INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How to import music library and retain folder structure?  (Read 6365 times)

ammscray

• Recent member
How to import music library and retain folder structure?
« on: April 22, 2017, 01:20:45 pm »

greetings, first post here.

I am a longtime foobar user but decided to try MC for bit-perfect audio playback since a few friends of mine seem to really like it and it does a few things foobar doesnt do, such as auto-switching the bit depth and disabling/bypasing the volume control when using an outboard DAC.

I did do alot of searching online and on this forum, to try and figure a solution to this problem but have been unable to come up with anything concrete.

Unlike all other music players, MC disintegrates my folder strucure and I would like to be able to import it as is. It also changes the track numbers all around and in alot of cases, sets all track numbers to "1" for some reason.

For instance, I have a couple of 4TB drives with music folders on them, and one is "classical" where I have alot of my classical rips...but when imported, MC splits them all up and they're listed alphabetically so no longer are they in one place.

Then I have several folders with only 24 bit files, and it does the same with them.

Worst of all, I have a folder with at least 50 or so custom compilations from various years such as 50's, 60's, 70's etc and when those folders get inported, all the songs get seperated by themselves, alphabetically...this is extremely inconvenient and impractical for me...I dont know why MC does this, I just want to find out how to change the way it imports.

I've tried importing just one compilation folder and setting it to details and album, etc but it still just fragments all the songs, and there doesnt seem to be a simple "folder" option.

In a perfect world, like other players I would love to be able to just open and play a folder's songs as is, or add to a playlist etc...and I just use the name of the song, and sometimes duration/filetype, I dont need all the extra stuff like art/genre/rating etc etc

Any help would be greatly appreciated, many thanks in advance!
Angelo

~OHM~

• Citizen of the Universe
  • "I Don't Play The Music The Music Plays Me"
Re: How to import music library and retain folder structure?
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2017, 01:31:58 pm »

MC does NOT make folder changes....It may appear that way inside of MC, as far as custom files as long as they are tagged correctly I would expect you to have no problems.....your tags are incorrect if your seeing 2 or more cd's for what is actually 1
“I've Reached A Turning Point In My Life. I Now Realize I Have More Yesterdays Then Tomorrows”

ammscray

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2017, 01:54:45 pm »

thanks for replying...Im sorry but I dont know what you mean by "tags"...and no a CD isnt showing up twice, please reread my post explaining what is happening to the files..

importing my library does not keep ANY folders, it breaks everything down to seperate albums in a-z order so everything from a 4tb drive is all over the place, with compilations being disintegrated into hundreds of seperate files

I dont have any problems with this library being imported into foobar, winamp, musicbee, etc etc, completely as is

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2017, 03:34:01 pm »

A tag is a field, stored inside the file.  You could read this:
http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Library_Fields

ammscray

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2017, 04:08:20 pm »

thank you. I do understand what tags are, but it doesnt solve my problem, since my files are imported into all other progs as-is without any problems. I just need to know how to import into MC.

blgentry

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2017, 04:34:50 pm »

I suspect that in "other programs" you are looking at a pure files based view that just shows directory (folder) and file names.  I'm guessing that your tags (metadata) are incomplete or missing for many of your files.  MC works best when it has good tags.

But you can use MC in a more file focused way also.  Just go to the left hand navigation pane and go to Audio > Files .  At the top of the Files view, you'll see a Pane titled "Location".  In Location you can drill down into drives, folders, etc, and the files will be shown below.

Good luck,

Brian.

ammscray

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2017, 05:11:29 pm »

thanks Brian, I actually have it set that way...but again, even if I only import 3 compilations, I end up with 70+ files all piled together in a-z order, which does me no good.

I have no idea what state my tags are in, have never messed with them and dont plan to obviously...we're talking thousands of files here...it just makes no sense that it seems MC thought of everything under the sun, but yet there's no folder option? It just makes zero sense.

Does anybody know who the person who coded this program is, I'd like to ask him/them about it...I know Im not the only person with this simple request which is default in every other player on the planet

blgentry

« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2017, 05:24:58 pm »

You may want to sort by Filename, instead of the default.  Just click on the filename column and tell it to sort within groups by filename.

The developers of JRiver MC (the "coders") all read these forums pretty frequently.  Matt, the original architect of MC replies here pretty often.  Jim, the president and owner of JRiver reads just about everything that is posted in the forum.  So, you have the eyes and ears of the people you are asking about.

There is probably a way to build a view that would help you out more.  It's hard to me to be sure, or to do experiments, because my music as always had proper tags for everything.  I consider that a key part of my own way of working with my music.  I'm not sure what kind of view you're looking for.  Are you looking for more like a Windows Explorer type view or something?  If so, you might be best served by actually using Windows Explorer, and using the MC context menu that is available there to actually play your music.

Using MC that way only uses a teeny tiny bit of it's available features and power, but if that makes you happy, then it's the best way for you.

Good luck.

Brian.

ammscray

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2017, 05:58:42 pm »

thanks blgentry...

the kind of import/view Im looking for is in fact I guess, what you would describe as explorer-like...or simply how all other players import...I want to import one of my "24/96" folders and have it import intact, with all subfolders, and not be dis-integreated into albums listed in a-z order...Im sure there's plenty of folks who love that, but I just dont understand why there is no (or I cannot find) the option to have folders

and I dont know what you mean by using explorer context menu to access MC, that would prob work perfectly, but I cant find any link between the two...could you explain please?

I am simply a professional musician/sound engineer semi-audiophile who likes to listen to bit-perfect audio...I really dont need any of the bells and whistles...again there's a couple of features that MC does that foobar doesnt do like auto-switch between 16 and 24 bit files which I do quite often, and it would be great to not have to manually switch in foobar everytime

I also was interested in looking into the video part of MC, but I need to get past this

blgentry

« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2017, 06:11:17 pm »

I want to import one of my "24/96" folders and have it import intact, with all subfolders, and not be dis-integreated into albums listed in a-z order...Im sure there's plenty of folks who love that, but I just dont understand why there is no (or I cannot find) the option to have folders

I don't mean this in a negative way, but the "files based browsing" model of digital music is a relic at this point.  JRiver MC is based on metadata as it's core organizing method.  However, I *think* there's a file explorer type thing in the Windows version of MC.  I use MC pretty much exclusively on a Mac, so my experience with the Windows version is limited.  Try going to Drives and Devices in the left hand Navigation area.  I'm pretty sure you can do folder by folder there.  Again, I know you have little or no metadata and you're not interested in it.  I'm responding to your question because you asked. :)

and I dont know what you mean by using explorer context menu to access MC, that would prob work perfectly, but I cant find any link between the two...could you explain please?

Again, I have limited experience with the windows version.  I believe that if you Right Click on a file in Windows Explorer (the file explorer), you'll get a menu.  Once you install MC, you there should be MC options in this right click menu.  Things like "play this file in MC".  If you don't see MC in your right click menu, you probably have to enable it in MC's options.  I think it's under General, but I'm not sure.  I'm 100% sure that this type of menu integration exists.  I just don't know exactly how to enable it, or if it's enabled by default.

Brian.

ammscray

• Recent member
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2017, 06:39:10 pm »

thanks Brian.

yup, relic, that would be me! But that said, as much as I appreciate MC's sophisticated meta-import and all its bells, I just think its rediculous not to have the folder option...sorry, but other players have very intensive settings and abilties too but still they import the darn folders FIRST

I did try finding where to enable explorer in settings, as well as associate file types etc etc but no go...when I right click on one file only in explorer, I have the ability to open with MC, but anymore than one file, or a folder, there is no option anymore

I still have a feeling it could still be an unchecked box that could get me where I want...and I know it would benefit others like me as well, b/c there are several other threads that have asked the same question...the reason I started my own is b/c I got sick of the only answer being "you need to correctly tag all of your 5,000+ files"...yeah right :(

if my libraries work everywhere else, then they're as right as they need to be IMO :)

I have no prob sticking with foobar, there is no difference in SQ, but I'd rather not give up without a fight, or at least knowing there's NO way to do what I want

nice folks here.
Angelo

~OHM~

• "I Don't Play The Music The Music Plays Me"
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2017, 07:11:42 pm »

thanks for replying...Im sorry but I dont know what you mean by "tags"...and no a CD isnt showing up twice, please reread my post explaining what is happening to the files..

importing my library does not keep ANY folders, it breaks everything down to seperate albums in a-z order so everything from a 4tb drive is all over the place, with compilations being disintegrated into hundreds of seperate files

I dont have any problems with this library being imported into foobar, winamp, musicbee, etc etc, completely as is

ya I know exactly what you wrote and meant. I think you don't understand what I meant....Brian is your go to guy...goodluck
“I've Reached A Turning Point In My Life. I Now Realize I Have More Yesterdays Then Tomorrows”

ammscray

• Recent member
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2017, 07:26:01 pm »

you're right, I still have no idea what you meant by "your tags are incorrect if your seeing 2 or more cd's for what is actually 1"

but thank you.

ferday

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2017, 07:35:48 pm »

you can do file location based browsing .  I thought there was even one default one out of the box ("Files")

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2017, 08:26:05 pm »

EDIT: My second post below may be what you want, so perhaps try that before this one.

WARNING: If you are just learning how to use MC, and want to make it work the way you want, copy some example audio files to a new directory on your hard disk, and create a new library then import just the files in that new directory. Some commands can Move, Rename, Copy, and Delete files on your hard disk, and you don't want to do that while learning MC. Also, the example below will write tags to the selected files, so they will be updated. Do that on a copy first, to learn the process and evaluate the result. Then if happy, switch back to your main library and implement the solution you want. Yes, MC has quite a learning curve.

you can do file location based browsing .  I thought there was even one default one out of the box ("Files")

There is, Under Audio/Files/[Hard drive location]/[Music Directory]/[Your music sub-directory structure]

But drilling down through those levels is a crude way of finding audio files compared to the metadata based Views used in MC.

Tagging 5,000 files is not a difficult thing to do in MC, if you have already created a directory structure and file naming convention that includes the required information. If the "other programs" are finding and grouping the audio files together correctly, particularly compilations, then it is likely you have the correct information either already in tags, or in the directory structure and file names.

There is a command under the right click menu to update tags from the directory structure and file naming convention you are using. Select a few files in your new test library (after importing them), then;
Right Click on one of the selected files,
Select "Library Tools"
Select "Fill Properties From Filename..."

Or just select the files and press F12.

In the dialogue that opens you can set up a Template to read the required information from you directories/files. See example in image attached below.

Refer to this thread and specific post for more information: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=78206.msg531771#msg531771

Note the use of (Multiple Artists) in the compilations I used in the example. You will need to read up on what (Multiple Artists) means and how to use in for compilations. There are good threads on the forum about that.

That probably all sounds pretty difficult, so why don't you provide some example directory structure and file naming that you use, for both normal albums and compilations, and perhaps someone can advise on the best way forward.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2017, 09:11:00 pm »

Oh, and also I forgot. There is a way to create a standard View that probably does exactly what you want. You will have to create it and see.

You can do this in any library, even one that includes all your imported files. No changes will be made to your files at all.
Open MC and click on the "Audio" View in the Navigation Bar on the left.
Right Click on the word Audio.
Select "Add Library View..."
You will see a selection of standard View templates. Click on the one named "Disk Location".
Down the bottom of the dialogue windows you will see the field "Name:". Change that to whatever you want this View to be called. This will be your primary View if you like what it does, so pick a good name. Of course you can change that name later easily, so don't worry of you can't think of the best appropriate name just now. Fix it later.
Click the "OK" button. The dialogue will close, and you will see a new View under the Audio tree on the left, with the name you gave it. It may be highlighted already. If not, click on it.
Done.

Have a look at the new View, and see if it is doing what you want.

Note that this View still relies on Tags for much of the functionality. For example, in compilations it is the Album name that is displayed at the top of a group of audio files you have stored in a sub-directory. If there is no [Album] tag on the files, then the heading for the group will be "Unknown Album by Various Artists". Ask questions if you want to fix this sort of thing, but you may not need to.

HINT:
If you want to see which sub-directory the files are in, right click on the [Filename] column heading in the View, scroll down the list and select the [Filename (path)] field. A tick will appear next to the tag name. Click anywhere outside the list, or press Escape, and take a look at the View now. The [Filename (path)] column will show you the sub-directory that the audio files are in.

If you want to have a column of just the audio file name, add the field [Filename (name)].
You can drag and drop columns to change that sequence they are display in.
You can untick a field to remove it from the View. That only changes the View, not the file.

Disclaimer:
My files are tagged pretty well, so this works out of the box for me. But the default grouping of this View is still [Album], so it may still look wrong to you. If so, change the way the file are grouped by;
Hovering your mouse over the View name at the top of the View. (In my case, the name is "Disk Location" in the example image below.)
Select the menu options as shown in the example image: "Group By" > "More (sort groups a-z)" > "Filename (path)"

The see how that looks.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

syndromeofadown

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2017, 10:12:09 pm »

I'm having a hard time figuring out ammscray is trying to do.
"What other software does by default" is not a very helpful.

It is possible that all he wants to do is view his albums by their containing folder.
If so this expression can be used:
=filefolder([filename,0], 0)

Ammscray could make a new tag field called "Album Folder",
then highlight all of his music and paste this without quotes into the tag window:
"=filefolder([filename,0], 0)"

A calculated field could also be used.
I can explain in more detail if needed.

Ammscray, if this or RoderickGI's help isn't what you are looking for, please explain more clearly what you are trying accomplish and not just what you currently see happening.

ammscray

• Recent member
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2017, 12:18:30 pm »

hey roderick and syndome, thanks for taking the time to post all that, it seems like both of your suggestions could work, but unfort for two reasons Im not going to continue with this

first off, late last night I had MC freeze up on me (in POS win 10 which I HATE but am forced to use on this particular device) so I decided to uninstall and do a fresh re-install...well that didnt go very well, it wouldnt completely uninstall itself no matter what... and then I proceeded to read several past threads about how in versions 17 and 18, the uninstaller file wouldnt work correctly, and was supposedly fixed in later versions; but I had the exact same thing happen with the same symptoms with version 22...very frustrating

sooooo, it took a really long time to manually uninstall it...

so THAT, and in lieu of what you said roderick about quite the learning curve etc, this is not the program for me...Im sure its great for those willing to go through that curve and do all the setting up/tagging and such to make the most of everything, but I like things simple when Im done working and just wanna listen to music, so I dont think its worth it for a couple of extra features when I already have a prog that does 99% what I need

I have to say I also dont like the idea that MC messes with and changes some tags when importing files by default...it didnt seem to change anything in my library when I cleared it (and I have it backed up anyway)

thanks for all the suggestions, they will prob help somebody else who comes across this

peace and cheers
AM

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2017, 12:24:56 pm »

Only one build of MC17 had an uninstall problem.  Installing any later build fixed the problem.

It's hard to guess what you saw since there aren't any details, but antivirus software can cause uninstall problems.

ammscray

• Recent member
« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2017, 03:38:39 pm »

FWIW I did disable my antivirus first...it just kept saying that MC didnt uninstall correctly, and it had the "cannot find the default skin" error? like people mentioned in those other threads...X out that box then it would go to the uninstall page again but all buttons including the uninstall button was missing...after that I couldnt get out of it, when I would hit ok it would just keep cycling through those same windows over and over...had to do a cold shutdown

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2017, 03:44:27 pm »

Uninstall the antivirus.  What you're seeing isn't normal.

Edit: Unless you deleted parts manually, in which case, install again and then uninstall.
Pages: [1]   Go Up