INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Media Center removes/loses links to still existing files  (Read 2075 times)

jannil

• Recent member
Media Center removes/loses links to still existing files
« on: April 21, 2017, 04:15:12 pm »

My media resides on three different NAS-es. The contents of two of them rarely change. To the third one all new material is added.
The third one is the only one added to autoimport. The total number of tracks/item is in the range of 250 000-300 000.
From time to time some links are lost from the two NAS-es not in the autoimport. Sometimes a complete shared folder is lost.
Since I'm the only one on the network I consider the possibility of me removing them myself as non existent  8)
On manually started import of single folder the missing files are found again.

Where to start? Is this a "bug" or a controlled feature?

(Windows 10, Media Center 22 up to date)

~OHM~

• Citizen of the Universe
  • "I Don't Play The Music The Music Plays Me"
Re: Media Center removes/loses links to still existing files
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2017, 05:48:35 pm »

think about your nas in sleep mode till it's accessed. you start a file on that nas in MC, MC can't see that file because the nas is sleeping. the nas starts up and a minute or so later MC could see your files. so change how MC sees your nas files such as update for external changes and or fix broken links on missing drives. or spin up your nas before you access MC
“I've Reached A Turning Point In My Life. I Now Realize I Have More Yesterdays Then Tomorrows”

blgentry

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2017, 06:04:36 pm »

There is a setting that removes files if MC can't see them.  It's on by default.  You should probably turn it off:

Tools > Options > Library & Folders > Configure auto import > Tasks > Fix Broken Links > (set it to NO)

Restart MC just to be sure.  Then you may want to run an import on your other 2 NAS folders again and see if it picks up some of your files that are "missing".

I should really lobby JRiver to set this option to NO by default.  In my opinion, it causes more problems than it solves. 

Brian.

jannil

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2017, 10:27:09 pm »

Thanks guys!
The missing logic, at least in my opinion, is which links are affected by a setting and which ones are not.
The solution is than to add all shared folder into the autoimport and hope the option "Yes (protect links on missing drives)" will do the trick. If not, "No" is an alternative.
My expectance on the setting to which you make your choice when defining autoimport would only apply to the sources you've added into the autoimport and the rest should be left unaffected.
As a complete import takes 8-10 hours in my case.

An improvement would be to make this setting become two settings. One for the sources added into autoimport and another for the sources not in the autoimport. I guess more people than I use the tactics of adding new stuff in one shared folder on a NAS or disk with free space rather than reorganize all your folders when running out of space on one NAS or disk.

blgentry

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2017, 08:02:14 am »

As a complete import takes 8-10 hours in my case.

I've imported 50,000 files in something like 2 hours (maybe 3?).  Do you have ~200,000 files?  A good number of people here have giant collections.  I'm just asking.  :)

Brian.

jannil

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2017, 06:42:14 am »

Closer to 300 000, mostly audio.
If you chose to update thumbnails a complete import lasts for about two days....

blgentry

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2017, 06:46:17 am »

Wowsers, that's a lot of music.  Cool. :)

Brian.
Pages: [1]   Go Up