INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Playlists  (Read 1016 times)

MRjr

• World Citizen
Playlists
« on: May 01, 2017, 05:38:58 pm »

I have MC on three machines. My server has a device U:\ that is exported as \\MSrv\Music. The other machines map \\MSrv\Music to local device U:\.

Most things work. All machines see the same music and can alter, add, delete, etc. The main issue is that Playlists are not being shared. On one machine I managed to get the playlists to go to U:\Library\PlayLists. From that machine I can export playlists to the U:\... directory. The other machines do not see that directory and insist on using c:\Users\<User>\AppData\Roaming\J River\Media Center 22\Library\Playlists as the location. I want all machines to use the same location for all data, including the playlists. Most other data has directory settings that are easy to manage. How do I get the Playlists in the same location?

BryanC

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Playlists
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2017, 06:30:12 pm »

Usually this functionality is handled by Library Server. Is this an XY problem? Is there a reason you are setting all of this up manually as opposed to using the built-in library server tools (which share playlists flawlessly)?

Regardless, if you do intend on setting up your multiple instances this way, you will need to add the directory that you are exporting your playlists to on the server to your list of auto-import directories so that they are monitored by MC. This will still require you to manually export playlists whenever you want to update the other clients. One possible workaround is by using an external tool like rsync or syncthing to transfer the playlists that are generated automatically in %appdata% between all of the clients. I've never attempted this so I don't know how feasible it is (for instance if it is safe to directly sync the playlists in %appdata% or if they should be added from an external location via auto-import).

MRjr

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2017, 01:18:09 pm »

When I started with MC I put it on my computer for testing. I had a 2Tb usb drive that I use for all of the JRiver data; or so I thought. The drive was U:\. I then build a computer to act as the server and put JRiver on that machine. I moved the disk, still labeling it as U:\ on the server and exported u:\ as \\MSrv\Music. I have subsequently mounted the service on two other machines as U:\. I set all directories in Options->File Locations to a number of subdirectories under U:/. This seems to work perfectly for everything other than playlists.

My machine is the only one that thinks playlists are U:/Library/Playlists. I agree with you that I would like JRiver to handle playlists. How can I unravel the situation on my machine? Should I reinstall MC on my machine?

MRjr

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2017, 02:52:43 pm »

I reinstalled MC on my computer. The playlists now work although I am not sure of the mechanism. As someone who spent many years programming I find it a bit disturbing but I accept that it is working.

Many Thanks...

Milt
Pages: [1]   Go Up