INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Room correction - Correct order of EQ & Crossover  (Read 3655 times)

ppataki

• World Citizen
Room correction - Correct order of EQ & Crossover
« on: April 24, 2017, 04:43:51 am »

Hi All,

I would like to ask a general question about room correction:
What shall be the ideal order of the followings:
- Room correction EQ
- Speaker distance setting
- Level setting
- Crossover setting

Currently the order I have is the following: Crossover -> Distance -> Level -> EQ
But I was reading on other forums that EQ shall come before setting the crossover...in that case the order might be Distance -> Level -> EQ -> Crossover or EQ -> Crossover -> Distance -> Level

Any suggestions please?
Thank you

jjazdk

• World Citizen
Re: Room correction - Correct order of EQ & Crossover
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2017, 08:08:52 am »

That depends on what you want to achieve.

If you want to apply EQ to specific speaker channels, the EQ should be after the crossover.

If you want to apply a general EQ to the entire signal, then EQ should be before the crossover.
Working on my 12 channel JRiver entertainment center :-)

kr4

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2017, 04:37:39 pm »

That depends on what you want to achieve.

If you want to apply EQ to specific speaker channels, the EQ should be after the crossover.

If you want to apply a general EQ to the entire signal, then EQ should be before the crossover.
Yes, but since he was asking about room correction EQ, the former is the correct choice.
Kal Rubinson
"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

jjazdk

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2017, 06:07:51 am »

Yes, but since he was asking about room correction EQ, the former is the correct choice.

I disagree.

Most room correction is done on the subwoofer channel(s), and I would never apply a general EQ to correct for room anomalies in the subwoofer region.

ppataki

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2017, 06:13:55 am »

Thank you both for the answers
Actually I have seen conflicting views on many forums, there are people saying EQ before Crossover, others say EQ after Crossover
I have only managed to find justification for the first one: if you do Crossover before the EQ, then the EQ can "distort" the Crossover by introducing potentially huge level changes around the crossover frequency
So it would be nice to hear justification for EQ after Crossover
Thank you

jjazdk

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2017, 08:46:40 am »

I have only managed to find justification for the first one: if you do Crossover before the EQ, then the EQ can "distort" the Crossover by introducing potentially huge level changes around the crossover frequency

The above does not make sense. An EQ does not "distort the crossover", nor will it introduce huge level changes around the crossover frequency. Especially not when the EQ is placed after the crossover, as the crossover feeds signal to the EQ and not vice versa.

What is it you want to achieve, and why are you in doubt?

ppataki

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2017, 08:51:21 am »

I have a 2.1 setup (3 channels), I am upmixing 2.0 to 2.1 and downmixing 5.1 and 7.1 to 2.1 using Parametric EQ
I also apply crossover between the sub and the monitors at 60Hz (48dB/octave symmetrical) using Parametric EQ
I use Room Correction to set speaker distances and dB levels plus I do digital room correction with CurveEQ for all 3 channels separately

Since this is all manual I would be interested to know what the correct order is for the chain (EQ, crossover, distance, level) in JRiver
Thank you

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2017, 09:27:10 am »

all that matters is whether the output is "correct", any order which gets you there is fine

in practice this means you generally apply room EQ after the crossover because you are EQ'ing the signal played by specific physical devices whereas you would apply EQ before the crossover if you were shaping the signal itself to your preference

jjazdk

• World Citizen
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2017, 10:19:55 am »

I have a 2.1 setup (3 channels), I am upmixing 2.0 to 2.1 and downmixing 5.1 and 7.1 to 2.1 using Parametric EQ
I also apply crossover between the sub and the monitors at 60Hz (48dB/octave symmetrical) using Parametric EQ
I use Room Correction to set speaker distances and dB levels plus I do digital room correction with CurveEQ for all 3 channels separately

Since this is all manual I would be interested to know what the correct order is for the chain (EQ, crossover, distance, level) in JRiver
Thank you

Obviously distance and level must be applied to the audio stream after the crossover, otherwise it will not work.
Wether you prefer to apply EQ before or after the crossover, depends on your needs and wishes. Also it can be discussed if it is bes to apply level before or after the EQ (in the case where the EQ is after the crossover).

kr4

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2017, 09:28:30 pm »

I disagree.

Most room correction is done on the subwoofer channel(s), and I would never apply a general EQ to correct for room anomalies in the subwoofer region.
I am not sure what you are saying. Room correction in the subwoofer channels is intended to correct for room anomalies in the subwoofer region?

Room correction in the subwoofer channel(s) must apply to all the signals radiated by the subwoofer(s).  That means the LFE signals as well as the bass rerouted from the other channels as a function of bass management.  Thus, such correction must be applied after bass management.

Source EQ for tone control as well as correction for anything in the original source should come before BM.
Kal Rubinson
"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
Pages: [1]   Go Up