INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mapping to a Video Folder on a NAS  (Read 1747 times)

DavidMW

• World Citizen
Mapping to a Video Folder on a NAS
« on: April 24, 2017, 02:23:36 pm »

As I have come to learn, the Id is mounted on my Synology NAS as "/mnt/music". If I want to add my video library, do I simply mount (option 20 then 10) as "/mnt" and that would capture my music and video subdirectories or do I add a parallel path of "/mnt/video"? These instructions: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=95376.msg657083#msg657083 say to follow this format: "//BOPEEP/music" I can't recall if the "/mnt/music" is preceded by "//" or if the "/mnt/music" (and hence "/mnt/video") is added in MC as a watched folder. Further, I think at one point, and maybe now, I used "//DISKSTATION/music" and that the "/mnt/music" with only one "/" was used only within MC.

I ask as I still don't have a firm understanding of the Id environment and desperately don't want to screw things up.

astromo

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Mapping to a Video Folder on a NAS
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2017, 05:48:38 am »

I ask as I still don't have a firm understanding of the Id environment and desperately don't want to screw things up.

I would suggest that to address this concern that you take a most diligent approach to backing up your library. That way, returning to a previous state is rather simple. If you do multiple backups on the same day, my tip is to add something like "a", "b", "c", ... to the file name to make it easy to pick the history.
MC31, Win10 x64, HD-Plex H5 Gen2 Case, HD-Plex 400W Hi-Fi DC-ATX / AC-DC PSU, Gigabyte Z370 ULTRA Gaming 2.0 MoBo, Intel Core i7 8700 CPU, 4x8GB GSkill DDR4 RAM, Schiit Modi Multibit DAC, Freya Pre, Nelson Pass Aleph J DIY Clone, Ascension Timberwolf 8893BSRTL Speakers, BJC 5T00UP cables, DVB-T Tuner HDHR5-4DT

DavidMW

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2017, 10:20:16 am »

Great idea. I will do that. But that only creates a backup of MC (which is good to have), correct? It does not save and configurations of the Id itself. I went through too many variations on the Id and MC that I'm a bit gun-shy of making changes. However, I did find my out of the woods once before, so perhaps I can do so again if need be.  I'm just looking for some guidance to help me get there without too many missteps.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2017, 01:01:10 pm »

As far as the importing goes, everything under that media folder will be seen as part of the stock auto-import settings (The MC user's Music import folder is symlinked into the /export/media directory and it's set to import Music, Images and Video).

DavidMW

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2017, 03:17:33 pm »

I'm not fully understanding your guidance. What I attempted to do was to add a new share path in the Id pointing to my video library on my Synology NAS. The newly created share path to "video" mirrored the existing share path to "music".  I then went into MC and added "video" as watched folder, again mirroring "music" on the MC side. After running the media import, no videos were imported. What do I need to change to import a parallel library?

Id:
#    Share Path                    Directory   
1    //192.168.1.9/music     /mnt/music
2   //192.168.1.9/video      /mnt/video

MC Media Import:
/mnt/music/
/mnt/video/

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2017, 04:23:27 pm »

I'm not fully understanding your guidance. What I attempted to do was to add a new share path in the Id pointing to my video library on my Synology NAS. The newly created share path to "video" mirrored the existing share path to "music".  I then went into MC and added "video" as watched folder, again mirroring "music" on the MC side. After running the media import, no videos were imported. What do I need to change to import a parallel library?

Id:
#    Share Path                    Directory   
1    //192.168.1.9/music     /mnt/music
2   //192.168.1.9/video      /mnt/video

MC Media Import:
/mnt/music/
/mnt/video/

This looks good.
If you go to option 13 on the disk menu (display status) you can see what's mounted.
Note that you need to reboot the Id after adding a share to the Id since it's mounted at boot time.
Pages: [1]   Go Up