INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: auto organise files  (Read 3234 times)

johnnie

• Recent member
auto organise files
« on: April 29, 2017, 09:45:26 am »

Can MC do this
If I have an album in a folder outside the watched folder I would like to import the album into the library and move the songs to the watched folder.
For example, all the songs for the Beatles help could be in a folder called "Beatles vinyl collection" located somewhere  on my hard drive. When I import it into MC library as well as seeing it in my album listing I would like the album to be moved to "The Beatles" folder and put in a sub folder called "help". This would then be moved to the watched folder.

MikeO

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: auto organise files
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2017, 05:30:19 am »

Import it into the library by Tools>import>import a single folder

Once shown in library , say in recently imported albums then hi light all tracks right
mouse click and in Library Tools you'll find Move or Rename folder

That should work

Mike

johnnie

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2017, 05:42:56 pm »

Thanks Mike. I eventually worked out pretty much what you said. What I don't know is is this something you can automate when new files are imported or do you have to do it manually. How do you select all the songs in an album without using shift and mouse clicks.
Also you mention "recently imported albums". Is this a virtual library that all new files can be imported to? if so can you tell me how to set it up and view it. It sounds like the inbox folder that Musicbee uses. I have been a Musicbee user for years but the prog cannot stream flacs to dlna devices and the mp3 streaming is flaky. This is why I'm looking at MC. So far I'm impressed so help from you chaps is appreciated.

johnnie

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2017, 05:19:10 pm »

once again I'm running out of trial period, 2 days!

BryanC

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2017, 07:02:28 pm »

You can set up auto-import rules to watch directories and import files. What most people do is use a smartlist that catches those files and the RM&C tool to organize the files manually after the metadata is correct.

blgentry

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2017, 07:19:27 pm »

The function of "move my stuff from a dump folder to organized folders" doesn't exist in MC as an automated process.  You can build views to help with this, but it can't be fully automated as far as I know.

But it makes me wonder why one would decide to do a workflow that involves a "dump folder".  Unless you are serially downloading lots of music from various places and just dump it all in the same place.

I rip lots of CDs and the ripping program has a destination that is in my watched folders.  It's naming scheme is almost 100% the same as what I want from MC, so I rarely have to move anything.  It mostly just shows up in the right place and gets imported.

Even if you use a dump folder, you can definitely use RM&C to move your files after the fact.  But you don't strictly need to move them.  MC doesn't care about files or folders.  MC only cares about metadata.  If your metadata is correct then your views (Albums, Artists, etc) will all be correct, no matter where the files are on disk.

Of course I prefer to keep my files organized on disk and I do so with RM&C when I need to.  RM&C is a fantastic organizational tool. 

Brian.

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2017, 07:41:13 pm »

Morning Brian, are you in front of an MC?

Can we apply auto-import rules to the [filename (path)] field?

BryanC

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2017, 11:08:37 pm »

I believe I saw that method (using autotag rules + Carnac to populate Filename (path)) on Interact at some point recently, and I've spent a fair amount of time off and on trying to track it down with no luck. While an interesting concept, such an operation is too risky for my taste.

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2017, 11:54:51 pm »

Well, I have an MC in front of me now, and can report that yes, it does indeed work, but, as you say, it's dependent upon all the required tags being in place, and correct.

For johnnie, let's pick the original post apart...

Can MC do this
If I have an album in a folder outside the watched folder I would like to import the album into the library and move the songs to the watched folder.
"No" is the simple answer. MC doesn't work like that. That's the point of 'watched folders'.
You would add that 'folder outside the watched folder' to your 'watched folders' list, and then MC can auto-import the contents and do with them what you wish.
If you are performing your own tag processing in that folder prior to importing to MC, so don't want MC to watch it, then, when you're done with your tagging, you would simply move them to any folder you know MC is watching, with the rules you set, and MC will take it from there. You're calling it "the watched folder"... are you aware that you can set specific import rules for as many different folders as you like, and MC will watch them all?

For example, all the songs for the Beatles help could be in a folder called "Beatles vinyl collection" located somewhere  on my hard drive. When I import it into MC library as well as seeing it in my album listing I would like the album to be moved to "The Beatles" folder and put in a sub folder called "help". This would then be moved to the watched folder.
Building on my comments above, instead of importing manually into MC, you would move the files into a watched folder, and MC would then auto-import them, and if the auto-import rules set by you dictate that MC must organise those files, it will do just that. However, if the tags contained in these auto-imported files are not present, or not correct, you will not get the results you desire. Does that make sense?

What posters above are advising, is, that by all means, set a folder for MC to watch for new stuff. Dump the new stuff in there. MC will auto-import. You will have a view set up specifically for working with files in that folder, allowing you to quickly run over the tags and correct any that need it, or add any that are missing, and when you're happy, use the rename tool to file them away in their final resting place on your drive.

It's all about approach and workflow. If you really, really want to have MC auto-organise files on import, even after reading all of this, you can, but you must physically move the files into a folder MC is watching to achieve that. Have a think, and let us know which way you want to go and someone will step you through it.

-marko.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2017, 05:44:23 am »

I believe I saw that method (using autotag rules + Carnac to populate Filename (path)) on Interact at some point recently, and I've spent a fair amount of time off and on trying to track it down with no luck. While an interesting concept, such an operation is too risky for my taste.
I suppose you looked at the wiki:
https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Carnac

BryanC

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2017, 08:42:20 am »

I suppose you looked at the wiki:
https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Carnac

While well acquainted with Carnac, I was referring to populating the [Filename (path)] field on import, which in effect performs auto-organization (similar to iTunes). Or in other words, instead of using RM&C to move files, the operation is performed via the tagging system.

johnnie

• Recent member
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2017, 03:14:59 pm »

thanks I think I can work it out now, I'll post if I need more help
Pages: [1]   Go Up