INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Your licence file is for a different product  (Read 3100 times)

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Your licence file is for a different product
« on: April 24, 2017, 05:16:58 pm »

Just a heads up for those of you, like me, who haven't uninstalled an earlier version of MC. The automatic installation of the licence from the web page, or double clicking on the mjr (Licence) file emailed to you or downloaded, may fail with the message "Your licence file is for a different product."

This could be because MC is trying to install the licence file using an earlier version of the MC Package Installer. You need to make sure that the MC22 Package Installer is used to install your new MC23 licence.

In my case I always download the mjr file and double click it to install the new licence. This failed for me with the above message, because the File Association for the mjr file still points to MC21 for some reason. It should have been pointed to MC22 during the MC22 installation last year, but not all File Associations were updated correctly during that installation. I had to fix a lot manually actually. I must have missed the mjr association.

The solution is to right click on the mjr file, select "Open with", select one of the package installers, and THEN CHECK WHICH version of the MC Package Installer is going to be used to install the file by selecting "Show more details" on the UAC popup window. (You do have User Access Control turned on, right?) See attached image for what I mean. The directory path to the executable will show which version of MC is being used.

Or you could just change the file association to the MC22 "Package Installer" before double clicking on the file.

Or you could just uninstall the earlier version of MC (MC21 in my case) before double clicking on the file.

I hope that helps if anyone sees that "different product" message.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Your licence file is for a different product
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2017, 06:22:29 am »

This probably happened because an older build of MC22 was installed.  Just download and install from our Download Page to get a build that can use an MC23 license.

JohnT

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2017, 08:00:17 am »

If you have both MC21 and MC22 installed on a computer, the one that handles a license installation is the last one that you ran on that computer. 

When MC starts up, it registers itself with Windows as the handler for "MJR" files, so if you start up MC21, it will try to handle MJR files, like when you double-click on one.  If you then start MC22, it will become the MJR handler.

To sum up:   If you have multiple MC versions on your computer, make sure you start up the latest version just before running the MJR license file.
John Thompson, JRiver Media Center

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2017, 05:03:36 pm »

Definitely not correct in my case John.

I hadn't run MC21 in so long I forgot that it was still on the PC. The Package Installer for both MC21 and MC22 were shown as able to handle the MJR file, and the default one remained MC21 when I just double clicked the MJR file, rather than right click and select which installer to use.

This may have been because the original installation of MC22 didn't properly take over file associations, on both my HTPC and Client Workstation. I saw quite a few posts about file associations not working immediately after MC22 was released, so I would guess the same thing happened to other users. So there was an underlying cause, but the situation still occurred. The number of people reporting the "Your licence file is for a different product" error might suggest it is happening to others now, or there could be other issues for them.

Hence, I shared.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner
Pages: [1]   Go Up