INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sample rates and convolution - help and guidance wanted  (Read 1736 times)

Trumpetguy

• Citizen of the Universe
Sample rates and convolution - help and guidance wanted
« on: April 29, 2017, 03:43:11 am »

For years I have resampled everything to 96kHz in MC, and had a 96kHz convolution filter. The reason has been that my DAC is in a separate room, and I would need to walk in there and physically change the sample rate by pressing a button.
Now my PC-DAC interface has changed, and the DAC sample rate can be controlled from the computer. That means I would like to play using the native source sample rate, and only resample sources  below 44.1 and above 192kHz.

My convolution filter is (at least for now) 96kHz only. Because of this, I guess something is resampled somewhere in the audio chain. The DAC mixer shows that it receives audio at the source sample rate, so it seems to receive PCM stream in 44.1, 48, 96 kHz etc. Audio sounds great.

Could someone please explain to me what the audio path looks like? Is the convolution filter resampled to fit the audio stream, or vice versa? Would it be better if I created separate convolution filters for each sample rate?

Edit: Rephrasing here and there.

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
Re: Sample rates and convolution - help and guidance wanted
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2017, 04:41:37 am »

if you provide jriver with a 96kHz config file only and set output format so that other sample rates are output then jriver will resample the convolution filter for you. I don't know exactly how it resamples it (e.g. does it use SoX if you tick the SoX box?) but it certainly resamples it.

whether it is better for jriver to resample depends on what is generating your filters, e.g. acourate applies a constant gain above the nyquist frequency of the measurement sweep sample rate (e.g. if you measure at 48kHz then your upsampled filter will have a constant gain above 24kHz). I don't know how jriver behaves in this regard but no doubt you could measure with a loopback in place to find out. I leave it for you to decide whether this has an audible consequence.

Trumpetguy

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2017, 10:30:18 am »

if you provide jriver with a 96kHz config file only and set output format so that other sample rates are output then jriver will resample the convolution filter for you. I don't know exactly how it resamples it (e.g. does it use SoX if you tick the SoX box?) but it certainly resamples it.
Ok thanks. Maybe devs can second this?

whether it is better for jriver to resample depends on what is generating your filters, e.g. acourate applies a constant gain above the nyquist frequency of the measurement sweep sample rate (e.g. if you measure at 48kHz then your upsampled filter will have a constant gain above 24kHz). I don't know how jriver behaves in this regard but no doubt you could measure with a loopback in place to find out. I leave it for you to decide whether this has an audible consequence.
I use Audiolense, so I will post a request on the Audiolense forum.

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2017, 03:53:32 pm »

MC will resample the filter for you, but it does not currently use SoX because SoX is a zone specific setting and the Convolution filter processing uses a generic decoding zone, since we don't want to apply any DSP to the filter file (other then resampling, of course).
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters
Pages: [1]   Go Up