INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: JRiver Zones Timing adjustment  (Read 5893 times)

ST

• Junior Woodchuck
JRiver Zones Timing adjustment
« on: April 28, 2017, 03:12:45 am »

MC22 works better with the timing synchronization for the 18 zones (14 with convolution DSP) but is there a way to minimize the 30 seconds delay? I use Mytek, XFi and low cost bare USB DACs.

Video of the initial delay and fully synchronized after 30 seconds. Only the first track is affected and thereafter it plays all the tracks without any delay.

https://youtu.be/PJhLXua_WMY
My complete system setup in website

ST

• Junior Woodchuck
34 Zones sync with different DACs
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2017, 11:04:57 pm »

Finally, I got the timing adjustment correct for multi Zones with different DACs. I achieved quick playback for 32 zones. I achieved this by disabling the "Play from memory" and keeping the devices' buffers just enough for skip free play. Also, please take note file format can alter the timing. For an example if the first three tracks in your playlist are 16/44.1 and the fourth is mp3, then it would affect the timing between the zones. Anyway, I have done this complex setup with JRiver instead of DAWs as recommended by many. Good job JRiver for such a versatile MC.

Here is a video of my room system sound recorded from the listening position with all the zones playing. 1 minute into the video, I have had muted the main speakers sound so that you could hear the convoluted sound of the 16 speakers. You can hear how all the speakers were perfectly synchronized.

It is possible to sync different DACs for multi channel output but it takes time to sync them correctly. Hopefully, JRiver will find a way to improve this. Thanx.

https://youtu.be/HOhnjWk9y1k

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: JRiver Zones Timing adjustment
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2017, 05:48:09 am »

Wow!  Thanks for the report.

ST

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2017, 02:50:48 am »

You are welcome, Jim.

Actually, I do not need 32 zones for the 8 trues stereo Impulse response with SIR2 convolution engines. I have two sets of grouped zones; 1) 32 zones using JRiver's convolution DSP and 2) 8 Zones using SIR2 convolution engine.

I am not sure how JRiver's convolution processes the IRs and therefor to play it safe I create 4 channels for each IRs. I am still testing the difference between JRiver and SIR2's convolution. Having said that, SIR2 convolution plugin alone cost almost 4 times the price of JRiver. This is not a straightforward method of dropping one IR so JRiver could relook at their convolution DSP to process true stereo impulse response.

Anyway, what's important here is the ability for JRiver to handle different DACs to remain in sync. That's quite remarkable.

kr4

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2017, 09:43:25 am »

Anyway, what's important here is the ability for JRiver to handle different DACs to remain in sync. That's quite remarkable.
Indeed but I am not clear if you have done anything new or simply demonstrated that MC can synch competently.  Can you explain?
Kal Rubinson
"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

ST

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2017, 09:48:06 am »

Indeed but I am not clear if you have done anything new or simply demonstrated that MC can synch competently.  Can you explain?

I have one Mytek and 10 different PCM2704 DACs to sync. It wasn't easy. I think it was mentioned somewhere in this forum that it is impossible to keep them in sync because each DACs internal clock differs.

I didn't do anything extraordinary except playing with slider and understand why it goes out of sync.

kr4

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2017, 03:41:19 pm »

......................playing with slider and understand why it goes out of sync.
This is what I do not get.  What slider and how do I find the info to reach that understanding?
Kal Rubinson
"Music in the Round"

ST

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2017, 08:20:31 pm »

This is what I do not get.  What slider and how do I find the info to reach that understanding?

Hi, I just went through your other post in Zone syncing. My situation is - I am using several different individual DACs in zone configuration to play the 20 speakers simultaneously around me.

Excluding the difference distance of the various speakers to the listening area, it is impossible to get all speakers to sync accurately.  To adjust for the timing difference, I use the "adjust timing link" sliders for each zone in reference to the main speakers. However, my initials attempts were unsuccessful because the timing gets drifted after sometime or after stop and play or after restart.

Have you gone through this exercise during your zone configuration?  If not, what method you use for synchronization? Did you measure or use a pulse signal to verify whether all your speakers are in sync?

kr4

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2017, 09:05:51 pm »

Hi, I just went through your other post in Zone syncing. My situation is - I am using several different individual DACs in zone configuration to play the 20 speakers simultaneously around me.

Excluding the difference distance of the various speakers to the listening area, it is impossible to get all speakers to sync accurately.  To adjust for the timing difference, I use the "adjust timing link" sliders for each zone in reference to the main speakers. However, my initials attempts were unsuccessful because the timing gets drifted after sometime or after stop and play or after restart.

Have you gone through this exercise during your zone configuration?  If not, what method you use for synchronization? Did you measure or use a pulse signal to verify whether all your speakers are in sync?
Thank you.  I have not done any of this but my interest is in using this approach to combine three (or four) stereo DACs for multichannel playback.  This is somewhat easier since the DACs will be identical.
Kal Rubinson
"Music in the Round"

ST

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2017, 09:18:59 pm »

Thank you.  I have not done any of this but my interest is in using this approach to combine three (or four) stereo DACs for multichannel playback.  This is somewhat easier since the DACs will be identical.

Right now, I am using Zone to recreate concert hall ambience. In my situation, slight variance in timing is acceptable. It only make the environment bigger or smaller.

However, I am also moving to higher level to play 4.0 and 5.1 format. For this, I would strongly suggest a multi DAC instead of different DACs.  UDaC-8 of MiniDSP is a good alternative. I am more inclined toward syncing three Mytek with the master clock synchronization for this purpose. It is the next phase of my project which I would start with a Marantz receiver. If the SQ is good enough, then that will be all I need for multi channel with convolution where I can integrate my current system with.

kr4

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2017, 08:13:55 am »

However, I am also moving to higher level to play 4.0 and 5.1 format. For this, I would strongly suggest a multi DAC instead of different DACs.  UDaC-8 of MiniDSP is a good alternative. I am more inclined toward syncing three Mytek with the master clock synchronization for this purpose. It is the next phase of my project which I would start with a Marantz receiver. If the SQ is good enough, then that will be all I need for multi channel with convolution where I can integrate my current system with.
Thanks.  I have all of those items plus the exaSound e38 and a stack of PD Merlots. The clock link on the Myteks make it easy.  OTOH, I am looking for cheaper solutions that I can write about.
Kal Rubinson
"Music in the Round"

connersw

« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2017, 04:51:47 pm »

Sorry, but I'm not understanding what is so remarkable here.  There are many threads discussing the use of the adjust timing slider.  As you said yourself, a change in the playlist will put this out of sync.  I would also be curious to hear how well this stays in sync after a reboot of your PC or just over the course of several days (for me, it will fall out of sync and need adjustment).

I think what would be remarkable is if JRiver offered a solution that (1) didn't require such time consuming tinkering and (2) stayed in sync over time with variation in the playlist. 

kr4

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2017, 06:48:23 pm »

Sorry, but I'm not understanding what is so remarkable here.  There are many threads discussing the use of the adjust timing slider. 
That may be but, although I have been a JRiver user for years, I was completely unaware of this function and, obviously, it never occurred to me to ask for something I had no reason to assume existed.  It is a consequence of the JRiver's lack of real, structured documentation (not the same thing as support) and the apparent inconsistent layering of commands and functions.  After I read ST's post mentioning the "slider," it still took me about a half hour to find it!

Now, I am undertaking an application of JRiver that I have been wanting to do for years.
Kal Rubinson
"Music in the Round"

ST

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2017, 08:03:40 pm »

Sorry, but I'm not understanding what is so remarkable here.  There are many threads discussing the use of the adjust timing slider.  As you said yourself, a change in the playlist will put this out of sync.  I would also be curious to hear how well this stays in sync after a reboot of your PC or just over the course of several days (for me, it will fall out of sync and need adjustment).

I think what would be remarkable is if JRiver offered a solution that (1) didn't require such time consuming tinkering and (2) stayed in sync over time with variation in the playlist.

As long you are using different DACs, then this is normal behavior for any kind media player or DAW. At least JRiver is superior that it can immediately see all the DACs. I am still trying to Cubase LE to see the MYtek DAC.

The sync remain in sync after rebooting. Try again by unticking play from memory and use the smallest buffer as possible. I am now using SIIR2 plugin instead of JR's inbuilt convolution and usually it syncs within 3 to 6 seconds and on rare occasions when I moved from album to album it may take about 30 seconds.

connersw

« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2017, 03:40:23 pm »

Now, I am undertaking an application of JRiver that I have been wanting to do for years.

Before you go down that rabbit hole, this may save you some trouble:  https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=95760.0

Many of us have spent hours trying to get whole home audio in sync.  Hilton's efforts are the best that I've seen, but it requires additional software and some tweaking to implement.

As long you are using different DACs, then this is normal behavior for any kind media player or DAW. At least JRiver is superior that it can immediately see all the DACs. I am still trying to Cubase LE to see the MYtek DAC.

First, MC is a Media Server and Media Player.  It is not a DAW.  Comparing it as such is not relevant.  There are dozens of software programs that can recognize a DAC.  That should be the minimum requirement for a Media Player.

Staying in sync across different hardware (with different DACs) can be done with other solutions like AirPlay or Sonos.  It literally "just works."  That was one of the aspirations for MC22:  https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,104805.0.html  Sadly, that never came to fruition. 

The sync remain in sync after rebooting. Try again by unticking play from memory and use the smallest buffer as possible. I am now using SIIR2 plugin instead of JR's inbuilt convolution and usually it syncs within 3 to 6 seconds and on rare occasions when I moved from album to album it may take about 30 seconds.

Again, you're making my point for me.  Falling out of sync on playlist changes.  Hanging 30-seconds between tracks waiting for sync.  This doesn't sound like a solution to whole house in sync audio that "just works."

kr4

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2017, 04:12:49 pm »

Before you go down that rabbit hole, this may save you some trouble:  https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=95760.0
Thanks.  I had not read it because it is not my target task.
Kal Rubinson
"Music in the Round"

ST

• Junior Woodchuck
JRiver Zones Timing adjustment
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2017, 06:01:26 am »

Again, you're making my point for me.  Falling out of sync on playlist changes.  Hanging 30-seconds between tracks waiting for sync.  This doesn't sound like a solution to whole house in sync audio that "just works."

The sync is no longer an issue after replacing the JRiver's convolution engine with SIR2 plugin. I have been watching the behaviour for about two weeks and they remain in sync all the time even when changing formats.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Pages: [1]   Go Up