INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Wiki and Handheld  (Read 2174 times)

akira54

• Galactic Citizen
Wiki and Handheld
« on: April 22, 2017, 04:17:41 am »

I am in the process of checking out MC22 for Mac and bearing in mind Jim's question on How we are doing, allow me to share a frustration. Many have already complained about the lack of a proper manual. Others wonder what the use is if people don't even read the Wiki, and then there are those that complain that the Wikis aren't up to date.

Anyway, the Sync Handheld option in MC22 caught my eye. Great, perhaps finally an option to sync my iPhone with MC. So let's check it out. When I click on it with my iPhone attached all it shows me is an Apple Disk Image on my server. That is not very promising, so I search the web and find the Wiki:

"To set up sync for your device, go to:

Tools > Options > Handheld

And select your device from the drop-down list at the top of the dialog. If your device isn't detected, ensure that it has been plugged in and drivers have been installed. "

I did and my device is not listed. The same wiki page says nothing about iPhones not being supported. I do another web search and eventually discover that iPhones are not supported (or so it would seem). Why is this not mentioned right at the beginning of the Wiki. It would have saved me some time and frustration.

I think this is indicative for MC as a whole. It can be very powerful but it is never straightforward. (Almost) everything requires extensive research. After several years I still feel I am an absolute beginner and bad communication as in the wiki does not help.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Wiki and Handheld
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2017, 08:05:24 am »

This is an Apple problem.  They locked their devices.

akira54

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2017, 03:55:09 pm »

You misunderstand. I am not blaming MC for not being able to sync music to my Apple device (well not much anyway), the complaint was about not informing users that all OSX handheld devices are excluded.

PS. Blaming Apple for locking their devices hasn't stopped others from offering this functionality (yes I know ... after the next OSX update it won't work any longer).

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2017, 05:54:49 pm »

Akira,

The point you are making is fairly valid:  MC's documentation isn't complete, or super easy to search.  Most everything you need to know is documented either in the Wiki or in the forums, but it can definitely take time and research to find it.  I've spent quite a bit of time figuring out the things I know about MC.

What you're going to find, I think, is that the JRiver staff don't have an interest in massively changing their documentation model.  They've previously spent a bunch of money trying to get it documented fully, and ended up with something they couldn't use.  That's the story I remember anyway.

Just some friendly advice:  Your posts seem to be a little angry and demanding sometimes.  Maybe it's just how I am reading them.  But I can tell you from experience that these types of posts mostly get ignored.  The more negative emotions there are in a post, the less likely it is that JRiver staff will respond in any kind of positive way.  I don't mean this observation in any kind of negative way.  I'm trying to help you get what you want.

If you have questions, please ask.  I'm here to help.

Take care,

Brian.
Pages: [1]   Go Up