams and broke my home setup  :( I've since abandoned DLNA and moved to using MC clients on Intel NUCs so I have more control on what happens between the 'source' and 'destination' of the stream, file, video etc.

Spike

jjazdk

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2017, 02:20:28 am »

I would much prefer that the stream was pushed through the DSP and converted to whatever format I selected, or even better if MC and the DLNA device auto-negotiated a format.

My radio channels are in either MP3 or AAC, I can't remember which I have in the playlist, but I have both options.
Working on my 12 channel JRiver entertainment center :-)

rhkrhk

• World Citizen
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2017, 07:10:22 pm »

Thanks for all the replies.  Lack of ability to stream radio seems like a major defect in the program - and a lot more important than cosmetic enhancements.

What's the name of the other "well known audio server"?

How about it, Administrators?
Pages: [1]   Go Up